Flyaway in "Follow me" mode

yes, i do have this but the detailed version which is usually a file like this DJIFlightRecord_2016-02-12_[15-33-10].txt
for today is not there. Other days are there but nothing for today. I cant figure it out.
If you can see the flight record, there should be a txt file.
The flight records are in: Internal Storage/DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord

Shouldn't this be in the P3 section?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That would be very unusual
Look in your flight records.
Is there a record of the flight here?
i-6Nm6NjP-L.png
Maybe the battery falling out had something to do with the lack of a flight record? Spitballing.

If you can see the flight record, there should be a txt file.
The flight records are in: Internal Storage/DJI/dji.pilot/FlightRecord
thats exactly where i looked. I have been there before, no problem. this time nothing for today. Same with my tablet which i had been using earlier. just switched to phone for the followme mode.No flight records for today on tablet either. I wonder if it has something to do with latest upgrade of dji go

First thing I noticed is that huge tower off to the right (39 seconds in the clip)... I don't fly near any transmission towers, because they're
transmitting signals that might interfere with your signal, the compass (yes, the compass) or the sensors used to
control the Phantom 3.

Those disks on the tower look like Line Of Sight Network antennae. If they are, they can cause electro-magnetic interference.
Not saying that's definitely the cause... I just know a little about LOS Networks... I avoid them. Bad Joo-joo.

Glad you got your bird back!! Happy ending. Came too close to that power line though!
TOTALLY!!! This mystery is solved, rf overload, I avoid towers and will stay miles from them.

Reactions: Gpanek
TOTALLY!!! This mystery is solved, rf overload, I avoid towers and will stay miles from them.
That's just another guess and it doesn't seem to be a very good one.
The tower is some distance from where the flight started.
The Phantom flew straight and true until it was stopped just past the tower.
The Phantom was flown back perfectly along the reciprocal course.
I don't see that tower doing much to interfere in this case.

Without flight data it's very hard for anyone to be sure what caused this.

That's just another guess and it doesn't seem to be a very good one.
The tower is some distance from where the flight started.
The Phantom flew straight and true until it was stopped just past the tower.
The Phantom was flown back perfectly along the reciprocal course.
I don't see that tower doing much to interfere in this case.

Without flight data it's very hard for anyone to be sure what caused this.
you stay puzzled, I was a ham radio operator as a teen. And know that rf at concentrated levels will interfere despite there being a seperation in frequency.
My dad also a ham would crank out 50 watts on 2 meter and our tv reception would white out, the two rf bands are very far apart. STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM RADIO TOWERS.

you stay puzzled, I was a ham radio operator as a teen. And know that rf at concentrated levels will interfere despite there being a seperation in frequency.
My dad also a ham would crank out 50 watts on 2 meter and our tv reception would white out, the two rf bands are very far apart. STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM RADIO TOWERS.
There's no doubt that rf can create interference
But there's no proof that it caused any interference on that flight and even less evidence that it had anything to do with the temporary loss of control.
It's highly unlikely that that sort of interference would make a Phantom zip away at speed.
And if it did, how was the operator able to stop it and easily fly back?

Proof requires a lot more than saying .. maybe this did it?

But there's no proof that it caused any interference on that flight and even less evidence that it had anything to do with the temporary loss of control.
It's highly unlikely that that sort of interference would make a Phantom sip away at speed.

You may be correct but I
It's highly unlikely that that sort of interference would make a Phantom zip away at speed.

I'm glad you're aware that rf interference can be a cause for issues. I have personal experience of this fact to such a degree that seeing this tower made me cringe.

I'm glad you are aligned with the fact that rf interference is a genuine threat.

A drone has sensitive rf receivers, why fly it remotely close to a tower that radiates God knows how many watts of rf power at it?

I could be wrong, but looking at this from a different point of view.
When you use follow me mode, your location to be tracked comes from the GPS in your phone. Anyone who has ever used a cellphone GPS can attest to a high degree of fluctuation with regard to location. One moment the cellphone displays you on a road, the next moment your in a field. I would think that this may have been a case of the cellphone providing an inaccurate datapoint and the bird simply tracking to its perceived location. I also believe that the straight path, albeit not what you wanted, supports a normal vs erratic behavior. Perhaps testing your cellphone with an app like Google earth, in the same local, will give some credibility or discount to this being plausible.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think OP mistakenly lowered the right stick down and kept holding it until he lifted his hand to press RTH.

No interference. Its a simple case of wrong operation.

I have a rather new P3A and was trying out the follow me mode, when the drone took off flying backwards. I hit the RTH button and it stopped and came back but I don't know what might have caused that. I was having difficulty reading the screen on my droid phone because of glare but I kept getting some kind of warning about altitude must be between 10m-120m, so I kept raising it and hit accept. Then it turned and shot backwards like a bat outta hell. Any ideas of what might have happened? here is the video
Hi
when you are in follow me. it use compass in your phone / Ipad to know where you are . That compass must be wrong ! or not turn on, you lucky with powerline, or powerline lucky you did not hit it :)

Hi
when you are in follow me. it use compass in your phone / Ipad to know where you are . That compass must be wrong ! or not turn on, you lucky with powerline, or powerline lucky you did not hit it :)
Follow-me doesn't care about the phone's compass - all it uses is the GPS position of the phone/tablet

I have a rather new P3A and was trying out the follow me mode, when the drone took off flying backwards. I hit the RTH button and it stopped and came back but I don't know what might have caused that. I was having difficulty reading the screen on my droid phone because of glare but I kept getting some kind of warning about altitude must be between 10m-120m, so I kept raising it and hit accept. Then it turned and shot backwards like a bat outta hell. Any ideas of what might have happened? here is the video
This sounds a lot like several FollowMe mode fly aways that have been happening recently. There are two types; both resulting in the P3 not knowing the correct location of the tablet. The first type is that the tablet's GPS is temporarily not accurate enough. The second type is that the correct coordinates get transmitted to the P3 but then they are corrupted before the P3 uses the them for navigation control.

A thread was started to centralize looking at those flyaways. Look here Follow Me mode fly-aways That thread has links to other incidents like yours.

To follow up on this, today (12 hours later) the flight records magically appeared on both my tablet (which I used prior to the "follow me") and my droid phone which I used during the flyaway. Not during the flyaway, but at other times compass error and yaw error came up. I wonder if this had something to do with the tower. Also ATTI mode comes up now and then looking at the google earth display (kml file), however I never switched to ATTI, only switch full up in P or full down in F. I am uploading the flight record .txt file with this post. Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2016-04-29_[10-57-16][1].txt
    552.5 KB · Views: 340
I could be wrong, but looking at this from a different point of view.
When you use follow me mode, your location to be tracked comes from the GPS in your phone. Anyone who has ever used a cellphone GPS can attest to a high degree of fluctuation with regard to location. One moment the cellphone displays you on a road, the next moment your in a field. I would think that this may have been a case of the cellphone providing an inaccurate datapoint and the bird simply tracking to its perceived location. I also believe that the straight path, albeit not what you wanted, supports a normal vs erratic behavior. Perhaps testing your cellphone with an app like Google earth, in the same local, will give some credibility or discount to this being plausible.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Could be true, in the flight record there were times when it was reporting weak GPS signal from droid.

I think OP mistakenly lowered the right stick down and kept holding it until he lifted his hand to press RTH.

No interference. Its a simple case of wrong operation.
I did pull it back but only briefly when I saw it had no affect, couldnt see that it was going backwards. I found the flight record and the report is here Phantom 3 Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4