First ever Phantom crash (after 9 months)

Reaction score
Well I suppose it had to happen some time despite precautions - I had my first crash ever with a Phantom this afternoon - my P3Pro.

Did all the usual pre-flight checks, checked the wind with my anemometer which showed 3-4mph gusting to 7-8mph, all was OK so off I flew. 15 minutes later bringing the bird back in to hand catch (I'm 6'4" so with my arm raised say a catching height of 7'4") just about to take hold when a sudden hard gust flipped it over onto it's back and it went down on it's back, onto a concrete pavement with a "crunch!" on the other side of a fence.

I felt sick as I legged it to my Phantom fearing that the gimbal would be in pieces, etc, etc. But no! The only thing damaged on visual inspection was the gold DJI sticker on top of the body, the battery had been ejected but seemed fine, one of the propellor guard quick releases had partially broken off, and the black plastic knobs on top of the blades were badly scored as they had clearly taken most of the impact.

Got home about 2 hours ago, recalibrated the gimbal, recalibrated the compass, physically checked the motors for being loose and the shafts for any damaged brushes, put on some new blades and did a pre-flight test flight in the garden (well screened from the wind and lawned). The Phantom flew perfectly - held position well and all controls operated perfectly. I've now done a thorough physical check for any cracks (stress or otherwise) or any other damage and can find none! I feel very very lucky.

That just doesn't make sense... I've seen videos where people will push the quad away while hovering low and it doesn't even come close to flipping... and I've seen them push really hard.

That just doesn't make sense... I've seen videos where people will push the quad away while hovering low and it doesn't even come close to flipping... and I've seen them push really hard.
It is a strange ending of a flight for sure...... kinda makes me think about the hand catching procedure-- don't hand catch with the "wind in your face" :eek::eek:-- always down wind:D:D

Reactions: snowghost
Stile2112,

I too have seen those videos which is why I was taken aback by what happened. I've just analysed my flight record using the tool on HealthyDrones.com which does show that the bird suffered an extreme turn (more than 90 degrees in under 0.3 second) which they attribute to a malfunction in the compass or, as happened a crash. The compass was calibrated pre-flight and, as I stated in my post, when I got back home.

I think this had a lot to do with it...... 'just about to take hold when a sudden hard gust flipped it'. A bit different to pushing it with your hand I would imagine

I think this had a lot to do with it...... 'just about to take hold when a sudden hard gust flipped it'. A bit different to pushing it with your hand I would imagine
So I assume you missed the Youtube video of a young lad jacking around with the P3 while It was hovering-- he kept pushing it back and forth with his hand and after about the fourth time it flew straight in to the side of a house about 35 feet away-- he was the subject of all kinds of ridicule -- so yes, they will go out of control.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers