First Flight - GPS Mode then P-Opti Mode on Record

Reaction score
I flew my new Phantom 3 Pro today for the first time. I'm confused about the flight mode when I press the Video Record button. The P3P boots up, saves home point and I get a green Ready to Fly GPS Mode indicator at the top of the Pilot App, but as soon as I press the Video Record button it goes into P-Opti mode.

Anybody have this problem? Both the P3P and Controller have firmware successfully updated to the latest version.

I am assuming that is before you take off? From what I gather, "opti" is automatic in 6m? I forget the exact height range opti works in.

As soon as the craft initializes and obtains GPS lock, the green bar says it's in P-GPS mode - Safe to Fly. Even when it's sitting on the ground, if I hit the record button, it goes into P-Opti mode, stop the recording and it goes back into P-GPS mode.

As soon as the craft initializes and obtains GPS lock, the green bar says it's in P-GPS mode - Safe to Fly. Even when it's sitting on the ground, if I hit the record button, it goes into P-Opti mode, stop the recording and it goes back into P-GPS mode.
Try it from 20 feet up.

Try it from 20 feet up.

I see there's a setting in the DJI Pilot App under MC Settings / Advanced Settings with the following on/off switch:

Enable Vision Positioning System

I'm at work today and don't have my P3P with me to verify if that remedies the issue.

I actually was able to speak to DJI Support yesterday to find out why our Phantom 3 Pro switches from P-GPS to P-OPTI when we press the Record Video button. They have had any reports of this problem and suggested we contact the vendor (UAV-Outlet) for a replacement, otherwise we would have to send it to DJI for repairs. What the heck, this thing is brand new fresh from China and there's already a problem with it? Looks like DJI still has quality control issues.

We don't want to fly it with this problem for fear of a fly-away or crash.

Has any new Phantom 3 owner see this issue? Are we the only one with this problem? With all the new P3P's already out there, I'm trying to determine if this is a defective unit or is there something we need to look at in the settings on the App that could be causing this problem.

Have you tried it while flying yet? If it's just a problem while the bird is sitting on the ground, there's no need to return it... unless you do a lot of filming of the grass from 2" up.

Doesn't matter should not do that period.
Make sure you have upgraded everything, all the firmware, app etc. If so, ask for a replacement.
I wouldn't want a P3 that does that considering it cost you $1,000 or more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.