First negative neighbour experience....

Reaction score
Decided to test out the latest FW update on my P3P tonight at around 9pm (UK), sent her up from my back yard as I have done many times before and cruised round the estate at altitude keeping constant LOS.

About ten minutes in and I spot a guy in the road about 70 yards away from me looking up at the phantom (someone i didnt recognize which was strange as i have lived here all my life). So I stopped moving so he could take a look, he spots me and shouts over asking if i am controlling it, I reply "yes" expecting a bunch of questions and comments on how cool it is.

Next thing he comes charging down towards me going batshit crazy about how ive been invading his privacy and watching him at his house. I totally expected him to get physical from his anger and body language but all I could do is hold my remote away from him so he couldnt swipe it from my hands, I felt pretty helpless with having such an expesive piece of kit in my hands/air. He continues screaming at me about it having a camera and invading his privacy while i hold the remote away from him and my girlfriend assures him i wasnt spying on him. He then stormed off screaming he was calling the police, I can only imagine he was drunk it was almost asif he was frothing from the mouth during his rant.

Its gone midnight now and still no police have shown up. Turns out he moved onto the estate last year which is why I didnt recognize him, I was totally taken by surprise as I really did not expect around here as its a very pleasant area.

I will honour his distress and no longer fly it around my home as I really dont want to upset anyone, but I would have preferred it if he put his point across is a less agressive manor. I really cannot understand why he was so angered, maybe he is hiding something.... - Adam

I will honour his distress and no longer fly it around my home as I really dont want to upset anyone, but I would have preferred it if he put his point across is a less agressive manor. I really cannot understand why he was so angered, maybe he is hiding something.... - Adam

You are a better man than me. I might refrain from flying over his property, but that would be about the limit -- especially because of his bully attitude.

Decided to test out the latest FW update on my P3P tonight at around 9pm (UK), sent her up from my back yard as I have done many times before and cruised round the estate at altitude keeping constant LOS.

About ten minutes in and I spot a guy in the road about 70 yards away from me looking up at the phantom (someone i didnt recognize which was strange as i have lived here all my life). So I stopped moving so he could take a look, he spots me and shouts over asking if i am controlling it, I reply "yes" expecting a bunch of questions and comments on how cool it is.

Next thing he comes charging down towards me going batshit crazy about how ive been invading his privacy and watching him at his house. I totally expected him to get physical from his anger and body language but all I could do is hold my remote away from him so he couldnt swipe it from my hands, I felt pretty helpless with having such an expesive piece of kit in my hands/air. He continues screaming at me about it having a camera and invading his privacy while i hold the remote away from him and my girlfriend assures him i wasnt spying on him. He then stormed off screaming he was calling the police, I can only imagine he was drunk it was almost asif he was frothing from the mouth during his rant.

Its gone midnight now and still no police have shown up. Turns out he moved onto the estate last year which is why I didnt recognize him, I was totally taken by surprise as I really did not expect around here as its a very pleasant area.

Good move on your part, can I ask what was your age difference to him? I think if you see him sober you mite just say hello and invite him for a demo.
Other than that you did great!
I find flying around home gets boring after a while so I use the smaller X5C less intimidating. But for testing the P3 I would not fear him to much, but you know better!

I too had one of these. Neighbor behind me acting all crazy.

I have since switched to front yard takeoffs/landings only and haven't seen him since. Not looking to any extra attention on the home front. Sounds like you are doing the right thing.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

The first day I flew an older guy.. probably in his 60s, was pulling out of his driveway to drive away from me. Maybe 5 houses down. at about 50 yards he stopped and backed into his driveway and walked into the street. I expected a confrontation similar to your description, but after maybe 10 minutes he got back in his car and left. All I was doing was buzzing up and down the street. I dont think I ever got as far as his house even.

Im a photographer.. I piss people off all the time. Its part of the business. Never fun, but thats how it rolls!

Reactions: S5S5G6

Where in the UK are you from, if you don't mind me asking?.

Good move on your part, can I ask what was your age difference to him?

I would say im about 10 years younger, he was probably in his 40s

Where in the UK are you from, if you don't mind me asking?.

North Yorkshire, usually people are awesome about my drone up here so its a bit of a shame.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I will keep you all updated of any further encounters with him.

For what its worth the new firmware seems great, really smooth (could be a placebo effect) , im an android user so still on the DJI Pilot and didn't have any issues, that said I didnt really have any issues with the 1.2.6 FW either and I never turned off VPS. - Adam

What android device are you using?

I have a HTC M9 but cannot get smooth video feed so I use a Galaxy Tab S with google play services reset to its default version, that allows for a buttery smooth experience. With google play services updated its lags like mad over time and after about ten minutes of flight locks up the tablet completely.

I hope the issue is resolved with the new DJI Go app when us android users get the update - Adam

I have a HTC M9 but cannot get smooth video feed so I use a Galaxy Tab S with google play services reset to its default version, that allows for a buttery smooth experience. With google play services updated its lags like mad over time and after about ten minutes of flight locks up the tablet completely.

I hope the issue is resolved with the new DJI Go app when us android users get the update - Adam

Thanks, DJI Go needs to hurry up on Android

I feel for you bro - I think the general public's paranoia of drones is to be blamed by the media.

I'm originally from the uk - so when you say estate/ pleasant area. Isn't that an oxymoron ;)

Last edited:
Just flight yesterday on Porto City - Portugal...lot of tourists....and people comments, but no problems..
Except a school bus full of teenagers asking if i was playing "Call of Duty"...and stuff like that...like how cool....

So far, no problems....but i confess its very distract seen so many people around...

More ONtopic.....ignore the guy....its just a looser frustrated guy.....thats my opinion...

I feel for you bro - I think the general public's paranoia of drones is to be blamed by the media.

I'm originally from the uk - so when you say estate/ pleasant area. Isn't that an oxymoron ;)

Haha good point, I understand the word "estate" can paint a pretty bad picture but it really isn't in this case, outskirts of a seaside town with half of the estate being RAF owned, never see any riffraff about so its ideal really :) - Adam

I'm pretty lucky because I fly over my neighborhood at least a couple times a week and no one ever says anything to me. But then again, I don't sit and hover in one spot either which I think would begin to draw attention to myself.

Good on you. I've had a couple of these little interactions though they weren't frothing at the mouth. Still unnerving as I'm a pilot that tries my best to consider my surroundings, others privacy etc. etc.

I'm finding that most folks knee-jerk reaction to a "drone" has little basis in reality. More so from a stand point of mystery and fear. We all know what a "drone" is because the news has taught us this. It spy's on people and it kills in some cases. That's a Military UAV Drone not a consumer quad-copter made for filming the beauty of the outdoors...but that really doesn't matter. They're are those irresponsible "drone pilots" out there but their activities will be dealt with swiftly as laws and regulations begin to establish. I applaud this. Regardless ..."drones" aren't going anywhere and are here to stay. While I'm always willing to listen to others I would kindly hope that others would begin to educate themselves before screaming "the sky is falling". This education process begins with me. When approached I invite people to take a look at the screen. Once the see that people look like ants, and that I can't zoom in and read the logo on their shirt, they tend to lighten up.

I think your comment "I will honour his distress..." illustrates your integrity and your patience especially when you appear to have done nothing malicious. Thank you for reacting as you did, Adamation. You did us all a great service and I for one really appreciate it.

Good on you. I've had a couple of these little interactions though they weren't frothing at the mouth. Still unnerving as I'm a pilot that tries my best to consider my surroundings, others privacy etc. etc.

I'm finding that most folks knee-jerk reaction to a "drone" has little basis in reality. More so from a stand point of mystery and fear. We all know what a "drone" is because the news has taught us this. It spy's on people and it kills in some cases. That's a Military UAV Drone not a consumer quad-copter made for filming the beauty of the outdoors...but that really doesn't matter. They're are those irresponsible "drone pilots" out there but their activities will be dealt with swiftly as laws and regulations begin to establish. I applaud this. Regardless ..."drones" aren't going anywhere and are here to stay. While I'm always willing to listen to others I would kindly hope that others would begin to educate themselves before screaming "the sky is falling". This education process begins with me. When approached I invite people to take a look at the screen. Once the see that people look like ants, and that I can't zoom in and read the logo on their shirt, they tend to lighten up.

I think your comment "I will honour his distress..." illustrates your integrity and your patience especially when you appear to have done nothing malicious. Thank you for reacting as you did, Adamation. You did us all a great service and I for one really appreciate it.

Thanks for the kind words fhagan02, I also use your approach of showing people the screen, everyone finds it pretty amazing how clear the image is - Adam

Reactions: fhagan02
Actually the Media would not have anything negative to say if it wasn't for the pilots insisting of flying where it is not smart, or illegal to do so, airports and fires here in Calif, not mention pileup on the freeway (motorway).

Reactions: GoodnNuff

I had my first negative stranger experience the other day.
I was attempting to get some slow shutter speed long exposure shots in low light, and was in a field, A women pulls into the car park, and asks me if the "drone" had a camera on it. Which I of course replied yes.
She then accused me of flying over hee house and spying on her, even after I showed her the overlay of my flight path on the map she was still ranting at me about it, telling me I did fly over her house, threatening to call the police etc.
After trying to reason with her, I got sick, I told her to call the police and that I would gladly wait with her. To which she made some excuse about having to go pick her daughter up.
She then left, telling me I was some combination of various four letter words, and if I came back her husband would see to me! I found this threat mildly amusing being 6ft 3 inches, 18 stone and an ex professional boxer :)

Each night now, I have been back to the same spot, removed the camera from my !1 (so that I cannot be accused of invading privacy) and spent at least one battery flying backwards and forwards over her house (with more than 50m between) :)

I tried to explain, I tried to reason, I even presented proof - if she was too ignorant to see her folly, then fool on her.

The problem is that this is getting "mainstream".....and everybody is getting access to it...soon or late a stupid one..

One week ago i was making foot here on my city...
A gentleman start to make questions about the device, with education....at certain point he ask about altitude...and i look to the sky when a airplane was flying about a 1km above....and i said i would`t goo much further, because above us is a very busy corridor of airplanes descending to the airport no very far....

At the end he said he has a "real" heli pilot. Im quiete sure he left on a positive attitude about me and been responsible user of quads...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl