Flying A Yunecc in Arches National Park!

I was [Language Removed by Moderator] because he was flying like a he never flew one before! The winds were high he had several people afraid to get close to there cars! Completely disruptive of the other visitors! I saw the drone from about a mile away if he wasn’t fly the way he was I might not have noticed it! So yeah I was assertive when I approached him! His response and body language is why I reported him! The girls with him knew he wasn’t supposed to be there that’s why they started walking away before I even rolled Down my window!
You saw the drone from a mile away. I appreciate your eyesight. I wish I could see that well. I bet you are a good hunter.

Reactions: Gary E
Finally found a mavic clip I Shot legaly from outside The boundary Of Devils Tower it was the last flight of this particular Mavic the next time I sent it up some serious winds came and it was lost! I was going to make up a story and Say ET Abducted it so he could finally go home if I knew he was still waiting I would have sent him my Cell so he could Phone Home First. But I don’t lie! So there’s no point in starting now you can use your imagination on what happened? I don’t believe in ET wont till I see one!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was on a Long Vacation on 09/08/2018 i was Leaving Arches National Park and see a Yuneec Drone in the air about midway in the Park! I did go up to this Guy And asked him to bring it down or get reported!....

I do have one valid question for you:

How did you know, before you confronted him and demanded he land or get reported, that he did not have the proper credentials to fly there legally?

I do have one valid question for you:

How did you know, before you confronted him and demanded he land or get reported, that he did not have the proper credentials to fly there legally?
Either your not from the USA or don’t know the laws on flying drones in national parks (there are no permits or exceptions unless you are with a movie or tv company that paid a large sum to block off part of one of the National parks)

You saw the drone from a mile away. I appreciate your eyesight. I wish I could see that well. I bet you are a good hunter.
20/10 as long as I could remember and I said he was flying erratic or I may not have noticed it birds don’t stop in mid air and change direction multiple times a second not any bird I have ever seen! Only a drone can’t fly this way! The only thing that’s supposed to be in the air in any national park is of course Air, and Birds

20/10 as long as I could remember and I said he was flying erratic or I may not have noticed it birds don’t stop in mid air and change direction multiple times a second not any bird I have ever seen! Only a drone can’t fly this way! The only thing that’s supposed to be in the air in any national park is of course Air, and Birds and ufos if you believe

Either your not from the USA or don’t know the laws on flying drones in national parks (there are no permits or exceptions unless you are with a movie or tv company that paid a large sum to block off part of one of the National parks)

Well, my fellow aviator, as much as this probably pains you, I'm very much from the good ole US of A. And again this will pain you but you are WRONG! How do I know? I've flown from NPS land multiple times. Just for kicks & grins check out these images captured LEGALLY while standing on, launching from, and landing on NPS land. All done with FULL approval with NPS (in fact for a good portion of the day the NPS ranger was standing by my side admiring the video feed from my aircraft) and it didn't cost me a LARGE SUM ($0.00) and we only blocked off the LZ area (I was flying over unpopulated area BTW).

20116831_1696764700356969_2122421950039984646_o.jpg

20116761_1696764747023631_7305624360579659078_o.jpg

20158022_1696764557023650_5029056403648006211_o.jpg

Here's an exert directly from the NPS website:

In general, launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft in units of the National Park System is prohibited. However, there are exceptions where use is allowed subject to NPS approval:
  • The use of model aircraft for hobby and recreational use is allowed if authorized in writing prior to the date of the June 2014 NPS policy memorandum for locations and under conditions (i) established by a superintendent; or (ii) issued under a special use permit. Model aircraft are defined in Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Advisory Circular 91-57 and Section 336 of the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2012.

• Administrative use of unmanned aircraft is allowed if approved in writing by the NPS for such purposes as scientific study, search and rescue operations, fire operations, and law enforcement. Administrative use includes the use of unmanned aircraft by (i) NPS personnel as operators or crew; (ii) cooperators such as government agencies and universities that conduct unmanned aircraft operations for the NPS pursuant to a written agreement; and (iii) other entities, including commercial entities, conducting unmanned aircraft operations for the NPS, provided such entities are in compliance with all applicable FAA and Department of the Interior requirements.

• Activities conducted under a Scientific Research and Collecting Permit are allowed where the permit authorizes launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft and is approved in writing by the NPS. The online research permit system is available here.

• Activities conducted under a special use permit are allowed where the permit authorizes launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft and is approved in writing by the NPS.

So you'll see a LOT more is allowed in addition to the "with a movie or tv company that paid a large sum to block off part of one of the National parks"

For those who want to read the RULES and get the full details check this out (this is not the FAQ page):

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) - Natural Sounds (U.S. National Park Service)

You're Welcome :)

And if you want to take the time to read the actual MEMO that was issued on sUAS you can read it here:

To:

Reactions: dirkclod
Well, my fellow aviator, as much as this probably pains you, I'm very much from the good ole US of A. And again this will pain you but you are WRONG! How do I know? I've flown from NPS land multiple times. Just for kicks & grins check out these images captured LEGALLY while standing on, launching from, and landing on NPS land. All done with FULL approval with NPS (in fact for a good portion of the day the NPS ranger was standing by my side admiring the video feed from my aircraft) and it didn't cost me a LARGE SUM ($0.00) and we only blocked off the LZ area (I was flying over unpopulated area BTW).

20116831_1696764700356969_2122421950039984646_o.jpg

20116761_1696764747023631_7305624360579659078_o.jpg

20158022_1696764557023650_5029056403648006211_o.jpg

In general, launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft in units of the National Park System is prohibited. However, there are exceptions where use is allowed subject to NPS approval:
  • The use of model aircraft for hobby and recreational use is allowed if authorized in writing prior to the date of the June 2014 NPS policy memorandum for locations and under conditions (i) established by a superintendent; or (ii) issued under a special use permit. Model aircraft are defined in Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Advisory Circular 91-57 and Section 336 of the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2012.

• Administrative use of unmanned aircraft is allowed if approved in writing by the NPS for such purposes as scientific study, search and rescue operations, fire operations, and law enforcement. Administrative use includes the use of unmanned aircraft by (i) NPS personnel as operators or crew; (ii) cooperators such as government agencies and universities that conduct unmanned aircraft operations for the NPS pursuant to a written agreement; and (iii) other entities, including commercial entities, conducting unmanned aircraft operations for the NPS, provided such entities are in compliance with all applicable FAA and Department of the Interior requirements.

• Activities conducted under a Scientific Research and Collecting Permit are allowed where the permit authorizes launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft and is approved in writing by the NPS. The online research permit system is available here.

• Activities conducted under a special use permit are allowed where the permit authorizes launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft and is approved in writing by the NPS.

So you'll see a LOT more is allowed in addition to the "with a movie or tv company that paid a large sum to block off part of one of the National parks"

For those who want to read the RULES and get the full details check this out (this is not the FAQ page):

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) - Natural Sounds (U.S. National Park Service)

You're Welcome :)

And if you want to take the time to read the actual MEMO that was issued on sUAS you can read it here:

To:

The law is clear! Only NPS can fly a drone in the parks with the Directors approval or a movie or tv studio with the fees paid and again with approval from the director not a ranger! The rangers are worker ants the answer to the director! But again if you got away with it great if you keep doing it there can be fines up to $5000 and possibly jail time nothing changes the rules for you!
These are the rules as they stand today
Unmanned aircraft” is defined as a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the device. This term includes all types of devices that meet this definition (e.g., model airplanes, quadcopters, drones) that are used for any purpose, including for recreation or commerce.

In some cases, their use has resulted in noise and nuisance complaints from park visitors, park visitor safety concerns, and one documented incident in which park wildlife were harassed. Small drones have crashed in geysers in Yellowstone National Park, attempted to land on the features of Mount Rushmore National Memorial, been lost over the edge of the Grand Canyon, and been stopped from flying in Prohibited Airspace over the Mall in Washington DC.

Policy Memorandum 14-05, released by the National Park Service (NPS) director in June 2014, directed each superintendent to use the authority under 36 CFR 1.5 to prohibit the launching, landing, or operation of unmanned aircraft, subject to the certain conditions and exceptions set forth in the memo. This is still in force with a very few exceptions.

This action applies to the launching, landing, and operation of unmanned aircraft on lands and waters administered by the NPS. Jurisdiction by the NPS ends at the park boundary. The policy memorandum does not modify any requirement imposed by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on the use or operation of unmanned aircraft in the National Airspace System.

Is violation of the prohibition on unmanned aircraft a felony? Misdemeanor?
Violation of the ban is a misdemeanor with the maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $5,000 fine.

These are the rules as they stand today
Unmanned aircraft” is defined as a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the device. This term includes all types of devices that meet this definition (e.g., model airplanes, quadcopters, drones) that are used for any purpose, including for recreation or commerce.

In some cases, their use has resulted in noise and nuisance complaints from park visitors, park visitor safety concerns, and one documented incident in which park wildlife were harassed. Small drones have crashed in geysers in Yellowstone National Park, attempted to land on the features of Mount Rushmore National Memorial, been lost over the edge of the Grand Canyon, and been stopped from flying in Prohibited Airspace over the Mall in Washington DC.

Policy Memorandum 14-05, released by the National Park Service (NPS) director in June 2014, directed each superintendent to use the authority under 36 CFR 1.5 to prohibit the launching, landing, or operation of unmanned aircraft, subject to the certain conditions and exceptions set forth in the memo. This is still in force with a very few exceptions.

This action applies to the launching, landing, and operation of unmanned aircraft on lands and waters administered by the NPS. Jurisdiction by the NPS ends at the park boundary. The policy memorandum does not modify any requirement imposed by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on the use or operation of unmanned aircraft in the National Airspace System.

Any chance you read any of the links I left? Or even the QUOTE I put from the NPS in the post? Here let me get that for you:

I can 100% assure you I fly by the rules ALWAYS! You just don't know what you're talking about and I've shown it in writing (2 different times now) but you are refusing to accept it as fact. I'm not asking you to take my word for it but to take it from the NPS website directly or from the actual memo from 2014 which I also linked.

Also you may want to edit post #30 as you inserted your words (accusing me of lying to the world) in the middle of my post so it makes ZERO sense as it's written now.

Any chance you read any of the links I left? Or even the QUOTE I put from the NPS in the post? Here let me get that for you:

There has been much discussion on getting permission to fly and nobody but you claims to have done so so again I doubt you were able to unless your somebody special using scientific resources to do such and trolling me to get me rialed up over something that was obviously not under the same circumstances this guy had no permission to fly the rangers were out looking for him! If he had any permission they would not have wanted my dashcam video! Law enforcement generally know if a exception has been made! So what ever circumstances you flew in NFZ permission or not you are not impressing me! A professional with permission is not going to act cocky about it and continue to use there special privileges

I can 100% assure you I fly by the rules ALWAYS! You just don't know what you're talking about and I've shown it in writing (2 different times now) but you are refusing to accept it as fact. I'm not asking you to take my word for it but to take it from the NPS website directly or from the actual memo from 2014 which I also linked.

Also you may want to edit post #30 as you inserted your words (accusing me of lying to the world) in the middle of my post so it makes ZERO sense as it's written now.
If your not lying your a rare exception that I have never seen before! A lot of people have tried to get said permission but only you claim to have obtained such permission! Do I believe you? It doesn’t matter it’s off topic the guy I saw DID NOT HAVE PERMISSION! End of story! Any special privileges you may or may not have is a mute point!

There has been much discussion on getting permission to fly and nobody but you claims to have done so so again I doubt you were able to unless your somebody special using scientific resources to do such and trolling me to get me rialed up over something that was obviously not under the same circumstances this guy had no permission to fly the rangers were out looking for him! If he had any permission they would not have wanted my dashcam video! Law enforcement generally know if a exception has been made! So what ever circumstances you flew in NFZ permission or not you are not impressing me! A professional with permission is not going to act cocky about it and continue to use there special privileges

The point is you did NOT know ahead of time if he had the credentials you only ASSUMED he didn't. You simply can't admit it. You being confrontational like that is not being a good sUAS ambassador to say the least.

There have been several people who have gotten permission to fly from NPS land but we don't come running online to announce it to the world the moment it's happened. Only people who don't get permission have to run online ASAP to complain about not being allowed to fly.

For the record and for total transparency I was flying in support of our Search & Rescue operations and then again this fall for a SAR training mission.

The point is you did NOT know ahead of time if he had the credentials you only ASSUMED he didn't. You simply can't admit it. You being confrontational like that is not being a good sUAS ambassador to say the least.

There have been several people who have gotten permission to fly from NPS land but we don't come running online to announce it to the world the moment it's happened. Only people who don't get permission have to run online ASAP to complain about not being allowed to fly.

For the record and for total transparency I was flying in support of our Search & Rescue operations and then again this fall for a SAR training mission.
Yes I did if he did have permission he would not have been flying the way he was he was only trying to impress some young girls that took off! Getting a girl in bed is in no way a reason for approval to fly in a NFZ

Yes I did if he did have permission he would not have been flying the way he was he was only trying to impress some young girls that took off! Getting a girl in bed is in no way a reason for approval to fly in a NFZ

Once again only your assumptions. Facts are what matters and you only assumed. You got lucky and was right but it's nothing more than that. People can and do get permission to fly in NPS (not often and not easily) so maybe going forward you should just report it and not be "that guy" and be confrontational. It's not your place to be that guy unless you have a badge and credentials. Period.

And you know what for being a mod you sure have something to prove I hope ther person running th site sees your insistence that I was wrong somehow in reporting him! For what he did ! And continue to try to make me look like idiot by rubbing in your special and can fly in a NP

And you know what for being a mod you sure have something to prove I hope ther person running th site sees your insistence that I was wrong somehow in reporting him! For what he did ! And continue to try to make me look like idiot by rubbing in your special and can fly in a NP

Just the facts my friend. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: Sdemaio
Once again only your assumptions. Facts are what matters and you only assumed. You got lucky and was right but it's nothing more than that. People can and do get permission to fly in NPS (not often and not easily) so maybe going forward you should just report it and not be "that guy" and be confrontational. It's not your place to be that guy unless you have a badge and credentials. Period.
Wrong guy every person in the USA has the rite to protect themselves and others from any threat you don’t need anymore information.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31