First flight with the P3P in 4k

Editing 4K video takes either some serious Computer CPU horsepower.... or incredible patience. With a 3.4GHz i7 my bottleneck is the slow a** hard drive Apple put in this thing, so the EVO 6GB SSD should show a marked improvement in data management. I put one from OWC in my wife's 2009 iMac i5 and it really made a huge read/write improvement.

And what might one of those be?!
A solid State Drive replaces your old slow motor driven HD with one comprised of all Solid State (Flash Memory) with no moving parts. The latency in a normal drive is from waiting for the seek time on the heads moving to the correct spot to read the data you requested. With a solid state drive this latency is either greatly reduced or eliminated completely, speeding up read write times by an order of 20 or more in the better drives. The EVO drive linked to transfers up to 6 GB a sec, much faster than a conventional drive.

I'm thinking of three Samsung 850 120GB SSDs at $70 per drive, then putting them in a three-disk RAID 0 config...great performance and equals 360 GB. After the rendering I would transfer them to redundant backup for storage and safety...

Depends on the size of the drive and what you want to do with it. Five hundred GB in the neighborhood of $175-$200...250 GB around $115

I put a Samsung SSD drive in my system when I upgraded to a new MB, CPU & Memory. The system boots in seconds and graphic intensive software such as Photoshop, Premiere and AE load in about a 10th of the time it used to take on my old computer with a standard HDD. The SSD had more of noticeable performance impact than many other upgrades I've made. Most folks say to use the SSD for your main system drive where your operating system is. That's where much of the processing bottleneck is and you'll see major improvements on most applications even when they (or the data they access) is located on standard HDDs. SSD drives don't have the life expectency of standard HHD's (you'd think they would with no moving parts) and my research found aren't recommended for use where there are lots of writing, erasing and re-writing of large files. SSD's life expectency is based on the number of write cycles. The Samsungs are some of the best rated.

SSD is great as boot drive as per above post it will speed up your booting time. Disadvantage is you have limited capacity so after a year or so you might end up having a full c drive.
But it will not increase your render speed or not that much.
The max bandwidth of Phantom at 4k is 60Mbs = 7.5MB/s
You will be better off with a good 3.5' drive or maybe raid 0 eventhough that would be a total overkill unless you edit multiple tracks with PIPs etc.
Use one drive as storage drive and another as a cache drive.
Lots of article on what to choose eg:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...on/hard-drive-solutions-video-editing-studios
Depending on your editing software your best bet for fast renders is the best CPU you can buy and overclock it with some additional cooling system.
You could also convert your AVCHD files to AVI using eg CINEFORM (GoPro)- that will speed up editing even more. But will need lots of storage so no go with an ssd drive.
A very good graphics card (per your editing sw recommendations) might help as well.
Or simply creating proxy files.

I put a Samsung SSD drive in my system when I upgraded to a new MB, CPU & Memory. The system boots in seconds and graphic intensive software such as Photoshop, Premiere and AE load in about a 10th of the time it used to take on my old computer with a standard HDD. The SSD had more of noticeable performance impact than many other upgrades I've made. Most folks say to use the SSD for your main system drive where your operating system is. That's where much of the processing bottleneck is and you'll see major improvements on most applications even when they (or the data they access) is located on standard HDDs. SSD drives don't have the life expectency of standard HHD's (you'd think they would with no moving parts) and my research found aren't recommended for use where there are lots of writing, erasing and re-writing of large files. SSD's life expectency is based on the number of write cycles. The Samsungs are some of the best rated.

That's one advantage of using a RAID 0 setup if your MB supports it - the writes are distributed across the array so the drives last longer, and the performance is considerably improved. I Always backup my video files to external storage because I have lost a few SSDs. Also why I have a pair of SSDs as RAID 1 for my OS...

SSD is great as boot drive as per above post it will speed up your booting time. Disadvantage is you have limited capacity so after a year or so you might end up having a full c drive.
But it will not increase your render speed or not that much.
The max bandwidth of Phantom at 4k is 60Mbs = 7.5MB/s
You will be better off with a good 3.5' drive or maybe raid 0 eventhough that would be a total overkill unless you edit multiple tracks with PIPs etc.
Use one drive as storage drive and another as a cache drive.
Lots of article on what to choose eg:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...on/hard-drive-solutions-video-editing-studios
Depending on your editing software your best bet for fast renders is the best CPU you can buy and overclock it with some additional cooling system.
You could also convert your AVCHD files to AVI using eg CINEFORM (GoPro)- that will speed up editing even more. But will need lots of storage so no go with an ssd drive.
A very good graphics card (per your editing sw recommendations) might help as well.
Or simply creating proxy files.

Great suggestions Luap! I will certainly check that link. Another option might be some 10K drives...

Well here is the first flight with my P3P. The experience was awesome, I love it in every way, it is so responsive and is it me or is it quieter? Anyways, then there was the rendering part in Adobe Premiere Pro. I had to tweak it out but I got it working, the files are beast with 4k. To render this video, it took 3 hours! No music, no effects, just the video. Mind you that I have a PC with 3.6 processor, 16GB ram and an i7. Now I think it is time to get an SSD. Over all, I am very impressed with it, my only concern is the distance, I know I will want to go further

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Off topic, but I can't see how to post on this forum, unless there is a probationary time in which you can't. I am seeing availability from some dealers on P3P but have had no movement or response from DJI on my order placed three days ago. I have emailed three times with no response. They did take the cash, however. Does anyone know if they are shipping? Also, about how to post or probationary time?

I have a P3 but nowhere in the manual is any reference to "gimbal calibration". I don't know where luisrg found it.

Editing 4K video takes either some serious Computer CPU horsepower.... or incredible patience. With a 3.4GHz i7 my bottleneck is the slow a** hard drive Apple put in this thing, so the EVO 6GB SSD should show a marked improvement in data management. I put one from OWC in my wife's 2009 iMac i5 and it really made a huge read/write improvement.

For video editing, it actually works better to use an external or separate drive to store media and work off of, as opposed to upgrading your main drive and editing media from the same drive.

Plus it makes storage and media management a lot easier.

I just use bare 4TB drives on a thunderbolt dock, and swap them out as needed. My main drive on the iMac is a regular spinning drive that came with the computer, and I have no problems working with 4k video on FCPX, Premiere, and DaVinci.

iMac is over 4 years old by the way, 3.4ghz i7, 16gb RAM, AMD 6970M

Last edited:
Chewing it up and spitting it out and my system is now a little bit older. This file is rendered at 60MB/s and is 13 minutes long. Rendered in less than 1 1/2 hours.

Here is the outcome of the render

I7 2600K Sandy bridge clocked at 5Ghz
R9 290X
256GB Vertex 4 SSD
3Tb western digital black <<<That is where my videos are saved to so the SSD has nothing to do with my rendering speed
16GB DDR3
Custom water cooling with D5 pump and a triple and dual radiator

No need for doing RAID on SSD's any more. Just get an Intel 750 SSD. Read 2400MB/s and write 1200MB/s

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...STMATCH&Description=intel+750&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Chewing it up and spitting it out and my system is now a little bit older. This file is rendered at 60MB/s and is 13 minutes long. Rendered in less than 1 1/2 hours.

Here is the outcome of the render

I7 2600K Sandy bridge clocked at 5Ghz
R9 290X
256GB Vertex 4 SSD
3Tb western digital black <<<That is where my videos are saved to so the SSD has nothing to do with my rendering speed
16GB DDR3
Custom water cooling with D5 pump and a triple and dual radiator

No need for doing RAID on SSD's any more. Just get an Intel 750 SSD. Read 2400MB/s and write 1200MB/s

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...STMATCH&Description=intel+750&N=-1&isNodeId=1
5 Ghz! No crashing? That's a pretty system you have there - But isn't the SSD Raid overkill? The 4k videos are only 7.5MB/s - Whats the difference in render time if you only use your WD Black? What graphics card do you have?

5 Ghz! No crashing? That's a pretty system you have there - But isn't the SSD Raid overkill? The 4k videos are only 7.5MB/s - Whats the difference in render time if you only use your WD Black? What graphics card do you have?

I don't have raid. Just the single ssd and 3tb drive. My 3tb drive is where my videos are rendered to so my ssd doesn't play a role in the render speed at all. My system has been running at 5ghz for a few years now. I have stress tested it many times. It will actually do 5.2ghz but to go from 5 to 5.2 required to much of a voltage jump for me to be conformable with it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic