Flying at night with metal flashlight

What do they say? Have a lnk?
copyright copy.jpg

Go to banggood.com and pick from the many lightweight LED’s and battery combos. I’ve used a section of the strip lights with adhesive backing powered by a 9 volt battery. The strip lights can be stuck on most anywhere and even allowed to trail the drone like a kite tail with a small weight at the end to avoid the props!

Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF.

I am kind of scared to fly at night. I don't have the money to blow on a professional drone light or beacon. I have a metal flashlight. I was wondering if the metal flashlight would interfear since it's metal. Will it interfear.
Thank's for the help.
Dronesolice, you said it yourself, your kinda scared to fly at night. Pehaps that is your inner sense telling you your opening yourself up to loss of your drone if it crashes or is lost. If caught hugh financial loss through fines and inprisionment. So I would just caution you that flying your drone after sunset or before sunrise is illegal unless you have anti-collision strobes visible for a minimum of 3 miles.

The rules are there to protect the National Airspace.

That all being said whatever you do post videos so we can see your success and failures to learn by your example.

Last edited:
Check this out: STROBON Standalone - Flytron
I use something similar on my glider (but powered by the receiver) and it works very well, the strobe is visible from far away even at dusk. The standalone unit has the obvious advantage of not requiring any external power source, making it the perfect choice for a Phantom. Not the cheapest option, but definitely the best.
I have used their lights on all of mine and are supper good!! I have red/green on legs front and back and clear on back to see which dirrection it is flying. Well worth the little money!!!

Where is the rule against flying at night?? Don't just repeat what isn't true. I fly MOSTLY at night.
Public Law 112-95 Feb. 14, 2012
Sec. 334
Where is the rule against flying at night?? Don't just repeat what isn't true. I fly MOSTLY at night.
I stand corrected. Thank You

GrammatonxXXxCleric, I stand corrected because the law I had read applied to Public Unmanned Aircraft Systems Sec. 334 (C) (iii) which applied to government public safety agency operated aircraft e.g. State and Municiple entities and not Recreational Only under Sec. 336 I corrected my post. Thank You.

Metal isn't a problem - steel is.
Is your flashlight made of steel?
You can see how it affects a compass by putting the flashlight close to a compass (or a phone with a compass app) and observe what effect it has on the compass.
I'd be concerned about how:
you would mount a flashlight on the Phantom
how the weight and balance affected the Phantom​
And Unless it's a very bright light, I doubt it would do anything useful anyway.
Metal is not the problem, the weigh of the light and the battery will be too heavy for the drone.

If you hold a 107 cert and from what I understand are flying under that with said flight, then night flights are not allowed unless a waiver is sought. I imagine sooner or later night flights will be controlled, but until then as long as the rules are followed concerning safety I enjoy nocturnal aerial adventures.

Metal is not the problem, the weigh of the light and the battery will be too heavy for the drone.
Carbon steel parts will be interfering with the compass if too close to it. Currently I am testing the max safe weight the Phantom 3 can carry. So far I have tested 1.5lbs for a 5 minute test. The drone had no problem lifting it, the motors got fairly warm while the props kept them cool, but once the motors were stopped they got much warmer until normal cooling occurred. I then tested just 1lb with the same duration and that seemed to be acceptable motor heat wise and the drone was not complaining as much. The battery was quite warm after the tests, but was the same battery used back to back with both tests within a 10 minute time frame. The light system I am looking to use is 1lb (16oz). The flights I will be wanting to do using the 16oz. weight should be ok. It would not be distant flights, but close and low. The flight duration will be measurably shorter due to the increased weight of the lights since the ying and yang of the universe commands such sacrifices.

I am kind of scared to fly at night. I don't have the money to blow on a professional drone light or beacon. I have a metal flashlight. I was wondering if the metal flashlight would interfear since it's metal. Will it interfear.
Thank's for the help.
I agree with Just _nick: If you're Part 107 Cetified, you should know better. If not, there are some rather cool rigs shown on this thread. However, do you want to be responsible for someone's cardiac arrest as they mistake your drone for either LGM or a CIA kill mission? Also, drones at night are pure terror to pets, so be kind however you end up going.

Latest LED light test:

Reactions: Mike Davies
Whats the idea behind this air borne flash lite !....if its to help in hunting....thats illegal !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl