Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

onfourblades said:
noticeable clean up by 2nd pass!
I also noticed the spin/ yaw movement more precise !
Spins on a dime!
Someone else go test this firmware to confirm my findings.
I hope it fixes all Locations!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OS7Bbs ... e=youtu.be

I am practically speechless. This is great news. I am Chicago and back in LA late tonight. I will test first thing tomorrow AM. Right now, only the small group of us can access the beta. I want to see the results from NZ. cruiser607, did you get the beta yet?

BTW, did you test course lock?

ianwood said:
onfourblades said:
Spins on a dime!

I am practically speechless. This is great news. I am Chicago and back in LA late tonight. I will test first thing tomorrow AM. Right now, only the small group of us can access the beta. I want to see the results from NZ. cruiser607, did you get the beta yet?

I did try course lock, it was seemly working.
Frankly I was so surprised that the phantom was clean of j-hooking and Zero TBE I will have to Test the IOC course lock another time.
I did notice decent rate were reduced to 2.0 M/s as i was previously flying around 2.0 firmware.

I am very curious how it performs in NZ and other HIGH Mag. Decl. areas.

Happy STRAIGHT Flying!

OMG! Can't believe it. Happy day. :lol:
My fpv system I bought from Banggood over a month ago just arrived and I'm heading to the a huge Park tomorrow. Please, can I have the beta version too? :)
Mag Dec here is - 21

Great news......
Now the only question.... can they plug it into say a 1.09 version or are we all going to have to go to 3. something now ???
Has anyone been able to archive 1.08 anywhere ? Or is it still up on the DJI server... for now ?
Thoughts ......

onfourblades said:
ianwood said:
onfourblades said:
Spins on a dime!

I did try course lock, it was seemly working.
Frankly I was so surprised that the phantom was clean of j-hooking and Zero TBE I will have to Test the IOC course lock another time.
I did notice decent rate were reduced to 2.0 M/s as i was previously flying around 2.0 firmware.

I am very curious how it performs in NZ and other HIGH Mag. Decl. areas.

Happy STRAIGHT Flying!

Can you guys share the link with us, please?

I'm so happy, I am about to cry!! Haha. Now we just have to wait until an official release.

I am not 100% convinced quite yet but this looks promising. Great job everyone - especially Ianwood. Next time I am down in LA I'll have my straight flying Phantom 2 drone-drop you a beer.

It would be nice to hear after all of this speculation exactly what the issue was....?

landonkk said:
I'm so happy, I am about to cry!! Haha. Now we just have to wait until an official release.

I am not 100% convinced quite yet but this looks promising. Great job everyone - especially Ianwood. Next time I am down in LA I'll have my straight flying Phantom 2 drone-drop you a beer.

It would be nice to hear after all of this speculation exactly what the issue was....?

Yes I am curious what the Fix was.

I posted this in the other thread as well:

We cannot share the beta firmware outside the test group. This is a closed beta. We would be causing problems for DJI if we circulated it. I am sure once they confirm it works that it will be released quickly. Hang tight.

Re: BETA TESTERS

onfourblades said:
BETA TESTERS- go test in your location
I want to see if it works in your locations... post video please

Do we know the number of beta testers? 10 or 12? Realistically we are probably looking at another week before official release. :cry:

Re: BETA TESTERS

landonkk said:
onfourblades said:
BETA TESTERS- go test in your location
I want to see if it works in your locations... post video please

Do we know the number of beta testers? 10 or 12? Realistically we are probably looking at another week before official release. :cry:

terry.one said:
Thanks again for everybody. The chosen ones list as below:
ianwood from LA
onfourblades from NY
cruiser607 from Newzea Land
riblit from Australia
Fximaging from Yucaipa, Ca

I've sent PMs to them for contact information.

5 beta testers

ianwood said:
I posted this in the other thread as well:

We cannot share the beta firmware outside the test group. This is a closed beta. We would be causing problems for DJI if we circulated it. I am sure once they confirm it works that it will be released quickly. Hang tight.
I hear ya but you worded that way to politely.. hahah

Nicely done! First results seem really promising. After all this is settled, I really hope DJI gives a bit of information on exactly what was causing it and what they did to fix it.

ElGuano said:
Nicely done! First results seem really promising. After all this is settled, I really hope DJI gives a bit of information on exactly what was causing it and what they did to fix it.
Do you really think DJI would openly say they fixed a problem of this magnitude. I lost my P2V+ a couple of days ago and DJI said the compass went out of wack because I was too close to a bridge. ???? Now, this is a bridge that I have flown around many times before with my P2V with no problems.
On with the dance!

AllanVB said:
ElGuano said:
Do you really think DJI would openly say they fixed a problem of this magnitude. I lost my P2V+ a couple of days ago and DJI said the compass went out of wack because I was too close to a bridge. ???? Now, this is a bridge that I have flown around many times before with my P2V with no problems.
On with the dance!

Who knows? I don't know about the "magnitude" of this problem versus other bug fixes and feature requests, but it IS pretty high profile (thanks in large part to the persistence of this very group!) and they've already publicly addressed it as an issue in the call for beta testers and new firmware here...so it wouldn't exactly be performing hara kiri to include in the patch notes something like:

-Implemented geo lookup table for compass
-Enhanced learning speed for compass/GPS deviations
-Save learned compass values to non-volatile memory

None of the above would strike me as horribly embarrassing, but would definitely satisfy the curiosity of some of us who are wondering what the actual issue and fix were.

ElGuano said:
AllanVB said:
ElGuano said:
On with the dance!

Who knows? I don't know about the "magnitude" of this problem versus other bug fixes and feature requests, but it IS pretty high profile (thanks in large part to the persistence of this very group!) and they've already publicly addressed it as an issue in the call for beta testers and new firmware here...so it wouldn't exactly be performing hara kiri to include in the patch notes something like:

-Implemented geo lookup table for compass
-Enhanced learning speed for compass/GPS deviations
-Save learned compass values to non-volatile memory

None of the above would strike me as horribly embarrassing, but would definitely satisfy the curiosity of some of us who are wondering what the actual issue and fix were.
good point!

AllanVB said:
ElGuano said:
On with the dance!

DJI has essentially admitted there was an issue by testing and offering a fix. Good luck trying to prove that your crash was specifically related to this problem though. DJI is for the most part free of any 'liability' in any crash because there is no real way to prove that it wasn't pilot error or some other outside influence (metal, power lines, etc.). Unfortunately there are too many people out there that would take advantage of them if they replaced every Phantom that crashed and took the word of the pilot that it was not their fault.

AllanVB said:
ElGuano said:
On with the dance!
Warranty states not following instructions in the manual voids the warranty. The manual says flying near buildings can affect the compass because of the steel in the building. so they win page 22 item 6.1 http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... 1.1_en.pdf

Not to be a wet blanket but...

When the poster above says it clears up in 2nd or 3rd pass, isn't that still undesirable?

Shouldn't the declination be looked up in a table (and kept fresh each release) based on GPS coordinates and applied immediately?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor