First Post and A successful first flight day

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have been reading the manual and posts in the forum for a couple of weeks learning as much as I could. Today, I was finally able to got out and fly my P3S for the first time. I had a blast. Everything went as expected, well almost.

I had updated to the latest firmware shortly after it came out. Well today when I changed batteries I got the update message again. So, I let it update with battery #2. It took about 5 minutes. Once it completed, I few again with no issues.

My main goal today was to start getting comfortable in the air with flying and how it looks on video, similar practice to what is suggested in the forums and videos. Another learning point was I thought I had rotated slowly, but not so according to the video. Much practice needed.

I was flying at an out of the way ball field (with permission) and no one was around. One thing I did do was video the area and my flights with a GoPro (More Practice needed here).

This evening I uploaded the flight logs to the Healthy Drones website and it was interesting to see all of the available data.

I have a lot to learn and I am taking it slow as suggested. I would like to thank those of you that post meaningful suggestions/information for all to benefit from.

Thanks again,
Greg

Reactions: Jay H
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum Greg. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Sounds like you have a good handle on learning by reading the manual and trying to understand they way your Phantom works. Just keep it slow until you get the hang of it. Also be sure to be aware of your surroundings, people, overhead wires, tree tops, poles & towers, etc. Your Phantom will be mysteriously be drawn to them. :D
If you haven't already, take a look at the AMA website. There are many benefits to becoming a member. LINK --> Academy of Model Aeronautics
Be safe & enjoy your new Phantom!

Welcome.

Getting a very gentle stick movement to translate to smooth video does take practice and i am still learning. Get an X5C1 or other quad with some spare batteries to extend your flight time and gain greater dexterity.

Also, if you havnet ever shot with movement on a video camera, or dslr do so, to get an idea of how much movement you can have in a shot before it become jarring to the eye. Pay attention to aerial, panning, tracking shots when your watching movies to get an idea of what shots are pleasing to you.

I mostly got my phantom as a quad to have fun flying, but the video is so good, its making me want to use it to grab some shots to tell a story. Its an amazing flying camera, and a nice tool to have to get some shots that 5 years ago were impossible without extreme expense.

Reactions: GregWV
@dirkclod Thanks, I look forward to them also. :) BTW - I have enjoyed reading about your mods.
I'm from Chapel-Hill and have been where your at :)
Wayback in da day ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20