Flight over areas that had wild fires

Reaction score
I am in Cali for work / cousin's birthday. I want to record post wild fire scenery with my P3A, but now that I'm here I see it just looked worse on the news back East. If I drive a cuple of hours to the burned out areas, will I be able to fly over the parts where there are no active fires and no activity?

Last edited:
Reactions: RMMSAJ
I am in Cali for work / cousin's birthday. I want to record post wild fire scenery with my P3A, but now that I'm here I see it just looked worse on the news back East. If I drive a cuple of hours to the burned out areas, will I be able to fly over the parts where there are no active fires and no activity?

Check for TFRs. Those are the final authority on flight restrictions.

Reactions: JoBe
Some areas may still be NFZ and don't know if DJI will allow flights unless unlocked. Much of the state is covered in red zones around these fires for at least a month before being pulled off the NFZ/TFR list. Refer to Airmap as most around Santa Rosa, CA show Nov. 18 as when the no-fly lockdown will be cleared.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
Don't do it. Wait until the entire event is over with. We never know exactly what flight path responders will take trying to get the fires under control. They don't need to worry about a UAV in the area taking pictures.

Reactions: JoBe and GMack
I would think not due to the amount of helicopters and planes in the area.
Thanks but I did specify areas with no activity. I think it should be cool, but I dont want to drive so far for nothing.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Check for TFRs. Those are the final authority on flight restrictions.
Everyone says to check a different site for the "official" information. It makes me nervous to check a site that might say ok, get there to find another site said no or locals say no.

What is the one true site to check?

Some areas may still be NFZ and don't know if DJI will allow flights unless unlocked. Much of the state is covered in red zones around these fires for at least a month before being pulled off the NFZ/TFR list. Refer to Airmap as most around Santa Rosa, CA show Nov. 18 as when the no-fly lockdown will be cleared.
Hmmm. Interesting comment. I never thought that they may be slow to remove restrictions even if in reality it may be perfectly safe.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Hmmm. Interesting comment. I never thought that they may be slow to remove restrictions even if in reality it may be perfectly safe.
That's because even after the "Wild Fire" that you see and hear about there are often areas of Hot Spots that have to get mopped up well after the main fire rolls through. It's long from over when you see the smoke stop rolling through.

The ONLY way to know for sure (and to create a log showing you've checked) is to call 1-800-WX-BRIEF

You can check this website but even the website tells you to call the above #.
FAA TFR Listing

When in doubt do not fly!!

That's because even after the "Wild Fire" that you see and hear about there are often areas of Hot Spots that have to get mopped up well after the main fire rolls through. It's long from over when you see the smoke stop rolling through.

The ONLY way to know for sure (and to create a log showing you've checked) is to call 1-800-WX-BRIEF

FAA TFR Listing

Legit info. Thnx.

Reactions: BigAl07
Everyone says to check a different site for the "official" information. It makes me nervous to check a site that might say ok, get there to find another site said no or locals say no.

What is the one true site to check?

@BigAl07's advice on that is correct.

According to the info on Skyvector.com, these are the current fire related TFR areas -- as of 3:20 EDT, 10/19/17. Always check the FAA website for a complete updated list of TFRs immediately prior to flying. This is just a quick snapshot for the OP regarding the general situation in the area.

Attachments

• ScreenShot20.png
    ScreenShot20.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 357

FAA TFR Listing

ThnkS i decided to forget the whol idea

ThnkS i decided to forget the whol idea

I can't speak for everyone but I'm sure this speaks for many, THANK YOU! Very smart decision.

Reactions: Numone and Oso
Well hard to believe they have a NOTAM TFR in effect from Santa Barbara, (where I Live) al the way south dto Fillmore for 2 MONTHS??!! DEC 12-FEB 12 seems a bit ridiculous as I can't fly at all so my business is shutdown for 2 months? What's up with that? No Fires, No Helicopters or Tankers flying and no Hydro Mulch flights going on either. Is there a contact at FAA to get the reasoning behind this 2 month TFR?

Well hard to believe they have a NOTAM TFR in effect from Santa Barbara, (where I Live) al the way south dto Fillmore for 2 MONTHS??!! DEC 12-FEB 12 seems a bit ridiculous as I can't fly at all so my business is shutdown for 2 months? What's up with that? No Fires, No Helicopters or Tankers flying and no Hydro Mulch flights going on either. Is there a contact at FAA to get the reasoning behind this 2 month TFR?

If you're a Part 107 operation contact your local FSDO to ask about it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl