First flight after switching to NAZA mode didn't go well

One would think you will have the same problems calibrating in Phantom mode. It's a tuff call if it calibrates correctly. Sure you can still fly it but you'll always want for Naza.
Good luck and let us know how you go.

Thanks guys,

Well, I took my bird out the other day and it's still not flying properly. Prior to this, I updated to the latest firmware and also put it back to Phantom mode. I recalibrated the compass using the new app button and all seemed good.

I lift off, let it hover for a good 2-3 minutes (steady at first), but then she starts to drift/move around. She's just not very stable anymore and like she was on my very first few flights in Phantom mode. She was really rock solid on my first couple of flights. There didn't seem to be any TBE this time, but again, I just let her hover in place to see how stable she is. If I didn't know better, I would say she was in ATTI mode, but she ISN'T and I'm positive of that.

Here's my compass values from the assistant:

My MOD values are almost always between 1200 and 1400. I doesn't seem like it's a compass problem but what else could it be?

Any other ideas or thoughts? I don't know what else to try and I'm losing faith and confidence in this bird by the day. :(

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 329
Sasquatch,
I have been flying a p2v and a p2v+ in NAZA with no problem Assistant version 1.08. Occasionally, I try the latest version "upgrade" and get that loose feeling where the bird just goes in circles and even varies altitude by several feet. You might try "upgrading" back to 1.08 if you are still having problems. :D

Thanks for the reply and suggestion, Fplvert...

When I bought my PV2+, she came with 3.0 and she was flying great at that time when using Phantom mode. Rock solid hovering and very responsive basic maneuvering. My original problem seemed to occur when I switched to NAZA mode while in 3.0. I had a TBE flight and ever since then, she's been unstable while hovering.

Dang Sasquatch, we need to get you back in the air! So you switched back to Phantom mode, had a successful calibration, and you still can't fly it? Are you in 3.06?

JWarren said:
Dang Sasquatch, we need to get you back in the air! So you switched back to Phantom mode, had a successful calibration, and you still can't fly it? Are you in 3.06?

Hi JWarren,

Yep, switched back to Phantom mode and after upgrading to 3.06 over the past weekend. I've had NO other problems with my bird; none with the app, FPV, the assistant software and nothing with any of the peripherals, but she's just not flying right anymore. I don't understand why I *might* be having compass issues and since my MOD values are always good. The assistant has only once told me I needed to recalibrate the compass and I did it successfully at that time.

I saw your video of the TBE effect you experienced and have read you've had some minor compass issues as well. For the most part though, you've been able to work through them and are still able to fly whereas, I don't feel I can and safely anymore.

Honestly amigo, I'd go out to a field, away from people, calibrate it, and take that bird off. I'm thinking it was just a fluke. My first instinct was to land when I saw the TBE, and I likely should have, but I saw it work it self out and tested all the functions and it worked fine. But like I said, when I did land, it said Compass Calibration Needed. That was a first for me.

JWarren said:
Honestly amigo, I'd go out to a field, away from people, calibrate it, and take that bird off. I'm thinking it was just a fluke.

Thanks JWarren but this is what I did. I took my bird out to a very large field 2 days ago, did the compass dance and tried to fly her. I was wary (of course after the 3.06 upgrade and since my initial TBE flight). I took her up about 20 feet, let her hover for a few minutes and watched what happened. She wasn't stable, she was moving all over and seemed to be drifting in all directions in the x.y.z. grid. I can't fly my quad under those conditions. Until I get this sorted out and she's more stable while hovering, she's basically grounded. :(

Luckily, your TBE rectified itself quickly and I've only had that happen once myself, weeks ago (beginning of this thread). My problem now is that she's just no longer stable in a hover and just not flying right IMO. It's like she's not in GPS but rather ATTI, but again, I know she's not. And since I'm still a new flyer, I can't even be sure I'm assessing things right. I've never flown my bird in ATTI mode so I don't truly know how it behaves in this mode. I can only go by what I've read what happens in ATTI mode and say that this is how my bird seems to be behaving and with my last couple of flights.

Squach, on your display screen, I'm guessing its all green as in satellites, battery levels, camera etc.? Have you looked closely at your props to make sure they are ok? If you are willing to drive down to Texas I'd like to give that bucking bull a go. :) One last question, have you switched to ATTI and tried to fly it? Its basically the same, it just won't hover in place if there is wind and such. Might narrow it down to a GPS issue?

JWarren said:
Squach, on your display screen, I'm guessing its all green as in satellites, battery levels, camera etc.?

Yep, yes and definitely.

JWarren said:
Have you looked closely at your props to make sure they are ok?

Good question. They seem fine to me but, I did have a minor crash during my initial TBE event. The bird came down semi rough, not harsh by any means, but the forward props did crash into the ground. I checked them and I can't tell if they are compromised. I do have my second set of props, do you think it could be as simple as that?

JWarren said:
One last question, have you switched to ATTI and tried to fly it? Its basically the same, it just won't hover in place if there is wind and such. Might narrow it down to a GPS issue?

Again, no. I haven't flown my bird in ATTI yet. I've read up about what happens when it's in ATTI and this is what I'm comparing it to and since my last flight on Sunday.

When you say all over and drifting, how far are you talking about? Does it drift around a central area or keep going if you don't correct it?

Yea, switch those props out if they've been in a crash. Might just be that simple.

ryanhoelzer said:
When you say all over and drifting, how far are you talking about? Does it drift around a central area or keep going if you don't correct it?

Hi Ryan,

I've had two flights since my initial TBE flight; one before upgrading to 3.06 and one after. From what I've observed, the bird will continue to 'drift' or move and if I DON'T correct its flight path. I haven't allowed it to wander too much and beyond what I perceive to be acceptable boundaries. From what I've experienced before while flying 3.0 in Phantom mode and comparing to how the bird flies now, flight seems completely random, different and unpredictable.

JWarren said:
Yea, switch those props out if they've been in a crash. Might just be that simple.

Ok, yes...I will try this for my next test flight. I really wouldn't think that this would be a problem, but maybe it is!

Thanks guys.

Naza is not necessarily a flight mode, it's when your in naza mode and you have flipped your S1 switch to middle position which is atti mode or lower position which is manual or return home depending upon which one you selected in assistant software. The quad will fly the same as phantom mode in S1 switch top position, but when you fly in atti mode the quad will be less forgiving unless you stay on the sticks. I switch multiple times back and forth from gps(top) to atti(middle) during flight and never have any issues. If you push the stick forward and the quad continues drifting forward after you have released the stick that is perfectly normal, I could understand how she feels like she is all over the place. If you get nervous or in a bind flip the switch to top position and the quad will come to a stand still. Hope this was helpful. :)

jasonb777 said:
it's when your in naza mode and you have flipped your S1 switch to middle position which is atti mode or lower position which is manual or return home depending upon which one you selected in assistant software. The quad will fly the same as phantom mode in S1 switch top position, but when you fly in atti mode the quad will be less forgiving unless you stay on the sticks.

Thanks Jason....I understand this completely. However, I've always flown in GPS mode since buying the bird and I am 100% certain of this, all switches up. I've checked my switch integrity in the assistant software to ensure I don't have any faulty switches as well. They aren't 'iffy' or falsely registering the positions they SHOULD be in.

My bad, I thought you meant you were flying in atti mode not gps mode. So yeah, if the bird was moving around by itself in gps mode then there is obviously an issues. I don't know if this will help any but ever since I put the stage 2 antenna kit on my transmitter it was taking forever to get 6 or more sattilites, so today I installed the foil mod which was really easy. I used 'Nashua 324a foil tape' which is sold at homedepot and let me tell ya I got 11 sats in town today. You might of got some interference and this mod will improve your shielding. I was skeptical but it definitely helped me.

Sash, You probably done:
IMU on a flat surface? Yes
Changed all your props? Yes
Checked switches? Yes
Inspect the leg with the compass attached - make sure they are not bent and altering the angle of the compass.
Last to try is the Gains - change to default. If you alter the gains, the bird can wobble.

The very last thing you can do is motor check (i'm clutching at straws). I don't recommend this as there is probably a better method. Ie resistance check.
Be careful and do this at your own risk. Use guards if you can.
Catch the phantom and leave the motor running. Take her indoors. Now tilt her left/right/back/fwd and see if there is a weaker motor. You may visually see or hear if a motor is impaired. You need to do indoors as the wind affects the speed of the motors.

I had my first naza flight today but kept it in gps mode and was ok. but on the ground to begin with I couldn't understand what was going on? firstly when I powered on the drone it didn't play the usual tune. no noise at all?? secondly the front red led's didn't come on at all either?. I decided to do a compass calibration which seemed ok, and my screen showed 10 satelites. happy days. when I armed the phantom one of my props flew off as if the motor spun up in reverse. I screwed the prop back on and armed it again and the props stayed on and they all were giving down draught so spinning the right way. I took a deep breath and bounced her up to ten feet and all the lights were now on as expected. I just wonder what happened and if anybody else had this happen?

Wow that is strange and I've never heard of anything similar.
With so many things going wrong you're lucky it didn't end up in a crash.
I guess the one thing we can take away from your experience is.... if she acts out of the ordinary, even smallest sign, shut it off and restart.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4