Firmware Update Error

Reaction score
I just got my DJI Phantom 3 Pro, went through all of the videos, got everything charged up, and then started the Firmware Update process. I downloaded the file, copied it to the SD card, popped it back in the drone, and turned it on. The video wasn't so clear as to what the different beeps sound like and what they mean, but what happened was it was beeping like D-D-D-D...D-D-D-D, and they said it means it's "ready to update", then these other sounds started about every 2 minutes, it sounded like a "success" sound. Then the video said once the sound changes you have to manually turn it off and on. After hearing that success sound about 3 times, I figured it must be done and ready to restart. I turned it off and back on. The camera moved around, but no lights went on at all, the camera stabilized level, then this very loud and steady BEEP BEEP BEEP started, and it doesn't stop. No lights, just the annoying beep. I'm assuming this means it wasn't ready to restart. I took the SD card out, put it back in the computer, deleted everything off it, emptied the trash, put the firmware file back on, same thing. Loud annoying endless beep. Did this a few more times, took the battery out and put it back in, now I can't figure it out. DJI's 24/7 support hasn't helped this Saturday morning. Any help to get this working right is muchly appreciated!

You have to be sure that you extract the .bin file is extracted to the root directory of the SD Card and make sure that there are no other files in that directory on the SD Card.
Place the SD card in the P3. Make sure the controller is off. Power up the controller and it will automatically read the .bin file and do the update. If you see a red and green led on the front of the gimbal flashing that means that the file is running. It will probably finish in less than ten minutes, but give it a full 25 minutes to be sure-- regardless of the beeps-- and yes you will have to put up with the beeping. :) After the install, power down the copter, remove the SD card and put it in your computer. There will be a text file that you can open. If you open it, the file will read update successful. If it reads anything else, then it did not update properly.
There are several videos on you tube that walk you through the process step by step.
Good luck!

Once the update is done, remove the SD card and view the root folder. There is a result file. Read it. It should list a line that states, successful or in your case it will mention that the latest firmware is already installed.

If this is the case **** delete the update from the SD card ****

If you don't, each time you boot the P3 with the SD card it will try to update, realize that it's already done so and just keep beeping.

My first attempt to upgrade didn't complete correctly. Reloaded the bin file .. restart ..annoying lout continuous BEEPING. Had to put it on the patio and just let it run. It will eventually update and the loud beeping will stop. maybe 25 minutes.

Thanks for the quick replies! After the error beeps I did check that file, and it basically said Updating..... and that was it. I'm going to put the SD card in and let it beep as loud as it wants. Going to go walk the dog for 25 minutes then I'll come back and see what happened. Will keep you all posted. Thanks a ton! I think I just figured that the beeping was a bad sound and I just ended up turning it off each time, not actually thinking it was going to still update it with the beeping sound. Am I crazy to think that this is really not the optimal way to update this stuff!? They couldn't think of a better way instead of deciphering beeps? Or is there a specific reason they did it like this?

Thanks for the quick replies! After the error beeps I did check that file, and it basically said Updating..... and that was it. I'm going to put the SD card in and let it beep as loud as it wants. Going to go walk the dog for 25 minutes then I'll come back and see what happened. Will keep you all posted. Thanks a ton! I think I just figured that the beeping was a bad sound and I just ended up turning it off each time, not actually thinking it was going to still update it with the beeping sound. Am I crazy to think that this is really not the optimal way to update this stuff!? They couldn't think of a better way instead of deciphering beeps? Or is there a specific reason they did it like this?

It could be easier. just check the SD card and see if the update was a success

It works now! When I got back from the walk, the update was a success. Took it for a few flights yesterday, it was so much fun and I got some great shots. Thanks again for the help! This looks like it's a great community.

It works now! When I got back from the walk, the update was a success. Took it for a few flights yesterday, it was so much fun and I got some great shots. Thanks again for the help! This looks like it's a great community.
Cheers!!

I thought it was because I left my Gimble protector on when I was doing the update. Glad I didn't break anything. Going to make myself a checklist before I power this baby up again!

Reactions: sky reaper
Once the update is done, remove the SD card and view the root folder. There is a result file. Read it. It should list a line that states, successful or in your case it will mention that the latest firmware is already installed.

If this is the case **** delete the update from the SD card ****

If you don't, each time you boot the P3 with the SD card it will try to update, realize that it's already done so and just keep beeping.

You should not be turning on the P3 before you turn on the remote controller. If you turn on the P3 without turning on the controller, that's the signal to attempt an update.

And - I thought I read something from DJI that you need to leave the latest .bin update on the SD card - when you put in a new battery it will get its own update from that .vin file.

You should not be turning on the P3 before you turn on the remote controller. If you turn on the P3 without turning on the controller, that's the signal to attempt an update.
You should _NEVER_ have the props installed indoors when the Phantom is turned on unless you plan on flying indoors. Never, never, never!

[/quote]And - I thought I read something from DJI that you need to leave the latest .bin update on the SD card - when you put in a new battery it will get its own update from that .vin file.[/QUOTE]

If the firmware file is on the SD card when the P3 is turned on it will always automatically attempt to install the file. So if you want to fly, you'd need to delete the file. I do see in the pdf file that it mentions what you stated under updating the battery. I think that is misleading. The smart batteries are updated at the same time the P3 is updated. So, if you have more then one battery you'd need to leave the bin file on the SD card and do the same update procedure for each battery. But at the end of all that you'd need to delete the firmware from the SD or each time you turn the P3 on, it will keep trying to update.

Good point since extra batteries are being shipped now. Keep in mind, this only applies if the firmware updates the smart batteries.

Reactions: Jorovi
Tcope, thanks for the information/clarification. Nowhere in any of the manuals states that one should delete the bin file from the SD mini card after updating the aircraft, controller and a new battery!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20