First crash and was a total loss

Reaction score
As I have used the search feature I am sure I have found the why...but will get the data as others have linked it and will get that figured out as well.

I was 2 minutes into a flight and climbed straight up to about 150 feet and was getting my bearings for a flight over a house that burned down a 1/8 mile from me. It was a cloudy overcast day and I did NOT calibrate compass first mistake. Drone was out of site and I had clear picture..I was about to head over to my destination when screen went black and into ATTI mode. My screen went black and it continued to say atti mode. I can not tell you if screen came back as I was anxiously looking for it and until I heard it screaming towards ground about 150 yards away from me was first sight of it. I tried to quickly recover but it happend in a split second.

I was reading this happens from time to time and you should always have line of site to fly it but how can you do that when we frequently fly out of site?

Other question is it worth trying to find another "drone only" or just buy another set up?
54310387166__7E9ED0A6-37F2-45DB-823F-121DC1BB46D2.JPG

Yeah, get the data from your mobile device.

Instructions are on the link.
DJI Flight Log Viewer

Ouch, that really sucks.

Rod

Reactions: Dany3R9
As I have used the search feature I am sure I have found the why...but will get the data as others have linked it and will get that figured out as well.
If you have already linked your data, might I ask why you started another thread for this? And just for the sake of saying it. Not calibrating the compass was not a mistake. You rarely ever have to do that.

If you have already linked your data, might I ask why you started another thread for this? And just for the sake of saying it. Not calibrating the compass was not a mistake. You rarely ever have to do that.
I have not linked the data.. I just found how to do it on other threads. This is the ONLY thread I have started. Also what say you on other questions in OP? this is why I started thread.

Also what say you on other questions in OP? this is why I started thread.
You were not very clear in your statement about that data. We can give you some answers when we get the data to look at. My first guess and its only a guess is that there was a compass error, yaw error and or speed error someplace. Cant tell you anything posititively until we see the data.

When you upload the log file ( Per the link that @RodPad posted above), be sure and place a link back here to that. Otherwise we can't download the proper file.

Reactions: Himark
I agree that his first post was confusing, he still in Shock. :eek:
I looked at his post history this was second thread on this forum, I had to assume he hadn't uploaded his log. :rolleyes:

@Himark
Welcome to the Forum!

it looks pretty bad, I would look for a second hand unit.
Your turn, ;)

Rod

Reactions: Himark and BigAl07
@Himark Just to give you a heads up on one thing. I am taking a guess that this data will not show us anything. I say this because you mentioned the fact that your screen went black, which I can only assume means you lost FPV, which in turn means you also lost data transmission. It is still worth a look though, there could be pre data loss factors that may be present. That is your call.

I for one stay within VLOS as per FAA recommendations
I think the OP was referring to trees and such not distance as he was only out 600ft give or take. Yes, granted that is "splitting hairs" for VLOS, but I believe that was the intended meaning.

Ouch, sorry for your loss :(

Himark,

Sorry to hear about your lost. We all can learn from events like this. Please post the data requested. Believe it or not, this is a very friendly forum. Don't get turned off. It will take you a little time to learn the ropes. Just don't get "hung" by them. Welcome.

"We frequently fly out of site" ... from that point on you are also likely to frequently have problems and crashes. VLOS, IMO, means you can see your drone AND it's orientation so that, if needed, you can rapidly evade a manned aircraft. VLOS, IMO, does not mean your can see clearly ALL airspace around your drone. If you choose to interpret the VLOS guideline liberally, things can happen.

Unfortunately, your flying "out of sight" can limit our hobby choices of where we want to fly. A very nice flying area near me had a drone pilot fly over some trees to watch a wedding. He lost control and the drone nearly caused bodily injury. Now that location has NO DRONES posted everywhere. The area has nice subject matter ... valleys, multiple water falls, mountains, rock formations ... a drone photographers dream ended in a nightmare due to a pilot who was "above rules".

"Other question is it worth trying to find another "drone only" or just buy another set up?"

Repair this one. New body shell, few new parts of gimbal, new OMFD board cover.

I was 2 minutes into a flight and climbed straight up to about 150 feet and was getting my bearings for a flight over a house that burned down a 1/8 mile from me. It was a cloudy overcast day and I did NOT calibrate compass first mistake. Drone was out of site and I had clear picture..I was about to head over to my destination when screen went black and into ATTI mode. My screen went black and it continued to say atti mode. I can not tell you if screen came back as I was anxiously looking for it and until I heard it screaming towards ground about 150 yards away from me was first sight of it. I tried to quickly recover but it happend in a split second.

I was reading this happens from time to time and you should always have line of site to fly it but how can you do that when we frequently fly out of site?

Other question is it worth trying to find another "drone only" or just buy another set up?View attachment 96485
If your compass hasn't been calibrated it might not know the direction to find Home in RTH even though it will know the GPS address of Home, so that was a possible contributing factor.
VLOS is essential in the UK. If you want to go round the back of a building you should pause the flight and move yourself to where you can see the drone before you continue around it. If the lack of VLOS is brief because of the flight speed and the small size of the object that you are flying behind, you might get away with it but you must accept the risk and responsibility with that decision. Spotters might be an option too though.
Personally, I think it's an example of where FPV could be used to improve safety, but that's definitely not the relevant Authority's view without a spotter.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
@Himark Just to give you a heads up on one thing. I am taking a guess that this data will not show us anything. I say this because you mentioned the fact that your screen went black, which I can only assume means you lost FPV, which in turn means you also lost data transmission. It is still worth a look though, there could be pre data loss factors that may be present. That is your call.
I could be wrong but I thought the signal for transmitting video back to the phone is on a separate wave length to recording flight and controlling the drone (such as lose signal on the pic but can manually trigger RTH from the remote)

If your compass hasn't been calibrated it might not know the direction to find Home in RTH even though it will know the GPS address of Home, so that was a possible contributing factor.
If the compass is out of calibration, you can't fly straight and you would get into trouble within a few feet of launching.
But the compass does not lose calibration and recalibration should never be necessary under normal circumstances.

If you want some help, you will need to supply flight data.
Without data, no-one has any idea what happened to your Phantom.

I could be wrong but I thought the signal for transmitting video back to the phone is on a separate wave length to recording flight and controlling the drone
This depends on which AC you are flying. Some are dual band, some single band.

Just an update..I have not been able to get the data as we sent our mac computer the the repair store as it would not boot up. Hoping to have it back soon so can get that data. One question I have is....Is there any salvage I can use from the craft?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31