Flying at Night

How do I get a permit to fly a phantom drone at night?

What is your location ? USA ? Korea ? Timbuktoo ?

Generally most places allow Hobby Flyers night / day flight as long as in unrestricted safe area. If you go Commercial - that's a different matter.

Nigel

What is your location ? USA ? Korea ? Timbuktoo ?

Generally most places allow Hobby Flyers night / day flight as long as in unrestricted safe area. If you go Commercial - that's a different matter.

Nigel
I'm In USA

I'm In USA

Why do I ask ? People do not put Location in their left side panels ... Why not ?

I know that a large part of the membership is out of USA ... but there is still enough of us 'others' to matter.

To answer a question as you put in first post does not help ... how do we know if you are in Germany ? Japan ? UK etc. ? Some countries have strict rules and others not.

Nigel

So if I have a rec license I can fly at night, correct

Recreational license? No such thing exists in the UAS world in the USA. If you fly "Commercially" you are required to take and pass the knowledge exam and will then be a Part 107 credentialed Remote Operator.

Why do I ask ? People do not put Location in their left side panels ... Why not ?

I know that a large part of the membership is out of USA ... but there is still enough of us 'others' to matter.

To answer a question as you put in first post does not help ... how do we know if you are in Germany ? Japan ? UK etc. ? Some countries have strict rules and others not.

Nigel
I agree with you Nigel. It helps when talking with people, to know where they are coming from.

Reactions: DigitalSkyPilot
Recreational license? No such thing exists in the UAS world in the USA. If you fly "Commercially" you are required to take and pass the knowledge exam and will then be a Part 107 credentialed Remote Operator.

I thought in USA you had voluntary RC qualification via AMA ?

In UK they have the A and B Certificate system issued by BMFA for recreational RC'rs for ALL types ... to fly at shows and comps - they want to see a certificate to indicate proficiency. But it is not an official Govt Licence.

Nigel

Reactions: tomthedroneguy
I thought in USA you had voluntary RC qualification via AMA ?

In UK they have the A and B Certificate system issued by BMFA for recreational RC'rs for ALL types ... to fly at shows and comps - they want to see a certificate to indicate proficiency. But it is not an official Govt Licence.

Nigel

We are merely required to follow a set of Community Based Organization Guidelines. Here's the more accurate reply:

Flying for Fun Under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
  1. What is the definition of recreational or hobby use of a UAS?
    Recreational or hobby UAS use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire. In the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, the FAA relied on the ordinary, dictionary definition of these terms. UAS use for hobby is a "pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation." UAS use for recreation is "refreshment of strength and spirits after work; a means of refreshment or division."

2. Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby?
    There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:
    1. Register their UAS with the FAA
    2. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
    3. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
    4. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
    5. Give way to manned aircraft
    6. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
    7. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization

I did read the AMA and FAA papers especially when the Registration Fiasco started over a year ago.

We used it as an example to our 'body' as to how daft it can be !!

EU at moment is setting in place rules in common for all EU locations that will give exemption to those flying ANY model within size limits and within Rules / Guidelines of a Club / Community Association. Unfortunately it leaves the individual out there and needing to do something like join a club .. but at least it is reasonably logical and fair.

The problem we have in Latvia is the lack of enthusiasm on flyers part to join clubs as they have enjoyed freedom to fly alone without hassle and of course still do (except for Airport / Restricted areas ot course).

I was drafting the proposed Guidelines to submit to Clubs, using examples from UK, Germany, France and other areas - but received such little support .. in fact in some cases flat out refusal to even consider. I actually gave up in the end. It would have provided Insurance Cover organised by us in LARPAS, National representation in the Committees with CAA, EU acceptance and recognition. With desired result of only limited Club based restrictions on Flyers.

Despite being a Brit - I feel the BMFA approach to it has been far better than AMA and FAA battle. It has resulted in reasonable guidelines that most flyers can live with.

Nigel

Reactions: BigAl07
Whether commercial or recreational, the same safety issues exist. At a minimum, you should look at a flight planning application to determine the nature of restrictions of flight space near you. If there are any airports or hospitals (heli-pads) near you, you should give them your contact info. If there are other lights (highways, bridges, residential or commercial areas) near you, your drone lghts will blend in and the manned aircraft will not have a chance.

So help me understand this. A hobbyists can just go out and fly at night with a drone not equipped with anti collision lights visible for 3 miles in lets say class g air space but a 107 pilot needs a waiver to do the same thing and he better have anti collision lights. 1 more thing since it is getting posted on you tube, could that be a commercial use by the hobbyists?

A rec flyer has to follow all the rules in the book. I have never read anywhere that a rec pilot could just go out and fly without lights or disregard any safety issues. If there is give me a link. I am still learning. Those that break the rules , fly unsafe, or bring up issues that are not a real problem bring excess legislation that will eventually regulate us right out of the sky. If I was 107 material I would wonder why I would be required to do things rec flyers don't. But getting more regulation is not in our better interest.

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
I was just commenting on the first few Post in this thread as it appears a hobbyist flyer does not follow the same rules as someone under part 107 as they mentioned night flying, they should have to have anti Collision lights visible for 3 miles,stay within Visual line-of-sight and have a waiver but someone posted hobbyist can fly at night without these things, at least thats how i read the posts.

There is a common misunderstanding between the 101 & 107.

101 assumes your following the guidelines posted at time of registration which include the adherence to, so-called, CBO or community based organization (AMA for example) safety codes. These are generally tied to a 'flying field' or other remote site. These codes provide for night flights.

107 is different since there is little to no need for commercial operations at one of those [traditionally remote] sites. Thus waivers may be required to fly in similar situations, such as at night, when conducting flights for pay or future commercialization.
A 107 holder may fly as a 101 pilot at any time its appropriate but a 101 pilot must hold a 107 when the intent of the flight is $s.

I as a newer Drone Operator am dismayed by the misinformation and lack of knowledge even from seasoned pilots.

In the U.S.A. if you fly under Part 107 you have to be a licensed FAA Certified Remote Pilot. You may then seek waivers to fly at night, fly above 400ft, fly BVLOS, fly in restricted airspace, fly over people. Unless you have really good reasons even as a licensed pilot you probably won't get a waiver.

As a recreational pilot you CAN NOT get a Waiver. Therefore none of activities such as flying at night, flying above 400ft, flying over tall buildings, flying beyond VLOS, charging to take wedding photos or real estate photos. None of these activities can be performed PERIOD. The only exception I'm aware of is flying above 400 ft to avoid a collision of a manned aircraft in an emergency.

It's so simple, you can't do it without being licensed, and then and only then under special circumstances spelled out in your waiver.

I’ll be specific here and focus only on the portion of your comments with regards to the thread’s title....

Hobbyists can fly at night. Period.
There are requirements for proper on-board Illumination however.

It seems you are extrapolating to arrive at your conclusion as opposed to providing such a rule, law, etc. which states it’s prohibited.

Reactions: ravedog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan