First flight issue with return to home P3P

Reaction score
I just bought a p3 Pro. We updated the firm ware to the latest version ad I practiced on the simulator before my first flight. I have the P3 in beginner mode just until I get used to it. Today I tried my first flight. The temp was 37 degrees F. The wind was steady with occasional light/medium gusts. I went to the local high school sports field. It was clear and level. I was flying at about 8 to 10 feet and getting used to the controllers. The drone was approx 150 feet away and I tried the home function. We did set the compass and home point before the flight. Once I hit the home function the drone started to ascend straight up. I kept going up, and up. I could not control it until I cancelled the return to home function. Anyone have any ideas what happened. Was this a user error, did I miss an important step? Or is this something else????

Thank you all for any help and tips for a newbie flier.

Mike

That is what is supposed to do. When RTH is activated the Phantom will climb to the RTH altitude you set in the setting and then return to the home point.

Reactions: GeoMike
If the drone is a certain distance away from the home point, it will ascend to a certain height before going towards its home position in order to avoid obstacles.

Scary on the first couple of flights if you've been flying low altitude, then suddenly the drone starts going higher than you've yet dared to go yourself!

The RTH function will make the P3P ascend to a safe height to avoid trees so it's normal to shoot up if the height set for RTH is higher than the current height. There's a setting in the DJI software to set the RTH safe height. This probably catches us all out the first time.

You can set the height in which your bird will go to before heading home. as a safeguard in case you need to clear any obstructions. MC Settings/Advanced Settings/ Failsafe Mode: set height. I have mine set at 50 before returning home.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thank you all for your quick reply's. This makes me feel much better. I still plan to stay in a wide open sports type field for my first few flights. Thank you all again.

Mike

The drone was approx 150 feet away and I tried the home function. We did set the compass and home point before the flight. Once I hit the home function the drone started to ascend straight up. I kept going up, and up. I could not control it until I cancelled the return to home function.
The manual has three pages on RTH because it's probably the most important section to understand.
There's a lot to learn but it isn't hard.
Every flier should read and practice RTH so they understand how it works and how to use it when they need to - including cancelling and resuming control.

You will want to take note around you of the highest object that you need to fly over and clear. Go into you app and in the settings set the RTH height 50 ft higher than the object(s) so you will be safe and clear incase you have to use that function. If you craft is flying higher that the RTH height it will stay at that level to do the RTH but if lower it will automatically climb to the setting.

I just bought a p3 Pro. We updated the firm ware to the latest version ad I practiced on the simulator before my first flight. I have the P3 in beginner mode just until I get used to it. Today I tried my first flight. The temp was 37 degrees F. The wind was steady with occasional light/medium gusts. I went to the local high school sports field. It was clear and level. I was flying at about 8 to 10 feet and getting used to the controllers. The drone was approx 150 feet away and I tried the home function. We did set the compass and home point before the flight. Once I hit the home function the drone started to ascend straight up. I kept going up, and up. I could not control it until I cancelled the return to home function. Anyone have any ideas what happened. Was this a user error, did I miss an important step? Or is this something else????

Thank you all for any help and tips for a newbie flier.

Mike
Hey Mike,
Also in MA and these cold days haven't kept me from flying either. The RTH responded correctly as others have mentioned. Check your settings and you'll likely see what we're referring too. Let me know if you care to join up for some dual flying, not too far from Northborough. Enjoy

Thank you all for your quick reply's. This makes me feel much better. I still plan to stay in a wide open sports type field for my first few flights. Thank you all again.

Mike
You are doing the right thing in practicing! However your question indicates there may be other critical information you are not aware of. A thorough reading of the manual will help keep your bird safe. One other thing you need to know about RTH. If you are flying below the canopy, say at 10' above a forest trail, and RTH is activated (automatically due to some failure) the bird is going to go straight up...right into the trees. Don't ask. It was as close to disaster as I've come so far.

Been there done that. Boy the first time that happens it really gets the old pulse going!
i-Bm2bFPg-Ti.gif

That's the odd thing about the P3P. I bought it at best buy, and it did not come with a manual. I have just been watching the DJI and others Y-tube videos. I also could not find any online manuals for this drone. The videos are helpful, but I would still like to have a printed reference manual to read. I am sort of old school about that. I would think a 1300 dollar item would come with a manual.

Mike
Go to the dload section at dji.com or phantomhelp.com to get your manual

One other thing to note. When it is in RTH mode you can still adjust the height with the left control stick. I don't know if it works on the initial climb, but afterwards you can control it.

Yep been there, but mine was a little different because I had powered it on in my house then went outside to fly it, when I hit the home button it did what it was designed to do up, up , up then it tried to go to home which was inside my house so it hard landed on the roof. Fortunately I was able to catch it as it tumbled off the roof, had to replace the props very minor damage.

That's the odd thing about the P3P. I bought it at best buy, and it did not come with a manual. I have just been watching the DJI and others Y-tube videos. I also could not find any online manuals for this drone. The videos are helpful, but I would still like to have a printed reference manual to read. I am sort of old school about that. I would think a 1300 dollar item would come with a manual.
You have a lot of reading to do.
You'll find your manual here:
Phantom 3 Professional - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO | DJI
You can also access it in the app.

Don't try way point flying until you get proficient. From take off to first waypoint is on an angle from point a to point b and not up to altitude then to point b. If anything is is the way .... Bummer. There are tips on doing way point flying too.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl