First drone job.

Reaction score
So I just got contacted to do my first paid drone job. YIPPEE!

I got my license and have my drone registered with Transport Canada. This person contacted me wanting me to do a video of the house and yard they are wanting to sell. They want the video edited and they are in a neighborhood. I got their address and gonna look on airmap. A few questions...

As this is my first paid drone job, I am wondering what you guys would charge? They just want a video not sure how long and maybe a few images, so there would be time, travel about 30 min, and computer editing time.

My next question, should I get them to just let the neighbors know what will be going on? Just as you all know, some people might not like the fact that a drone is flying around that low, they might know know what is going on.

Thanks!

Congrats on your first job ?
No idea myself what to tell you what to charge but you
might want to join our other site
1569891065574.png

as I have seen this posted about a lot. Not sure if that is a link or not but is at bottom of page.
edit. Not the link but I tryed. :(

Do you have an idea of what the competition is charging?

You ask what 'we charge" but what we charge my be over or underpriced for your area. I base my price on a few elements:
1. Competition rates
2. Logistics (how far do I have to travel
3. Size of the house approx value. (the higher end homes bring more money)
4. What the client wants me to do. (Photos, Videos, Photos+video)

I know this answer may be vague but I do hope it helps you to know how to structure your pricing.

With that said, I do hope you're not implying that you are doing a job 'before" price negotiation. I know everyone does business a little differently but doing a job before settling on a price is like putting the cart before the horse (IMHO). What if you do the job and cannot settle on a price? May turn out to be a waste of your time.

As far as alerting neighbors, I have never had to do that.

I wear a safety vest that has "FAA Pilot...ect" on the back and have never had any problems. I did have a guy pull up one time to ask what I was working on/doing and I simply told him that I was hired to do real estate video of this property and he said, "cool" and drove on.

So I just got contacted to do my first paid drone job. YIPPEE!

I got my license and have my drone registered with Transport Canada. This person contacted me wanting me to do a video of the house and yard they are wanting to sell. They want the video edited and they are in a neighborhood. I got their address and gonna look on airmap. A few questions...

As this is my first paid drone job, I am wondering what you guys would charge? They just want a video not sure how long and maybe a few images, so there would be time, travel about 30 min, and computer editing time.

My next question, should I get them to just let the neighbors know what will be going on? Just as you all know, some people might not like the fact that a drone is flying around that low, they might know know what is going on.

Thanks!

This standard for what we do for houses.

I use phantom 4v2 and DJI osmo orginal and edit on Final Cut Pro. As for price I have one set of clients that 400. (Always have a minimum drive of hour and most of the time farther.) Other price is for a local company is 300, with about 4-8 aerial and my for my newest company that I have been trying to get is 300 but I have to include photos both inside and out also drone photos as well of full video production.

But to answer your answer your question I started off doing just drone 50$ only photos and video one battery worth no editing video. If I were starting again I would say (this is for drone video and arial photos only not figuring we doing interior) the first 5 jobs I will give a discount offer of 100 dollars (that will give you time to practice and some improving time) then starting around 150 after that. Discount good 6 months.

Last thing I have found that after the video is all saved finished it’s a holly nightmare getting these people the video, them up loading, and them pushing and using it as advertisement.

As for Neighbors, if the come out side smile and wave say hi and keep working, dress nice your on the job. If the ask I just tell them I’m making a video to help promote the house for selling. To date I only had one person who was an ***.

I’m not sure what Canada laws are so I can’t say what I do is right with Neighbors.

Do you have an idea of what the competition is charging?

You ask what 'we charge" but what we charge my be over or underpriced for your area. I base my price on a few elements:
1. Competition rates
2. Logistics (how far do I have to travel
3. Size of the house approx value. (the higher end homes bring more money)
4. What the client wants me to do. (Photos, Videos, Photos+video)

I know this answer may be vague but I do hope it helps you to know how to structure your pricing.

With that said, I do hope you're not implying that you are doing a job 'before" price negotiation. I know everyone does business a little differently but doing a job before settling on a price is like putting the cart before the horse (IMHO). What if you do the job and cannot settle on a price? May turn out to be a waste of your time.

As far as alerting neighbors, I have never had to do that.

I wear a safety vest that has "FAA Pilot...ect" on the back and have never had any problems. I did have a guy pull up one time to ask what I was working on/doing and I simply told him that I was hired to do real estate video of this property and he said, "cool" and drove on.

Great answer. I live an an area where I am about the only one doing it. So I do have that going for me.

Reactions: GFields
@Dudek1090 Thank you. I loved your video. Great job!

@UpLift Aerial I use One Drive. I create a sharred folder with a date range. If the client has problems with One Drive, I use my personal server and provide a download link .If I don't do that, I use "We transfer".

Do you guys make the customer sign anything? Do you log stuff? Sorry for having all these questions, im new to the business part of the drone hobby lol.

Posted the following on Commercial Drone Pilots but I'll repost it here aswell.

So I understand it is hard for you folks to say what to price it at, but does anyone have any tips on how to price them? Say a 3-5 min edited video with no music, maybe a few images. Would you charge by the time it takes, or by the project individually ($$ for up to 5 min edited video, $$ per still images)? I have an idea of what I would charge for aerial stills printed and framed, but not digital images and edited videos.

Also, anyone have any tips for doing the actual job itself? Things to make sure I do, things to look out for?

Thanks for all the replies! I have to contact them tonight to discuss what they want and pricing.

Do you "watermark" your work?

I don’t because they are paying for
@Dudek1090 Thank you. I loved your video. Great job!

@UpLift Aerial I use One Drive. I create a sharred folder with a date range. If the client has problems with One Drive, I use my personal server and provide a download link .If I don't do that, I use "We transfer".

Appreciate it. It’s nice to know what others think!

Even tho it's your work? Just thought it kinda advertises you too.

I don’t know the best answer. Wife water marks her wedding photos or event phots and release a preview a week before so people post and share it. The. Takes them off when she gives final product.
As for my self this is a second hobby that makes me money and I can’t currently take anything else on. Next year I’m going to push for more work but to full as is.

Reactions: UpLift Aerial

I use phantom 4v2 and DJI osmo orginal and edit on Final Cut Pro. As for price I have one set of clients that 400. (Always have a minimum drive of hour and most of the time farther.) Other price is for a local company is 300, with about 4-8 aerial and my for my newest company that I have been trying to get is 300 but I have to include photos both inside and out also drone photos as well of full video production.

But to answer your answer your question I started off doing just drone 50$ only photos and video one battery worth no editing video. If I were starting again I would say (this is for drone video and arial photos only not figuring we doing interior) the first 5 jobs I will give a discount offer of 100 dollars (that will give you time to practice and some improving time) then starting around 150 after that. Discount good 6 months.

Last thing I have found that after the video is all saved finished it’s a holly nightmare getting these people the video, them up loading, and them pushing and using it as advertisement.

As for Neighbors, if the come out side smile and wave say hi and keep working, dress nice your on the job. If the ask I just tell them I’m making a video to help promote the house for selling. To date I only had one person who was an ***.

I’m not sure what Canada laws are so I can’t say what I do is right with Neighbors.
Great video

I think what you can charge is partly dependent upon the price of the house. I charge $125 for outside aerials which includes up to a 60 second video... I’m in PA and I find the real estate agents to be the ones paying for my service. I use Dropbox to transfer files. I try to give 10-12 outside pics, equally divided between close and far away. Far away (high) to show neighborhood etc.

Inside photos and 360 video tour extra.

I watermark my work and I only "sell" the client the rights for whatever they hired me for. I can't tell you how many times I've sold the same images... over and over and over again.

Our prices sound similar, I would like to charge more but had realtors bulk at anything above the $125 for outside aerials. So for now I say I’m including the video free and I provide them a URL to link on their listing. Eventually I hope to be able to charge more after they find it helps to sell the property. Time will tell.

Nice video

Hello, I have been getting paid for drone pics and videos for about a year now and all of your questions are great. I went to Home - DJI Aerial Photography Academy and they literally teach you everything.....great course. Here is my pricing and site.....the shoots take about 30 mins, its the editing as Im sure you know that takes time. Happy to answer any questions and Ive got tons of forms etc. if you need. I dont do the flash drive anymore I just send them a drop box link or email them if the files are small enough...or one note or google drive. Best of luck and nice work on your 1st job!

1569943096339.png

Very nice job! I’m a professional in the TV business and I know what it takes to make a video like that. $400 is a bargain, but it’s what the market will pay.

I charge $150. for the first hour and $35. for every 1/4 hour after that. The clock starts when I leave the office until I return. This will include a video or stills 360 photo is an extra $50. realtor owns all copies and rights.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl