Flyaway in "Follow me" mode

Yea definitely interference from towers.
Definitely ??
There was a tower nearby but there was definitely NO evidence of any interference from the communication tower having any effect on the flight
I explained in post # 58 above that there was no a hint of any.

If you can see any more evidence that the presence of a nearby tower, I'd be very interested.

I mentioned a couple of posts back (http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/flyaway-in-follow-me-mode.76638/page-2#post-784421) that there are two types of FollowMe mode flyaways. The posts so far seem to assume that this flyaway was of the type where the tablet didn't have a accurate GPS coordinates. I think that this flyaway was due to the second type of FollowMe mode flyaway; i.e. the tablet has and transmits accurate GPS coordinates but a software glitch on the P3 corrupts those coordinates. A really good example of this type of FollowMe mode flyaway can be seen here. and for the next 20 or 30 posts.

These flyaways always occur at the exact moment that FollowMe mode is initiated. That's what happened in this flight the second time that FollowMe mode was initiated at time 392.2
upload_2016-5-1_5-56-18.png

The orange line going to 25 indicates FollowMe mode. The second time FollowMe mode is inititiated the blue line (speed) shows the P3 going from near zero to 22 M/sec.

Just to be clear type 2 FollowMe mode flyaways are not caused by the tablet having a less than accurate GPS fix. In that regard questions about cell towers causing GPS problems are moot.

@Gpanek If you want to know for sure if this is what happened to this flight you'll need to retrieve and post the .DAT for the flight.

I noticed a couple of post where it was stated that the logs indicated that the tablet had inaccurate GPS info. How was this determined? AFAIK there is only one .txt converter that yields the GPS coordinates of the tablet. And, that converter shows the tablet GPS coordinates being (0.0, 0.0)

Reactions: Petros5678
I mentioned a couple of posts back (http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/flyaway-in-follow-me-mode.76638/page-2#post-784421) that there are two types of FollowMe mode flyaways. The posts so far seem to assume that this flyaway was of the type where the tablet didn't have a accurate GPS coordinates. I think that this flyaway was due to the second type of FollowMe mode flyaway; i.e. the tablet has and transmits accurate GPS coordinates but a software glitch on the P3 corrupts those coordinates. A really good example of this type of FollowMe mode flyaway can be seen here. and for the next 20 or 30 posts.

These flyaways always occur at the exact moment that FollowMe mode is initiated. That's what happened in this flight the second time that FollowMe mode was initiated at time 392.2
View attachment 52263
The orange line going to 25 indicates FollowMe mode. The second time FollowMe mode is inititiated the blue line (speed) shows the P3 going from near zero to 22 M/sec.

Just to be clear type 2 FollowMe mode flyaways are not caused by the tablet having a less than accurate GPS fix. In that regard questions about cell towers causing GPS problems are moot.

@Gpanek If you want to know for sure if this is what happened to this flight you'll need to retrieve and post the .DAT for the flight.

I noticed a couple of post where it was stated that the logs indicated that the tablet had inaccurate GPS info. How was this determined? AFAIK there is only one .txt converter that yields the GPS coordinates of the tablet. And, that converter shows the tablet GPS coordinates being (0.0, 0.0)
i have uploaded the flight record. From the log viewer I downloaded the csv file and the KML file which I ran on google earth. While moving the cursor over the path, at one point a warning popped up that the droid gps was lost. Thats the only place I saw it. I had tried follow me before this and it worked while walking. then tried it again and started recording and it took off on its own in totally the wrong direction. this is on record 11-16-04. then the third time it also took off which was recorded on video and that is flight record 10-57-16. You mentioned the DAT files but I only see these txt files.

whats strange is that it flew backwards from me at speeds around 22mph, almost like it was on course lock. I wasnt even moving the sticks according to the logs. Any suggestions are appreciated, in the meantime, i dont think I will be using this IOC since its too dependent on the gps of the smartphone.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2016-04-29_[10-57-16][1].txt
    552.5 KB · Views: 192
  • DJIFlightRecord_2016-04-29_[11-06-04][1].txt
    229.7 KB · Views: 195
i have uploaded the flight record. From the log viewer I downloaded the csv file and the KML file which I ran on google earth. While moving the cursor over the path, at one point a warning popped up that the droid gps was lost. Thats the only place I saw it. I had tried follow me before this and it worked while walking. then tried it again and started recording and it took off on its own in totally the wrong direction. this is on record 11-16-04. then the third time it also took off which was recorded on video and that is flight record 10-57-16. You mentioned the DAT files but I only see these txt files.

whats strange is that it flew backwards from me at speeds around 22mph, almost like it was on course lock. I wasnt even moving the sticks according to the logs. Any suggestions are appreciated, in the meantime, i dont think I will be using this IOC since its too dependent on the gps of the smartphone.
here is the link to the log viewer display Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I'm on travel and won't be back for a week or so. I'm restricted to my iPad and don't have access to my normal PC. Is the .txt you attached the same one you attached earlier in this thread? That was the .txt I used to produce the plot in my post you replied to. To know more about your incident it's necessary to have the .DAT. Go to datfile.net and select the "Retrieving ..." Tab to see how to do that. That might help if you're pursuing a warranty claim with DJI.

In the FMM incidents that I've looked at it seems that the conclusion is don't use the FMM.

If you can find the thread where @AndersGB had a FMM incident I think you'll find that really interesting.

I'm on travel and won't be back for a week or so. I'm restricted to my iPad and don't have access to my normal PC. Is the .txt you attached the same one you attached earlier in this thread? That was the .txt I used to produce the plot in my post you replied to. To know more about your incident it's necessary to have the .DAT. Go to datfile.net and select the "Retrieving ..." Tab to see how to do that. That might help if you're pursuing a warranty claim with DJI.

In the FMM incidents that I've looked at it seems that the conclusion is don't use the FMM.

If you can find the thread where @AndersGB had a FMM incident I think you'll find that really interesting.
ok, I downloaded the DAT files and was going to upload but it says file too large. tried to open in wordpad and notepad but no luck. I'm not sure what to do with this file.

Hi, apologies for jumping into the thread,

I'm a new P3S owner and I believe exactly the same thing has happened to me. Unfortunately, it was during my first proper flight and I panicked and the end result was a crashed P3S. Broke a prop and caused superficial damage but she still flies ok, thankfully. I had been flying for a bit and then changed to 'Follow Me' mode. The P3S then pitched suddenly and flew off at high speed over a canal and into trees on the other side of the canal. Luckily, it landed on the bank and not in the water!

Unfortunately I wasn't videoing at the time as the SD card was full. It gave me quite a fright and as a beginner I didn't really know what to do (I didn't expect the thing to head off at a serious rate of knots in the opposite direction to be honest!!).

Here is a snap of my flight data from the incident. I'm now Googling 'Mode 25' and 'Follow Me flyaway' for more info.

flightdata1.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20