First Flights...

Reaction score
Well, after looking at it sitting in the case for a week, i finally got out over the last couple days to fly the new phantom 3 pro. My first quad flight ever, BTW...
A few things to mention are that I was running the latest firmware version on the bird and controller, having just updated it on Friday. I am also using an Ipad Air 2 with the latest 9.2 software update installed.. It was between 65-70F*, and the wind was less than 5 mph..
I gotta say everything went off without single hitch. After reading on here for the last couple weeks, some of the topics and comments i have read actually made me a bit nervous to get out there and fly it, but it was not an issue at all.. The bird is incredibly stable and easy to fly, so when/if in doubt, just release slowly and think about what you need to do. I had no issues and enjoyed the experience.. Although, I must admit, it's almost too easy and a bit underwhelming.. It really is a photography quad with a near flawless gimbal and a great camera, but excitement in flying is not really there..
I bought it to do before and after photos and video of my parking lot work, and for that, it will be great.. But i am considering a more sport oriented quad with an FPV set up for a few more notches on the fun factor.
This is the very first flight... It's slow and uneventful, but documented..lol Its really cool to see things from a different perspective.
Youtube is still working on the higher resolutions.

Welcome to the addiction. I'm real busy at work in the Christmas Season, so it aches me to see
sunny windless days at work. I've had the P3A up in 15+ mph winds, and it's a stable aircraft...

(great way to see Christmas lights!)

Just make sure you calibrate your compass as part of your pre-flight. It helps a lot.

Enjoy the flight!!! It's a great hobby!

Welcome to the addiction. I'm real busy at work in the Christmas Season, so it aches me to see
sunny windless days at work. I've had the P3A up in 15+ mph winds, and it's a stable aircraft...

(great way to see Christmas lights!)

Just make sure you calibrate your compass as part of your pre-flight. It helps a lot.

Enjoy the flight!!! It's a great hobby!
Calibrating the compass for every flight is not necessary.
Read this thread-- it is very informative and accurate
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

Calibrating the compass for every flight is not necessary.
Read this thread-- it is very informative and accurate
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

I'll stand corrected.... but... knowing when there's HIDDEN power cables is... well.... geez, they're HIDDEN!
Concrete.... oh, never mind.... the exceptions are vague, and ultimately, calibrating the compass IS recommended,
as the author doesn't like the consequences either.

So I'll say whenever you fly in a new location, just calibrate the compass. IF the calibrate button isn't there... fly baby, fly!

I'll stand corrected.... but... knowing when there's HIDDEN power cables is... well.... geez, they're HIDDEN!
Concrete.... oh, never mind.... the exceptions are vague, and ultimately, calibrating the compass IS recommended,
as the author doesn't like the consequences either.

So I'll say whenever you fly in a new location, just calibrate the compass. IF the calibrate button isn't there... fly baby, fly!
Well no, they may be hidden, but the Phantom will let you know they are there-- It is called compass error-- hang around long enough and you may find that out the hard way.. The author knows his stuff.:):) Cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl