First Flight with Hero 4 fitted with 4.35mm

Reaction score
Here's one of my first flights since fitting the new motors. However the high wind affected stability in fact I struggled to bring it home as the strength of the wind was making it drift to the left on the homeward journey which is speeded up X4. At one point I had to turn on home lock and reduce altitude before it started making reasonable progress home. It had me worried for a while :(

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Forgot to say I was filming in 4K with a 4.35mm lens with 72deg FOV. I have to say the result is so much better IMHO as everything is rectilinear with no fish eye effect and still quite a reasonable wide angle.

Still a lot to learn with regards to filming and processing but. The high wind certainly didn't help for smooth manoeuvring :)

Here's one of my first flights since fitting the new motors. However the high wind affected stability in fact I struggled to bring it home as the strength of the wind was making it drift to the left on the homeward journey which is speeded up X4. At one point I had to turn on home lock and reduce altitude before it started making reasonable progress home. It had me worried for a while :(

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not bad.but I still see those props in the video form time to time. I use the 5.4mm at 60° no props unless tilting the camera up over the horizontal level which I set it up in the vertical gimbal configuration in order to do that.

Which software are you using for editing your footage?

Not bad.but I still see those props in the video form time to time. I use the 5.4mm at 60° no props unless tilting the camera up over the horizontal level which I set it up in the vertical gimbal configuration in order to do that.

Which software are you using for editing your footage?
I'm using Final Cut Pro but just feeling my way around. I guess I need to start watching tutorials. The props showed when I was heading out at full speed with the wind behind but I think on a calmer day with gentler flying I might get away with it.

The processing was only splicing the two video files and cutting into sections so I could alter the speed x4 out x1 above the trees, x4 in the way back and a new feature for me x4 reducing to 0 for the landing. Then I added an audio track from a album I like but I found a site that supplied free karaoke music which gets by the YouTube music rights problem. I had a problem with flare as the sun is so low this time of year but I'll add a polarising filter next time. Also I didn't use protune or enhancements to the colour so maybe next time I can improve on that

I'm using Final Cut Pro but just feeling my way around. I guess I need to start watching tutorials. The props showed when I was heading out at full speed with the wind behind but I think on a calmer day with gentler flying I might get away with it.

The processing was only splicing the two video files and cutting into sections so I could alter the speed x4 out x1 above the trees, x4 in the way back and a new feature for me x4 reducing to 0 for the landing. Then I added an audio track from a album I like but I found a site that supplied free karaoke music which gets by the YouTube music rights problem. I had a problem with flare as the sun is so low this time of year but I'll add a polarising filter next time. Also I didn't use protune or enhancements to the colour so maybe next time I can improve on that

All editing is done on a PC using Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro and Bridge. As videographer I know all to well how filters effect video whether using a DSLR or video camcorder and personally I do not use them on the GoPro as you have no control over them. A polarising filter is only effective when pointed 90° away from the sun not in it's direction. The other problem with using filters on a GoPro you have no way of knowing what shutter speed is being used because there simply isn't any metadata other then the video resolution used. The same is true of DSLR's no metadata when shooting video unless you take a photo first then you would have record of what setting were used.

The one thing I do use on the GoPro is clear lens protector with sunhood attached so I never have strobing caused by the sun overhead causing prop shadows in the video. The hood is super glued to the lens protector.and it heavy enough to throw the balance off on the camera.
IMG_2538.jpg

Thanks I've seen you post that lens shroud before. I'll have a go at modifying one of my lens protectors

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic