Fly beyond VLOS with remote ID?

Reaction score
While reading DJI's Q&A on remote ID I came across this:
  • Operate a drone with a Remote ID broadcast module giving the drone's identification, location, and take-off information. A broadcast module is a device that can be attached to a drone, or a feature (such as a software upgrade) integrated with the drone. Persons operating a drone with a Remote ID broadcast module must be able to see their drone at all times during flight.
Does this statement mean that a UAV with built-in, LTE connected remote ID can be flown beyond VLOS?

Does this statement mean that a remote ID compliant UAV can be flown beyond VLOS?
No. And you should always refer to the FAA's guidance (rather than DJI's) when it comes to things like this.

Reactions: Mavikhan
How can it possibly mean that? It clearly states the opposite.
The OP is asking if you're allowed to fly BVLOS if you're not using an externally attached remote ID module (what DJI is commenting on).

The OP is asking if you're allowed to fly BVLOS if you're not using an externally attached remote ID module (what DJI is commenting on).
But DJI doesn’t refer exclusively to externally attached RID. As quoted from the OP post:

“…or a feature (such as a software upgrade) integrated with the drone”

Reactions: bsartist
Yes, that is what I was interpreting from the DJI text. Kind of a positive interpretation of a negative statement if that makes sense. Why did DJI even include VLOS in the discussion if auto ID does not influence it? @msinger was right on when he initially responded to rely on FAA's guidance rather than DJI.

I'm hoping the local club will be able to snag an exemption so I can fly there without ID. That will be OK for fixed wing aircraft but I'll still need to install ID on the P4 and probably retire the Air :-(

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I was interpreting from the DJI text. Kind of a positive interpretation of a negative statement if that makes sense. Why did DJI even include VLOS in the discussion if auto ID does not influence it? @msinger was right on when he initially responded to rely on FAA's guidance rather than DJI.

I'm hoping the local club will be able to snag an exemption so I can fly there without ID. That will be OK for fixed wing aircraft but I'll still need to install ID on the P4 and probably retire the Air :-(
But according to your post, you quote DJI as saying:

So not only external remote ID devices.

But according to your post, you quote DJI as saying:

So not only external remote ID devices.
Yes, agreed, you are a more astute reader than I.

While reading DJI's Q&A on remote ID I came across this:
  • Operate a drone with a Remote ID broadcast module giving the drone's identification, location, and take-off information. A broadcast module is a device that can be attached to a drone, or a feature (such as a software upgrade) integrated with the drone. Persons operating a drone with a Remote ID broadcast module must be able to see their drone at all times during flight.
Does this statement mean that a UAV with built-in, LTE connected remote ID can be flown beyond VLOS?
NO.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20