Flyaway after updating firmware

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Well... I've had my Phantom for a few weeks now and have absolutely loved it... zero problems at all. Last night I updated my firmware to 2.18 and NAZA version 4.0. Well, today I took the Phantom out and was showing a friend in a parking lot how easily it flies and it got up just fine but began to drift away from me and didn't seem to respond to my controls. I had it in GPS mode and switched into Attitude but it didn't help. I turned off the remote hoping it would fly home but it never did. It was seriously the most gut wrenching feeling :cry:

I searched for an hour or so but it really could've gone anywhere so I left and am now hoping someone finds it and calls me since my number is on it. I have a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with...

1. Why can't you track the Phantom's last known position from a computer since it has a GPS built in?

2. What is DJI's stance on flyways? I don't think I should have to pay (at least full price) for a new one if the Phantom flew away uncontrollably after a software update.

3. If I do have o buy a new one where can I get a Phantom only for a reasonable price ?

I emailed and explained everything to DJI but haven't heard back yet...

Thanks in advance for any help.

First off, I'm really sorry you haven't found your Phantom yet.

I'll take a shot at your question number 1.

The phantom 's GPS did know where it was until the power from the batteries died - then it forgot. But the GPS Satellites and the internet never had any idea where your Phantom was. GPS units work by receiving synchronized signals from several satellites. They don't transmit anything in order to get a fix. How would the GPS unit in the Phantom tell your computer where it was when it powered off?

I hope you get it back soon,

John.

jbrawn said:
First off, I'm really sorry you haven't found your Phantom yet.

I'll take a shot at your question number 1.

The phantom 's GPS did know where it was until the power from the batteries died - then it forgot. But the GPS Satellites and the internet never had any idea where your Phantom was. GPS units work by receiving synchronized signals from several satellites. They don't transmit anything in order to get a fix. How would the GPS unit in the Phantom tell your computer where it was when it powered off?

I hope you get it back soon,

John.

I was hoping like the iPhone does when you use find my iPhone. It shows you the last known area the iPhone was before it lost power. I figured that the Phantom could do this because it has to track it's coordinates in order to fly home.. wishful thinking I guess.

I'm hoping I get it back and will post again if so.If not Amazon customer service said they may actually refund me (we'll see about that). Either way I'll let you know how it goes.

Just wondering if you loaded the default parameters, did the advanced calibration and compass dance after updating to v4 firmware.

I hope you get yours back so fingers crossed on that, the one thing is if the phantom is misbehaving in gps mode the worst thing to do is turn off the radio and rely on gps for rth unfortunately, as its already causing your issues by failing in the first place.

The only way to get a gps location from the phantom is if using osd and fpv or using a 3rd party gps locator like the garmin unit some people are using.

Your phone is connected to a network whether that's the gsm network or the internet which gives it a way to report back its location the Phantom however doesn't. Even though both can receive gps signals and calculate their positions only your phone has he capability to report back. You can buy a gps locator with a phone sim card in that you can text and it will return the location of the device your trying track that won't help you this time. If there anyone else you know with a quadcopter? They could go up and take a look for you it might be easier to see from upon high. hope you find your Phantom.

Brian

phatsk807 said:
Hey guys.

Well... I've had my Phantom for a few weeks now and have absolutely loved it... zero problems at all. Last night I updated my firmware to 2.18 and NAZA version 4.0. Well, today I took the Phantom out and was showing a friend in a parking lot how easily it flies and it got up just fine but began to drift away from me and didn't seem to respond to my controls. I had it in GPS mode and switched into Attitude but it didn't help. I turned off the remote hoping it would fly home but it never did. It was seriously the most gut wrenching feeling :cry:

I searched for an hour or so but it really could've gone anywhere so I left and am now hoping someone finds it and calls me since my number is on it. I have a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with...

1. Why can't you track the Phantom's last known position from a computer since it has a GPS built in?

2. What is DJI's stance on flyways? I don't think I should have to pay (at least full price) for a new one if the Phantom flew away uncontrollably after a software update.

3. If I do have o buy a new one where can I get a Phantom only for a reasonable price ?

I emailed and explained everything to DJI but haven't heard back yet...

Thanks in advance for any help.

You are giving the phantom way more technology than it has in it. It can't call home. Heck, most of the time it can't return to home.

I can help with the DJI part of your question. In an overwhelming survey, DJI will not, under any circumstances reply to your issue. Some in Europe have had a response. Some dealers are doing great things for their customers, but DJI Innovations - or DJI USA will do nothing. You won't get a response.

There is a troll here on the forum who will tell you he got a replacement from DJI, but he is nothing but a troll. There is no proof he got anything. There is no proof he owned anything.

Sorry for your trouble. Hopefully, someone will call you. It does happen.

All the best

D

Thanks everyone for the replies, I truly appreciate it. Whether I do or don't hear from DJI I will post back this week to let everyone know what happened.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers