Flir Vue Pro

Reaction score
Hi All,
After some advice from some who stalks a lot and posts very infrequently.

I have mentioned a few times before that I am an archaeologist. I use my P2 with one of MortarArts 3D printed mounts to shoot archaeological remains. You can check out my work at Gallery

One thing people do in archaeology is to use Thermal cameras. You shoot an area from the area and the hopes is any subsurface archaeology like walls and the like, will radiate heat and thus appear on thermal imagery.
I am looking at the new Flir Vue Pro, to mount onto the P2. We will definitely go the higher resolution model, and probably the slow video as I just want stills compared to video, so does frame rate matter?

But my real question is the lens type. The options are 9, 13 and 19mm. Obviously, the 9mm will give a larger FoV than the 19mm. But I am struggling to think whether it would be worthwhile getting the 9mm and flying lower, or the 19mm and flying higher? Presumably its just ratios ie 9mm at say 20m is the same as 19mm at c.42m.
So i am throwing it open to you guys? Anyone used one? Anyone able to suggest whether we should go the 9 or 19?
Any advice would be great.

Hi All,
After some advice from some who stalks a lot and posts very infrequently.

I have mentioned a few times before that I am an archaeologist. I use my P2 with one of MortarArts 3D printed mounts to shoot archaeological remains. You can check out my work at Gallery

One thing people do in archaeology is to use Thermal cameras. You shoot an area from the area and the hopes is any subsurface archaeology like walls and the like, will radiate heat and thus appear on thermal imagery.
I am looking at the new Flir Vue Pro, to mount onto the P2. We will definitely go the higher resolution model, and probably the slow video as I just want stills compared to video, so does frame rate matter?

But my real question is the lens type. The options are 9, 13 and 19mm. Obviously, the 9mm will give a larger FoV than the 19mm. But I am struggling to think whether it would be worthwhile getting the 9mm and flying lower, or the 19mm and flying higher? Presumably its just ratios ie 9mm at say 20m is the same as 19mm at c.42m.
So i am throwing it open to you guys? Anyone used one? Anyone able to suggest whether we should go the 9 or 19?
Any advice would be great.

It also depends on the degree of of the 9mm say at 82° compared to the 19mm say at 60° and which would give you more coverage at a given height.

Here is the list of lens types vs fov
9 mm; 69° × 56°
13 mm; 45° × 37°
19 mm; 32° × 26°

Here is the list of lens types vs fov
9 mm; 69° × 56°
13 mm; 45° × 37°
19 mm; 32° × 26°

The 9mm would give you the best coverage lets at 50m. While the other two you would have go double in altitude to cover the area plus you'd lose detail at a 100m or more but I think you get an idea of where i'm coming from..

Now will the P2 be able to carry the weight. It all depends how much the camera weighs and if you are going to use an aftermarket gimbal, a mixed mount.and FPV gear as well.

Last edited:
FLIR Vue Pro is 4 oz, but what gimbal/Tx were you thinking of?
Also, will you want flight data sent also, or just IR video?
Truth be told, you'll be best of with a long FL, and a short one for close in detail, I would think. Use the 9 mm for general surveying, but change to the 19 mm when looking at detail.
Very interested! Thinking of getting one for solar panel inspection. Please post pics when you get them!
John

FLIR Vue Pro is 4 oz, but what gimbal/Tx were you thinking of?
Also, will you want flight data sent also, or just IR video?
Truth be told, you'll be best of with a long FL, and a short one for close in detail, I would think. Use the 9 mm for general surveying, but change to the 19 mm when looking at detail.
Very interested! Thinking of getting one for solar panel inspection. Please post pics when you get them!
John

I am using a 3d printed static mount from MortarArt. I don't need anything fancy for it because I only want photographs directly downwards.

We don't have the money to buy two of them as I don't think the lens' are interchangeable. Thats why I need to decide between the 9 or 19, or I just buy the 13mm and split the difference.

I am using a 3d printed static mount from MortarArt. I don't need anything fancy for it because I only want photographs directly downwards.

We don't have the money to buy two of them as I don't think the lens' are interchangeable. Thats why I need to decide between the 9 or 19, or I just buy the 13mm and split the difference.

Look I own 2 hero 3+ GoPro cameras 1 has stock lens at 127° and at 47m I can the full length of a full size soccer field. The second camera has a 82° lens and at the same height just over third of the field. My Hero 4 has 60° lens in it and from the same height less then a third of the field.

My point is depending on how much ground you want to cover in say 15 minutes of flight time depends on several things height, field of view, detail and time. So looking at all three lens the 9mm would you the best coverage and detail at the lowest altitude the the latter two.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20