Fly off!

Reaction score
Did some test flying this morning. Calibrated AC, waited for warm up, pressed take off and it flew straight up about 15 feet and wouldn't respond, then flew flat out into a building. [emoji26]
Prop & motor busted, body twisted but not cracked, so gonna have to splash out on some new parts. Out of warranty. [emoji21]

Did some test flying this morning. Calibrated AC, waited for warm up, pressed take off and it flew straight up about 15 feet and wouldn't respond, then flew flat out into a building
As usual, the recorded flight data is required to work out what happened.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

I'm wondering what and why you calibrated and where you launched from as well.

Reactions: Lee Clatworthy
As usual, the recorded flight data is required to work out what happened.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

I'm wondering what and why you calibrated and where you launched from as well.
Calibrated compass.

Not in atti on the remote. Lost contact after from the point it says atti.
The flight record shows that your Phantom was in atti mode the whole time and was never in P-GPS mode.
A compass error would put your Phantom into atti mode but there's no indication of a compass error.
Your Phantom had lots of satellites the whole time but because it was in atti mode, it's going to drift on any breeze and it won't have any braking or position holding ability.
Have you checked the switch on the controller to see if it's still switched to atti?

Could a large metal truck or rebar in the concrete mess with the compass. I flew mine near the metal roof of my house and it started flying in circles. I had next to little control and brought in down in a hay field. Hay fields are way better than a wall.

If the Phantom was close enough to steel to cause problems, the Phantom would have displayed a compass error and switched to atti.
But as it was in atti mode right from the start it appears that it's a simple matter of flying in atti mode unexpectedly and not a compass issue.

If the Phantom was close enough to steel to cause problems, the Phantom would have displayed a compass error and switched to atti.
But as it was in atti mode right from the start it appears that it's a simple matter of flying in atti mode unexpectedly and not a compass issue.
Definitely not in atti mode on remote. I was in the fire station yard. I've flown there before but there is a tertiary bearer system for calling in RDS (part time) crew. I think maybe that's something to do with it.

Definitely not in atti mode on remote. I was in the fire station yard. I've flown there before but there is a tertiary bearer system for calling in RDS (part time) crew. I think maybe that's something to do with it.
There is also the training tower which is a four storey steel construction.

I don't know what a tertiary bearer system is but it doesn't sound like something that would have any effect unless you are within a few feet (maybe?)
The steel tower would have no effect unless you are within a feet feet of it.
The kind of things that might have an effect are a bad compass calibration or launching from a steel or reinforced concrete surface.
I'd still like to know where you calibrated the compass. What surface was it on?
What surface did you launch from?

I don't know what a tertiary bearer system is but it doesn't sound like something that would have any effect unless you are within a few feet (maybe?)
The steel tower would have no effect unless you are within a feet feet of it.
The kind of things that might have an effect are a bad compass calibration or launching from a steel or reinforced concrete surface.
I'd still like to know where you calibrated the compass. What surface was it on?
What surface did you launch from?
Compass calibrated in the middle of the yard. Concrete surface. Take off from the same. As I said the AC wasn't responding once it was airborne. It seemed to be just low level drifting at first, then gained height and took off. Tertiary bearer is a radio system used to activate pagers.

Compass calibrated in the middle of the yard. Concrete surface. Take off from the same. As I said the AC wasn't responding once it was airborne. It seemed to be just low level drifting at first, then gained height and took off. Tertiary bearer is a radio system used to activate pagers.
Never calibrate your compass or take off from a reinforced concrete surface - NEVER.
It's half steel and will screw things up for you.

This post has a technical explanation of how taking off from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces can mess things up:
Looking for Trouble ??
There have been lots of cases of people having big problems from doing this.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik