First complaint in 4 years of flying!

Reaction score
Wow. Never happened before. Our local ham club put on its first hamfest this last weekend. I took to the sky to get video and pictures of it for our website. I shared the links to all in the ham club mail list - as result of request of a fellow who could not make it and our prez who wanted them...

So I get this email reply from one dude:
--------------------------------
Mike,

You really should dub my location out since I flipped off your **** drone most of the time it was filming. You did not have my permission to photograph or film me.

ignavom fucos pecus ad mortem!

Chris, USAF Veteran
VA Radio Club Trustee

----------------------------------------

Perhaps I should have continued the nonsense of PC? But rather I replied thus:
-----------------------------------

Chris,

First, thank you for your reply!

Second, thank you very much for your service to our country!!!!

Third, as I was close to becoming a Catholic priest, I took a lot of Latin; but unfortunately, I still cannot decode your combination of Latin words, other than to maybe translate it to " the drones, a lazy herd, from the hives." If you meant to offer a different meaning, please be direct and say so in English. Many of us have had enough with PC ("political correctness") and now say "JUST SAY IT."

Fourth, if you want to be seen on a public video "flipping off" that is out of my control. And unfortunately for you, your "flip off" is non distinguishable as the drone camera has no zoom capability, and if you ARE on it, you are no larger than a small piss ant.

Fifth, do you REALLY believe that being in public means no one is ALLOWED to take a picture of you? Please talk to a lawyer, or simply google it, before you go down that path sir.

Lastly, again, thank you very much for your service to my country! It is vets like yourself sir who have preserved what little freedom we continue to enjoy.
--------------------------

Anyone think I should have been more PC?

That'll chap his [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] to no end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: yorlik
Wow. Never happened before. Our local ham club put on its first hamfest this last weekend. I took to the sky to get video and pictures of it for our website. I shared the links to all in the ham club mail list - as result of request of a fellow who could not make it and our prez who wanted them...

So I get this email reply from one dude:
--------------------------------
Mike,

You really should dub my location out since I flipped off your **** drone most of the time it was filming. You did not have my permission to photograph or film me.

ignavom fucos pecus ad mortem!

Chris, USAF Veteran
VA Radio Club Trustee

----------------------------------------

Perhaps I should have continued the nonsense of PC? But rather I replied thus:
-----------------------------------

Chris,

First, thank you for your reply!

Second, thank you very much for your service to our country!!!!

Third, as I was close to becoming a Catholic priest, I took a lot of Latin; but unfortunately, I still cannot decode your combination of Latin words, other than to maybe translate it to " the drones, a lazy herd, from the hives." If you meant to offer a different meaning, please be direct and say so in English. Many of us have had enough with PC ("political correctness") and now say "JUST SAY IT."

Fourth, if you want to be seen on a public video "flipping off" that is out of my control. And unfortunately for you, your "flip off" is non distinguishable as the drone camera has no zoom capability, and if you ARE on it, you are no larger than a small piss ant.

Fifth, do you REALLY believe that being in public means no one is ALLOWED to take a picture of you? Please talk to a lawyer, or simply google it, before you go down that path sir.

Lastly, again, thank you very much for your service to my country! It is vets like yourself sir who have preserved what little freedom we continue to enjoy.
--------------------------

Anyone think I should have been more PC?

Yorlik,

I'm a newbie to the site. After finally getting my first drone airborne after 2 days of trying this and that I decided to stroll through the site. I came across this video you posted and the response you had to the disgruntled vet. All I have to say to your response is a "BIG" thumbs up. Very well said, I loved it!! Keep on filming.... :)

Reactions: yorlik and BigAl07
Amazing how some people will get a burr up their bu##. And ignorant to think that no one can take their photo in public. Maybe being former Air Force he equates DJI Phantoms with military spy drones. Although you might have pointed out that his service to our country helps protect our freedom to fly drones!

He appears to be the one on the left sitting in the back of a red car:

upload_2017-7-9_18-45-29.png

Some people just need something to [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] about and have nothing better to do with their time....it's unfortunate that they waste their precious time on earth being so negative. I say, FILM AWAY!

Come on gang.... let's post our thoughts and words without trying to blow up the Language Filter on the forum. We're better than that.

Lol love it mate. Great reply. And please do share the response. Do you want me to Photoshop that pic of him and put a sheep between he's legs for you to email it to him and say " ahhh now I know why you didn't want me to film you, you dirty sheep shagger" lol

Thanks Neon but I think I will pass.

I spent the whole time next to him - He was not a very talkative or smiley guy. I think he is probably in our ham club. Guess we can't like everyone.

I am the black Ford truck setup next to him. I came away with a bit of sunburn and an extra $ 180.00. Sold one radio for $ 60, my old cheap trainer drone for $30, and rest junk, I mean old stuff others liked, and disposed of a couple boxes worth of capacitors, resistors, switches for free.

No reply from him, just a few from others thanking me for the video & pictures of the event.

Reactions: Neon Euc
That's the spirit mate. Can't get on with everyone. Seems like you mostly had a successful day. Don't let him out you off doing it again on the next meet up

I am the black Ford truck setup next to him. I came away with a bit of sunburn and an extra $ 180.00. Sold one radio for $ 60, my old cheap trainer drone for $30, and rest junk, I mean old stuff others liked, and disposed of a couple boxes worth of capacitors, resistors, switches for free.

Weird response from a ham. I don't know an amateur radio operator that isn't enticed by every new technical gadget. And drones would sure fit the bill. 73's!

Reactions: 2E0HKC
I find the whole thanks for your service bit a little lame considering the rest of the content, even if it was genuine. It's like he was fishing for some kind of recognition or his vet status gives some extra weight to his words. The "look at me, I'm a vet!" guys are super annoying to me. I would have ignored that altogether.

Jofus
USMC vet :tonguewink:

Reactions: ArmyVet
I find the whole thanks for your service bit a little lame considering the rest of the content, even if it was genuine. It's like he was fishing for some kind of recognition or his vet status gives some extra weight to his words. The "look at me, I'm a vet!" guys are super annoying to me. I would have ignored that altogether.

Jofus
USMC vet :tonguewink:

I can't agree with you more about the vet label. As a vet, I find it offensive when salespeople use their vet status as a sales pitch. I think the OP's use in this case was sort of a poke at the complainant's use of the vet label in the original letter.

Nice... about 4 days ago I was just flying around my neighborhood,( I live out in the county, not in the city) I have spoken to most of my neighbors so I have permission from most to fly over their property. There's 2 horse farms near me , and I have a large Park that's on my side of the farms. I like to fly around the park because of the different views and modes I can get/use. So I fly around for about 15 minutes, 5 of it in sport mode with my P4P+, just having fun, around 200-300 ft but dropping down in the park to 100-80 ft. I finished, oh and im standing in the front yard, like normal, so I'm not hiding. I go inside to put everything away. I come back out because I hear a 4 wheeler pulling in my driveway. The owner of 1 of the horse farms comes blazing towards me yelling how I'm scaring his horses and if I do it again he will shoot it down and call the sheriff. ( im paraphrasing this and keeping it clean.lol) I just say that would be a costly mistake and you would end up with a criminal charges and owe me about 2000.00. Because I'm not braking any laws. I love to fly, I just like you get tired of people acting stupid. The common stereotype of the drone world is we are either peeping Tom's in the sky or a terrorist by invading people's lives. I just love the views of world I can get and flying is fun to me. I applaud you for being respectful sir!!! Fly on

Far nicer than I would have been. I am tired of these paranoid antidrone morons.

My response would have been similar to this:

You are in a public place with no expectation of privacy and I am neither filming you as a subject, nor for profit. I do not need your permission, nor do I care if you like it or not. I will film you wherever and whenever I please if you are in public. If you don't want to be seen, don't go in public, or perhaps where a bag over your head, you ugly b.....d, or better yet, a plastic bag with a rubber band around the bottom. Are you a paranoid idiot about airplanes, helicopters, or satellites too? Because they can see you, the satellites are watching, don't look up. What about cars driving by, or people? Much to their regret they can see your ugly a.. too, go hide indoors and never come out if you don't want to be seen, spare the rest of us from having to look at you.

F off and go play in traffic.

Hey, no one accuses me of being PC.

What were you flying anyway? I saw some heavy fisheye so that tells me GoPro, so Phantom 1 or 2?

Last edited:
Many years ago, I was managing the installation of Microwave Antenna on the roof of a high rise building. We chartered an old helicopter. I invited the local TV station and they came to film it.

One of the contractors on the ground literally "flipped out" when the cameras came on. Hiding his face and screaming as he ran off to never be seen again..............hahah

Moral of the story..........Who knows for sure..........Wanted in 4 states? Shy? Thought we were stealing his soul........???

Many years ago, I was managing the installation of Microwave Antenna on the roof of a high rise building. We chartered an old helicopter. I invited the local TV station and they came to film it.

One of the contractors on the ground literally "flipped out" when the cameras came on. Hiding his face and screaming as he ran off to never be seen again..............hahah

Moral of the story..........Who knows for sure..........Wanted in 4 states? Shy? Thought we were stealing his soul........???

Ex-wife looking for child support!!! :D

The wife and I were walking around a park trail and I had the P4P up in the air and nikon FF with 70-200. I was talking pics of the pond and us walking and trying different modes then another couple was walking by and the man says "I could take offense to that drones camera looking at me" I said well would you take offense to the nikon (that was hanging over my shoulder) if it was pointed in your direction?
That made him think I little then I showed him the screen. He commented on how little we looked standing there and said if he didn't know it was him in the frame he wouldn't know who it was. Then he said "ok maybe that nikon would offend me more" some people just aren't gonna be happy.
But I do try to educate folks when opportunity presents itself. I only had my drone for a week and thought, wow people do trip out over these things ...lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl