Flooding Video with my P3A

Reaction score
We've had heavy, heavy rains over the last several weeks here in Texas. Friday was especially bad with torrential rains falling for over 2 hours. I took my P3 down to a local park whose lake is prone to flooding. Ended up capturing a couple kids pushing their car through the water (Upstream!), and another vehicle who got stuck. This is my first attempt at any real video editing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. It's a shame you can't sell that to the local news

So interesting question... can you give it to the local news and can they use it? Local news channels often use cell phone video that was sent in by viewers (without paying). Would the current FAA restrictions for commercial drone use prohibit those same channels from using Phantom video that was recorded by a hobbyist and submitted without charge?

Very interesting video!

That car is junk-- poor guys-- it will never run right again even if they could get it started
Great video!

So interesting question... can you give it to the local news and can they use it? Local news channels often use cell phone video that was sent in by viewers (without paying). Would the current FAA restrictions for commercial drone use prohibit those same channels from using Phantom video that was recorded by a hobbyist and submitted without charge?

Very interesting video!
Well, it's non-commercial if you don't get money or a service in return, so that would be ok I'd assume. Some of our resident wanna-be jurists may be able to chime in though...

That car is junk-- poor guys-- it will never run right again even if they could get it started
Great video!

The rule is, you cant go out shooting with the intent of selling to the news. You however can be using your drone recreationally and news unfolds and that can be sold to the news. They have to establish whether your intent was recreational or commercial. Not a hard case, if you have never sold anything to the news then it would be hard to say its commercial. If you have like 10 sells then expect a call.

I would go find my source but I am not feeling up to it. Been on the FAA site for to many days now doing research.

I'm sure the local news team would be interested in this, maybe even try some of the national/international outlets too (the BBC here in the UK have the floods as a top story). I wouldn't bother trying to sell it, to save yourself issues of FAA guidelines and tax declaration on second income etc. but if they do use it, make sure they attribute it to you prominently on the screen when they use it. That way it's clear that you own the IP on the piece and anyone else who wants to use it should come through you.

The thing I take way from watching this is a question. Why do people put their safety second to their stuff? One miss-step or slip and not only is your safety at risk but now someone else has to put their lives at risk to rescue ya.
Great video musicman476!
I would be willing to bet that the news copter pilots wouldn't want that video to make its way to the network though. All the attacks they have been making on our hobby speak much louder than words! JMHO.....;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic