Gimble/Camera Problem

Reaction score
Gimble/camera orients right to left ok but the camera itself on the vertical axis just flops down freely as if having no powers. The is due to hard landing that actually cracked one of the landing skids. I took apart the gimble components as best I could and re-seated the ribbon cables but still the camera lies lame. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Reactions: RodPad
Welcome to the forum!

I'm guessing may be the cable?

Its harder then crap to work on the stuff, to small.

"re-seated the ribbon cables"

Re look at the cables, and I have done a continuity check on them.

Mostly what where missing.
What Phantom is this.

Rod ..

Hi Rod! Thx for your quick reply! I have the Phantom 3 Pro.

What precipitated the problem was that I took the drone out for a run. It had been on the shelf for about two years. I had difficulty getting the batts out of hibernation. When I finally did (at least I think I did) I noticed that the battery I was using was already in the red just after takeoff. The following flights were a bit better but the last one I had it hovering over the grass at about two feet high with the battery in the red and lots of bells and whistles going off. The drone drifted over to the concrete driveway but before I had time to correct the bottom fell out. The motors quit at that altitude. As I mentioned in my opening post one of the landing skids got cracked. What I didn't mention was that the camera itself must have struck the ground because it was jammed stuck. I should have paid closer attention to what I was doing but I just twisted it and it came free. Unfortunately I didn't give myself the opportunity to see what it was actually stuck on. There's no tell-tale sign of a scratch or anything.

I just took a video to show you the gimble startup process but I guess I can't send video formats here.

Wondering if its worth buying a new gimble system.

Videos need uploaded to a cloud drive or to a service like YouTube.
Then share the link here.

That would be my best opinion at the moment.

@LOVE NZ
Help us out, you are the P3 Dude..

Rod ..

Reactions: brigerdrones
May be the ribbon cable and a bad gimbal roll motor due to the hard impact. Was the camera/gimbal startup dance 'normal?'

**as a side note...any bench testing should be done with the props OFF the motors, especially since his batteries have questionable power**

May be the ribbon cable and a bad gimbal roll motor due to the hard impact. Was the camera/gimbal startup dance 'normal?'

**as a side note...any bench testing should be done with the props OFF the motors, especially since his batteries have questionable power**
The startup dance seems to be fine but the camera just stays limp. I'll check the ribbon cale as you suggested. Thank you!

The camera moves during the startup 'dance', then returns to center. If it is not moving, there's a problem.

Ribbon cables are notorious for being very fragile, and can break easily. If you do replace it, be sure it is a genuine DJI product. There are many impostors out there (eBay, etc) that claim they work on DJI, but most do not.

The camera moves during the startup 'dance', then returns to center. If it is not moving, there's a problem.

Ribbon cables are notorious for being very fragile, and can break easily. If you do replace it, be sure it is a genuine DJI product. There are many impostors out there (eBay, etc) that claim they work on DJI, but most do not.
I'll check the ribbon cables. Thank you!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl