First Drone

Reaction score
So what drone did you start out with. Really thinking I shouldn't go with Phantom 3 for first one. I have never flown so would rather destroy something cheaper.

Thanks

Wise move. Get a Syma x5C or similar.. $50 and fun to fly. Learn how to fly without GPS first and it will pay dividends

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: sgeiger
I have both the Syma x5c and x8hc. The 8 is similar in size to the phantom and has altitude hold so it flies similar to the phantom in 'atti' mode. Nice rugged bird with a reasonable camera for less than $100

straight to phantom 3 pro...you can do it to...just go to an open area, turn on gps mode, and fly it a little high so that you can get the gist of it in an open area. This way you won't hit the ground or tree/building. It's pretty easy. Honestly anyone can do it. When you land it descend slow, but right before it touches the ground, ease off the stick to land it smoothly.

Oh and go slow and remember that the controller is usually sensitive. Just get the flow down so that when you fly atti mode, you will have the general idea of how it moves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy Iversen
I started with the Phantom 3 pro. I did crack it up a few times. Every time it was my fault! Practicing with something cheap is not a bad idea. The pro is easy to fly, don't get me wrong, but in the beginning the orientation can throw you off when you're close to things, like when trying to land in the driveway near the house. It's easy to get flustered. Like when it's facing you and the controls are basically backwards. You have to stay calm and keep a clear head in that case. It gets much easier with a few hours of practice.

So what drone did you start out with. Really thinking I shouldn't go with Phantom 3 for first one. I have never flown so would rather destroy something cheaper.

Thanks

I think you should go for the Phantom. Preferably light bridge connected like the P3A or better. These drones are really easy to fly (even my kids fly the my P4 on regular basis). I have broken a lot of RC crafts over the years, but i haven´t even damaged a prop on the phantoms. Just start out slow and watch the youtube tutorials out there, and you´ll be fine. Phantoms are great drones and i don´t think you will regret buying one.

Well for me I never flown anything that last more then one flight non drone things. However I have the phantom 4 that was a gift about 2 months ago. I never thought I had a chance with it. I read a lot and watched videos for a solid week before I enough fired up the drone. My 1st flight was just about 20 feet just up then down to get a feel. Next went up a bit higher did a pan and little left and right and landed. Took that back reviewed. Next day I kept it about my height level and did a few movements then tested the active track hover once felt that I activated it to move and track me slowly. Called it a day next time I put it up in a empty field and test the RTH. Found that it needs a bit more distance as the gps won't really adjust it will land anywhere in a lot field if not to big. So I expanded to one side of the field and went 3 houses over and the RTH worked great and even to cancel or make adjustments during are easy. I have to say the for my 1st drone the basics seem to be very nice for new flyers like me. The hover feature is huge. It gives you time to just breath and focus on your next move if you get turned around or confused. My question is if I lose signal does it return to home or land where it's at. If the bartery goes out it lands where ever is that correct. Hope I helped a little. And thanks to all that can answer my question as well. This board has many great people and I thank you.

My bad to end my posts I forgot. I have 35 flights now and no issues. I have yet to learn waypoints and taken out of sight. I get a bit nervous when it's a dot and the iPad mini a few times gets some lag and I don't see it moving. I take it the boosters might help that even though I want to stay in view ?

Start with the Phantom 3 Pro or the Phantom 4. IMHO, there's no advantage to the conventional wisdom of buying some toy drone to practice with. The performance of the Phantom 4 is so vastly beyond any of those toys that the amount you can learn is limited. Learn on the Phantom. It's GPS and position sensors make it an exceptionally stable platform to learn on. Personally, I'd recommend the Phantom 4, but my bias is toward buying the best drone, not the best drone for the money. They are definitely not the same thing. If your budget is that limited, I'm sure the P3P is a good value.

so looks like most of guys are al for the phantom. its prob not something il use a lot so don't want to spend a lot of $. Here is another question although i am pretty sure I know what you all will say. This Sat I can buy a P3S for $379. Other than it being wifi Its prob what I want to spend. thoughts/concerns. Flyin sounds like you starting method is how I would be. Thanks for all your comments

Go for the phantom 4 it's amazing to me the first main flight I would say I it was pay for because it was so amazing and I'm hooked. Well worth it hands down.

so looks like most of guys are al for the phantom. its prob not something il use a lot so don't want to spend a lot of $. Here is another question although i am pretty sure I know what you all will say. This Sat I can buy a P3S for $379. Other than it being wifi Its prob what I want to spend. thoughts/concerns. Flyin sounds like you starting method is how I would be. Thanks for all your comments
The phamtom 3 standard is a great machine. And that's a great price for one. I have zero complaints with my p3s. My first quad was a little syma x5hw. Was great to learn on wasn't afraid to bump it up being only $50 lol and it did get bumped up some but I still fly it around when I just want to goof around fly. But the p3s is a great bird, easy to fly, and reliable (mine has been, knock on wood) and at the price you mentioned I can't imagine you regrettting your purchase if you pick one up :)

If you have the few extra hundred to throw at a professional or advanced model, go for it. You will probably end up liking the extra range over the standard as you get more comfortable. I have a standard and it does everything I want it to do with just some cheap mods. And if you do end up crashing, it's less money for another one or replacement parts.
I don't think you need a cheap one to practice on since the phantoms have compass and GPS to keep them in place but it is important to remember you should still know how to fly without the aid of these sensors. GPS likely won't fail if you are in open air but the compass may have an error and disable itself and GPS to prevent something worse from happening.

I was in the P4 for 1st drone camp. I have since changed my mind. No crashes with my P4 and maybe 2 or 3 close calls. What I have discovered is taking my X5C-1 out often hones my flying skills and that gives me more confidence and opens up new doors with the P4.

Recently lost the Syma drone for a short period of time (printed flyers & neighbor called) - I was at a loss and was about to pull the trigger on the Husband X4 502E
Hubsan X4 H502E 2.4G Drone-78.89 and Online Shopping | GearBest.com Mobile

Heck, under 80 bucks. This is what I reccomend. The X5C-1 is DURABLE AS ALL GET OUT but drifts a he'll of a lot and climbs so easily and fast that you lose cinnection; bye bye.

NoCo Drones

Another advantage to having the 8HC is that it makes a good indoor flyer. The local drone flying group has periodic meetup/flyins and the next one is going to be inside the arena at a local college. Perfect for the 8. And flying the 8 gives me additional practice flying in a mode similar to 'atti' on my P3A.

Well another deal I found. I am able to get a P3A for $581. $200 more than the P3A deal.

Well another deal I found. I am able to get a P3A for $581. $200 more than the P3A deal.

P3A will be perfect then! You will have Lightbridge and the good range of the P3A/P3P drones. Also, 2.7k capture witch the P3A brings is by many considered the sweet spot when it comes to quality vs file size / editing etc. Personally i usually go with 2.7k or 1080p/60fps on the P4, depending on what i´m filming.

I have both the Syma x5c and x8hc. The 8 is similar in size to the phantom and has altitude hold so it flies similar to the phantom in 'atti' mode. Nice rugged bird with a reasonable camera for less than $100
I have the X5C and X8C, I learned to fly with them. I've crashed them dozens of times while I was learning to fly. They're incredibly easy to repair/rebuild, and repair parts are dirt cheap.

One thing, the X5C takes remarkably artifact free video. The X5C is a really smooth flier, you'll know it as soon as the props start spinning. the X5C is wonderful. Never a bit of jello with that bird. The X8c is a bit more powerful, and the video is succeptable to jello and vibration artifacts. Balancing the props is almost essential to getting decent video with the X8C.

The SYMA HD camera upgrade is worth it. The 2mP camera that comes with the bird is a throw-away. I've had decent success using the Walkera G-2D gimbal. Works like a champ but you'll get shorter flights.

Cheers

I too flew the 80 dollar Syma for a couple of weeks, which does give you the same stick controls, I crashed it oh, about 10 times, so even though the difference between the Syma & Phantom P3A is night & day, to me it was worth the practice in just getting up in the air.
Did make the Phantom all the more awesome, believe me!!
ps- Lost the Syma X8C, sameday I took delivery of my P3A,
Syma ran away from home!

I agree with Pete Leare above in post 2. Buy something cheap and learn to pilot it. As he says, the experience will pay dividends. The deals you see on the Phantoms today will be here tomorrow.

Reactions: Pete Leare

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.