First fly away with Happyish ending

Reaction score
Hello all am hoping that you fine people could help me with something with my new drone ...yup new had it less than a week. Up until today i have just been out with it near some fields were i live all has been fine with it. Today i decided to take it to a local race course and get some footage and video of the water ways and race course. 4-5 minutes in to the flight i get out to 500m distance and about 80-100m high the drones says that its RTH thinking cool i get this to try

But it doesn't return to the spot in front of me but decides to fly of in to the distance with me running after it like a mad man trying to get it on the ground. It dips behind a building and its gone this all happens about 1pm today (cant remember the details correctly as this afternoon has been a blur). After looking in the water near a marina and canal thinking my luck gave up and it bit the dust. Fast forward 5 hours and am covered in mud head to toe and frozen.

I get in touch with the local Police line (non emergency) and report a missing drone giving them my details and the make model where it was set of and last seen, and the lovely young lass says that this is the fourth one since xmas and to keep an eye on the auction sites for new drones been sold and spares and repairs. get home 20mins later and the phone is ringing and the lovely lass tells me that someone has found a drone matching my description 1.36km from were i had the RTH it has what seems like a nice soft landing for the most part and it seems ok.

My question for you people is WTF happened if it was user error i need to know for future use and if it was a third party that could have made it happen, i say this as an RC club was within 1km of that site i picked unbeknownst to me at the time of flight.

Not sure how but can upload flight logs of it to see if anything pops up as an error.

Attachments

• travel .jpg
    travel .jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 568
Did you receive a "The home point has been updated, please check it on the map" and you checked it to ensure the home point was AT your take off location?

I'm betting, as this is the most frequent cause of it flying off RTH, that it went to the last recorded home point.

Are you using Android with 3.1.2 DJI Go and the latest firmware on the Phantom?

Play back the flight log in DJI Go, look for the blue dot moving at or around RTH kicking in.

I don't know the answer, sorry. I have seen numerous reports of this behaviour, all on 3.1.2 and Android with Here maps. The home point appears to jump 1.2km approx to the left of the map.
I haven't seen any reports of this on IOS.

I really don't know what the cause is, but there appears to be a pattern involving Android and the latest build of DJI Go. You may want to sync your flight log and start a thread at the DJI forum (linked above) to ask DJI to review the log.
I haven't personally experienced this issue - I fly on IOS, either iPhone or iPad and neither my P3S nor P3A exhibited this behaviour.

Reactions: steveobebop
I really don't know what the cause is, but there appears to be a pattern involving Android and the latest build of DJI Go. You may want to sync your flight log and start a thread at the DJI forum (linked above) to ask DJI to review the log.
I haven't personally experienced this issue - I fly on IOS, either iPhone or iPad and neither my P3S nor P3A exhibited this behaviour.

will post on there for sure will more than likely just do a copy and paste of the first post with a few addons thanks to what you found on it

thanks again Paul

Home point changed at 3:32.
Where is it on the DJI Go playback?
Paul, at 3 32 it recorded a new home Point, but at that time it was only 142 feet away from the owner. I wonder how it translated that HP to where it landed 2600 feet away. ? ? ? ?

It somehow records a new HPoint 145 feet away, then at 168 feet away from the original takeoff point it claims to be going home, then shoots off in the opposite direction. Sounds like a dog I had for a while.

Paul, at 3 32 it recorded a new home Point, but at that time it was only 142 feet away from the owner. I wonder how it translated that HP to where it landed 2600 feet away. ? ? ? ?

Yes, that appears to be the question - I've seen vids of the flight log played back where the home point jumps 1200m across the map for no apparent reason. Scary stuff.

I've just rolled back to app 2.9.1 to cure this on my android Nexus 7 , I once noticed luckily before taking it up that my home point was about a mile away on the here maps, I don't have this problem on my iPhone but I use the Nexus because of the larger screen and hopefully I've cured it

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

From what I've been reading in the last week or so, the "HP reset bug" seems to boil down to a new HP being set on its own roughly 1.2km away (WNW). It seems to me like a legit bug, so I'd expect an update soon. DJI knows about these reports, so I'd also expect them to cover anyone under warranty.

Even though there has been a few threads here as well as on the DJI forum, IMHO this bug is not being publicized as much as I think it should be publicized.

Reactions: Lasernerd
From what I've been reading in the last week or so, the "HP reset bug" seems to boil down to a new HP being set on its own roughly 1.2km away (WNW). It seems to me like a legit bug, so I'd expect an update soon. DJI knows about these reports, so I'd also expect them to cover anyone under warranty.

Even though there has been a few threads here as well as on the DJI forum, IMHO this bug is not being publicized as much as I think it should be publicized.
Certainly a strange one. I was looking at Stev-O-Bebo's log and his touchdown point was something like 800 meters away. I had wondered if it was suspiciously close to 1200 as that seems to be mentioned in other threads too, but it was not. Kinda makes me appreciate my Jurarsic life with my fear of anything "new and better".

Reactions: niteliter

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4