Firmware Updates

Reaction score
In terms of firmware updates, to do or not to do.. I'm in I.T., (I know so is most all these days) most hardware I work with benefits from new firmware updates/changes. DJI seems to include a comprehensive changelog with their firmware and what I read, the newest seems logical and an improvement over the previous versions. I do notice that after firmware updates (Phantom) there are soft and at times hard resets performed to get the firmware to "stick". This interprets to ALL connections must be 100% with NO interference of any sort. During firmware update, 1 byte of missing data is a critical failure. Now, I'm not stating that any of us has made that mistake, however, in my own experience, 3 firmware updates completed per changelog and no failures. I would encourage reviewing changelogs and contacting DJI with questions in reference to these changes and how it may improve the attributes the aircraft.

I think that mostly people are "concerned" with the totaliltarian aspects of DJI's upgrade policy. That's what's concerning most people.
It your Andoid or iPhone said "update by Sept 1 or your phone will be bricked", then most people wouldn't care that the update made the phone better. Or not.
If it's a critical firmware recall and update, then why not say that?
But it's that Big Brother attitude of complete arrogance towards the customer base that is paying its wages that I feel a lot of people are "concerned" about.
Like buying a car from a dealer and then them saying that if you change its color, the car won't start.

I think that mostly people are "concerned" with the totaliltarian aspects of DJI's upgrade policy. That's what's concerning most people.
It your Andoid or iPhone said "update by Sept 1 or your phone will be bricked", then most people wouldn't care that the update made the phone better. Or not.
If it's a critical firmware recall and update, then why not say that?
But it's that Big Brother attitude of complete arrogance towards the customer base that is paying its wages that I feel a lot of people are "concerned" about.
Like buying a car from a dealer and then them saying that if you change its color, the car won't start.
You don't seem to understand the problem, DJI admits that the Spark has issues, they want to fix them, to do that you have to update. They probably have a choice, recall them or repair the firmware, it is much cheaper to fix than to recall.

Because DJI chooses to support local law, around the world, and attempt to aid in enforcing the laws of the land, you consider that underhanded and Big Brother. Well, I ask you this. You can read here most any day or look on youtube and find example of people breaking the law and flaunting that in front of everyone. So asking you to be good, well it isn't working. People are having near misses with aircraft, their drones are being lost because it is viewed as an inalienable right to go and do what they please.
Now before you jump me, I am not saying everyone is doing it, I am saying it is being flaunted, on line, everyday! What do you expect to happen, if this continues? Do you think that law enforcement, the FAA, DOD or the rest of the group, is going to just say, Oh well!.

Not to mention the fact that if DJI doesn't try to enforce the existing laws, that some lawyer will try to take them to court, to attempt to get money from them accusing them of not doing anything to stop this unlawful use of their product. Now maybe you think, that can't happen, they are not responsible. Well, if a car has an issue, something that causes an accident, they are responsible too. They will be sued and DJI would likely have to settle out of court to avoid serious expenses, that is how it is done a lot today.

So, if you are feeling the pinch of regulation, just think about all those Extreme Videos you voted to LIKE so much and the number of times that you might have stretched the rules a bit or flew when it was probably not a good idea.

If you want to consider yourselves pilots, then begin to act like one. Pilots follow rules, to avoid serious problems, air traffic issues and other such things that are everyday situations for a pilot. When told you go higher, you do, if told to go lower you do, whether you like it or not. You don't do stupid things that put the lives of passengers, plane or even yourself at risk. You don't fly where it is prohibited, you pay for all the inspections, medical certificates, landing fees, check rides, high gas prices and insurance. That is being a pilot, not just saying I do what I want, went I want and don't put any limitations on me.

I am not ranting, I am trying to make a point, one that is constantly lost. If YOU THINK OF YOURSELF AS A PILOT, then take the responsibility that comes with that title.:)

Actually you're preaching to the choir.
I've had my PP-ASEL since 2001 and have been flying since the 90's. And I have a 107 as well, and do this for a living.
I'm not talking about me.
I'm talking about the people who have bought something and expect to own it.
If you haven't noticed, people are crashing into others using cars.
If you had your way, all cars would be regulated... how?

:Legislated risklessness, no matter how or who does it, is a lost cause.

Think of abortion, or suicide. Long made "illegal". If someone is contemplating either, do you seriously argue that they will not do so "because it's illegal"?

Reactions: Gtarman52
Actually you're preaching to the choir.
I've had my PP-ASEL since 2001 and have been flying since the 90's. And I have a 107 as well, and do this for a living.
I'm not talking about me.
I'm talking about the people who have bought something and expect to own it.
If you haven't noticed, people are crashing into others using cars.
If you had your way, all cars would be regulated... how?

:Legislated risklessness, no matter how or who does it, is a lost cause.

Think of abortion, or suicide. Long made "illegal". If someone is contemplating either, do you seriously argue that they will not do so "because it's illegal"?
Why do you think there is this big push for Self Driving Cars? You might just think of that as CAR Regulation.
I said, that my comments were not about everyone, there are just those that do not care one bit about rules, regs and think they should be let be, don't regulate me.
For those who are PILOTs, have gone through training, flown for years, have respect for air traffic, this is meant to describe you.

Good points....
Short story: I did much research prior to selecting and purchasing a drone, ultimately it led me to the Phantom Pro Plus and here at this great forum. That said, the day it (Phantom) arrived, I began combing though the details and concerns of other drone owners, one thing really stood out in my mind. Altitudes allowed and achieved blew me away. I was absolutely shocked at the altitudes reached by these drones and other as well. Why didn't I see this before purchasing is a surprise to and I let it slip by me. I'm not complaining, I think its an opportunity for amazing videos and pics. I will admit, however, flying above 400' is amazing but t the same time uncomfortable for me individually. Not certain if I'll ever be comfortable at those altitudes. There so many FAA considered "Congested" and "uncongested" areas and variable's thereof. I DO NOT want my drone colliding with another aircraft. I am an avid boater, would like to record video of the beautiful lakes I boat on, but because there are Sea Planes parked and in flight, helicopter's that take off and land every hour, FAA considers this as "congested" so "safe" flight is under 200' feet. I may never have the opportunity to video record in that airspace.

Drifting off topic.. Unless I mis-read, most of the firmware changelogs are referencing improvements based on owners input and engineering aspect. I really don't see restrictions or further regulations in these firmware's changelogs. Please, am I missing something? I am new here and perhaps need to be up to speed on recent restrictions imposed by DJI.

Ah. Okay now we're talking.
Let's say that we are in fact in the age of self driving cars.

So now, let's suppose there there are two kinds of drivers. Those who, like pilots, have trained, taken exams, gone through verbal, practical and paper tests to determine whether or not they are fit people to become pilots, and those who haven't.
So.

If you buy/own a self-driving car, and you do not have one of those licenses, then agreed, it's best to let the car do the driving.

However, if you do actually have the license, then what? You trained for nothing? Or does the car check to see that your license is valid and current, and then give you control over the car you own and are trying to drive?

Or do you think that nobody should be able to drive their own cars, or ride their own horses?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen