Flight Limit

thestone11 said:
Wondering what did you set for your flight limit? Vertical and horizontal?

400' High - Suggested FAA Limit
1200' Out - Already pushing my unaided LOS limit

Then I just switch to ATTI if I want to go farther out/up.

assuming you leave your Assistant software in meters, 120m equates to about 400', legal limit in the US.
I went ahead and cranked my distance limit to 2000m even though that technically isn't legal because it's beyond unaided LOS but I only go those kind of distances way out in the country with noone around. mostly.

Not sure about range, but have my height set to 395 feet. Manned aircraft should be expected to be flying at 500' and above (and below that too in exceptional cases !) so I don't see why you would want to go above 400' anyway in normal hobby use.

gword256 said:
thestone11 said:

How does this work? I Have I've always thought it would trigger failsafe if you hit the limit regardless if in atti or gps?

Turbazz said:
gword256 said:
thestone11 said:

How does this work? I Have I've always thought it would trigger failsafe if you hit the limit regardless if in atti or gps?

The Max Radius function is only available if you are in GPS mode with >6 satellites locked.

Turbazz said:
gword256 said:
thestone11 said:

In ATTI it will go outside your "fence" and if you toggle back to GPS it with auto return to within the "fence".

I never actually tried going above 400' in ATTI. I just assumed it will.

And I disagree that 400' up and LOS is a FAA legal requirement, just a suggestion. But I have no reason to go beyond that anyway. I don't know what the Canadian regulations say.

gword256 said:
I never actually tried going above 400' in ATTI. I just assumed it will.
Max height applies to GPS and ATTI modes. Not manual though.

Turbazz said:

quick FYI, it doesn't trigger failsafe it just won't go any farther

Set my altitude 305' and radius 1650 feet. Canada has an altitude restriction of 300 feet. While it is true there no restrictions for altitude or distance here in the US at the present time. FAA's proposed rules for micro UAS (under 2kg) are altitude 400', radius 1500', LOS and no FVP now these are just a few of those proposed rules.

If you have comments on those rules here's a link but there isn't much time left.
http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=FAA-2015-0150

Just remember, it's 400ft above the launch point. I've flown from a large steep sided hill before now and at 400 feet above the hill equates to about a thousand feet above the flat land area that I was flying over.
It's all relative!

TeamYankee said:
Just remember, it's 400ft above the launch point. I've flown from a large steep sided hill before now and at 400 feet above the hill equates to about a thousand feet above the flat land area that I was flying over.
It's all relative!

Please correct me, I have not checked and I am possibly wrong; but I was under the impression that both the CAA and the FAA used the term less than 400 feet "above the surface". I dont recall any mention of the "launch point".

Please feel free to put me right on this.

He does make a good point. Did either the CAA or FAA mention that 400' altitude was from sea level. So if your on a hill 398' above sea level does that mean you can only claim to a altitude of 2 feet. :eek: :? :roll: :lol:

jason said:
He does make a good point. Did either the CAA or FAA mention that 400' altitude was from sea level. So if your on a hill 398' above sea level does that mean you can only claim to a altitude of 2 feet. :eek: :? :roll: :lol:

Remember 400' is a guideline and not a hard law. Launching from a hill top? Use a bit a judgement. Your likely okay with 400' from launch site because they generally place airports on flat ground.

See http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?t=4052

gword256 said:
jason said:

Remember 400' is a guideline and not a hard law. Launching from a hill top? Use a bit a judgement. Your likely okay with 400' from launch site because they generally place airports on flat ground.

The question was not about law or guideline, it was about what the measurement is relative to.

jason said:
Set my altitude 305' and radius 1650 feet. Canada has an altitude restriction of 300 feet. While it is true there no restrictions for altitude or distance here in the US at the present time. FAA's proposed rules for micro UAS (under 2kg) are altitude 400', radius 1500', LOS and no FVP now these are just a few of those proposed rules.

If you have comments on those rules here's a link but there isn't much time left.
http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=FAA-2015-0150
The FAA is not proposing the Micro UAS in this NPRM, they are simply asking for comments for a later rulemaking. If they get enough responses to the micro UAV idea, then they may be able to get the provisions into the first release of Part 107 rules in a few years.

If you ever plan to fly for compensation, then you must read and comment on the NPRM before April 24.

Hughie said:
gword256 said:
jason said:

The question was not about law or guideline, it was about what the measurement is relative to.
Sorry the 400 is from AGL. Or above ground level relative to the drone position.

In the UK the rules are that the UAS must be kept within the visual line of sight (normally taken to be within 500 m horizontally and 400 ft vertically) of its remote pilot.

TeamYankee said:
In the UK the rules are that the UAS must be kept within the visual line of sight (normally taken to be within 500 m horizontally and 400 ft vertically) of its remote pilot.

This is true, although the actual text of Article 166 mentions "above the surface ".

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl