Firmware 3.0 & Assistant Software 3.0 ??

Re: New Gimbal Functions?

macheung said:
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/4/6/6/4/4/8/a6661457-1-Screen%20Shot%202014-04-07%20at%2018.25.54.jpg

Someone posted a pic of a "gimbal" config page likely for the V3 firmware on RCGroups. I am especially intrigued by the FPV mode. What does it exactly do? Does it locks the gimbal in a fixed position so it can tilt and roll with the craft?

Have anyone tried this out?

If this work, I might bite the bullet and upgrade to V3.0, at least before they put out V3.1 out with a whole new bunch of other restrictions.

Is hard to pilot a ghimbal drone in FPV at long distances. So if check FPV on assistant the ghimbal will react more faster to changes. Else you risk to hit a tree because your ghimbal not allow your camera to see you the tree.

For this reason pro pilots use 2 camera, one for record and one for fpv.

Hello everyone,

I am new here and this is my first post. I was looking to this sight for several days now trying to see what the Phantom 2 offers. I must say that this forum is very good.

However, when I decided to make my order for the Phantom 2 I noticed this V3.0 firmware and I had to hold back to order the Phantom. Why? I do live on an island that measures 30Km(18m) by 10Km(6m). With the restriction DJI had done I cannot fly in half the island.

The strangest thing is that here we have two model flying clubs, both of them in the `restricted area' and we have no restriction to fly here.

I sent an email to DJI regarding my concerns.

Awaiting answers from DJI.

Regards

Joseph

Buy a used one that hasn't been upgraded. or one that hasn't been upgraded to new firmware... I may have some still and i'd have to check. What where you looking for and where do you live?

I have V1.08 and loaded up the V2 assist. It looks like it is trying to pull the V2 firmware and not the V3 one.
Haven't actually done it yet though.

Attachments

• Assist 2.png
    Assist 2.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 509
Upgraded to V2.0, not V3.0

I was able to upgrade V1.08 to V2.0 (not V3.0) using the V2.0 assist.
See pic...

Going for a test flight now.

Attachments

• Upgrade V1.08 to V2.png
    Upgrade V1.08 to V2.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 568
I guess one thing that many of you guys are not considering is the inevitable.

it is inevitable that governments around the world WILL start enforcing restrictions on BVR flights and height restrictions in and around restricted areas (airports, army bases etc)

it is inevitable that somewhere, some time, some schmuck will fly his drone into a jet engine on a commercial airliner either intentionally or accidentally.

it is irony that when that happens, it will probably be some schmuck with a Walkera or Blade and us DJI pilots who have already accepted these restrictions in v2.0 and eventually V3.0 will still feel the heat from the fall-out even though it could not have been us.

I have V2.0 on my P2 and I will not be upgrading until I absolutely have to. I'm delighted to finally have GS working but because I live 7.5km from the local airport I already have to get in my car and travel to use the GS. I don't want to have to do the same just to fly at above 120m.............. yet.

PetePerrim said:
I guess one thing that many of you guys are not considering is the inevitable.

it is inevitable that governments around the world WILL start enforcing restrictions on BVR flights and height restrictions in and around restricted areas (airports, army bases etc)

it is inevitable that somewhere, some time, some schmuck will fly his drone into a jet engine on a commercial airliner either intentionally or accidentally.

it is irony that when that happens, it will probably be some schmuck with a Walkera or Blade and us DJI pilots who have already accepted these restrictions in v2.0 and eventually V3.0 will still feel the heat from the fall-out even though it could not have been us.

I have V2.0 on my P2 and I will not be upgrading until I absolutely have to. I'm delighted to finally have GS working but because I live 7.5km from the local airport I already have to get in my car and travel to use the GS. I don't want to have to do the same just to fly at above 120m.............. yet.

I do accept that and as a full scale pilot myself, i would not be flying the craft in a way that endangers other aircraft or people.
However, i am against the idea that what we buy needs to be restricted to keep us safe. What if you car is locked to 60mph or whatever speed limit the nav system puts you on? To be free, we need the ability to made decisions for our behavior, including the freedom to make the wrong choice. Rules change across space and time, machine doesn't know difference.

macheung said:
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/4/6/6/4/4/8/a6661457-1-Screen%20Shot%202014-04-07%20at%2018.25.54.jpg

Someone posted a pic of a "gimbal" config page likely for the V3 firmware on RCGroups. I am especially intrigued by the FPV mode. What does it exactly do? Does it locks the gimbal in a fixed position so it can tilt and roll with the craft?

Have anyone tried this out?

If this work, I might bite the bullet and upgrade to V3.0, at least before they put out V3.1 out with a whole new bunch of other restrictions.
It will lock the gimbal forward yes. no tilting or staying in the same place ie when your phantom moves the camera moves with it

ianwood said:
macheung said:

It'd be nice if there was some documentation to go with this. I love the idea of changing the gain on the tilt but who knows if it works on the H3-2D.
I will test it out for you, So you want me to test out if i can limiti it tilting down and back up yeah ? also i have tested the speed of the movement too and it sort of makes a difference, i have the h3 2d will test now

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
ianwood said:
macheung said:

It'd be nice if there was some documentation to go with this. I love the idea of changing the gain on the tilt but who knows if it works on the H3-2D.
I will test it out for you, So you want me to test out if i can limiti it tilting down and back up yeah ? also i have tested the speed of the movement too and it sort of makes a difference, i have the h3 2d will test now

No effect looks like its locked as its grey.... no mention on how to get it to work i am all updated on everything to. Weird.... there no point in me asking DJI i been waiting two weeks to get reply about the bouncing effect not being eliminated as it resulted in my phantom wiping out the blades .... they really are a joke hope this helped any way, I tried changing the values and hitting enter nothing even power cycled nothing, even though the changes remain in the software after restart they do nothing to the gimbal

Attachments

• gimbal control.jpg
    gimbal control.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 487
Re: Firmware 3.0 & Assistant Software 3.0 ??

ianwood said:
Wind_Shear said:
The circle around the airport near me covers almost every place i fly on a regular basis, from my house to the beach and a variety of places in between.

So every location you have been flying is within 1.5 miles of a significant airport? With a nickname like that, I would assume don't just fly Phantoms.

The airport in question is 2 miles from the coast and 3 miles due south from my house with 90 & 270 approaches used almost exclusively by commercial airliners and high end private jets, both of which are usually at least 1000' AGL by the time they are 1 mile off the tarmac.

In other words, no, I haven't been flying within "1.5 miles of a significant airport," but even if I had, I would have posed absolutely no risk of crossing paths with anything coming or going from there.

Also no, I'm not an aircraft pilot, but I've spent lots of time in the copilot seat of a twin engine prop plane going back and forth from a certain set of islands and couldn't help but learn a few terms in the process.

macheung said:
I do accept that and as a full scale pilot myself, i would not be flying the craft in a way that endangers other aircraft or people.
However, i am against the idea that what we buy needs to be restricted to keep us safe. What if you car is locked to 60mph or whatever speed limit the nav system puts you on? To be free, we need the ability to made decisions for our behavior, including the freedom to make the wrong choice. Rules change across space and time, machine doesn't know difference.

I disagree there. I fly a drone, a light aircraft and I drive a car. To fly a light aircraft or drive I am required to go through training, pass a competence test and get a license. If I try to do either activity without a license then I am breaking the law, and that law is very much enforced. But, anyone can buy a drone and be airborne in the time it takes to charge a battery with no training whatsoever and with no enforced licensing. That puts them in a whole different class to flying and driving, and if restrictions are required to prevent serious accidents then I have no problem with it.

I don't hear anyone complaining about the fence around an airport that prevents you from getting in there illegally. By some of the logic posted here we should all just be told that you are not allowed to enter the airport grounds and be left to our own good conscience to obey that law. Good luck with that.

If you are 3 miles out, you aren't in the no fly area. You are under the cone and height restricted. At 3 miles, you probably have 200ft or more. Not ideal but you're not grounded either. As for approaches, there would be no easy way to model restrictions around them and they tend to change.

d4ddyo said:
Buy a used one that hasn't been upgraded. or one that hasn't been upgraded to new firmware... I may have some still and i'd have to check. What where you looking for and where do you live?

d4ddyo,

I cannot compose or reply PM. So, my concerns are that if there is features in a new firmware that it is a must to update, then I will still be stuck with these restrictions. So buying a Phantom with an `old' firmware is a temporary fix. I asked DJI what are their future plans regarding the matter. The only answer I got till now is:-

"I will forward your suggestion to our R&D department. You may let the phantom stay at its older firmware version at present."

For me, at this moment it is not a suitable answer.

Regards

Joseph

well if that is the case. The real reason for the fail safe is for the protection for the company. They don't care about you... they care about their profits and losses. They are protecting their assets with the growing concerns from the public and the big governments getting pressure to put in place safeguards. You are unfortunately in the bottom percentages that have this unique issue.

This won't change. If you are in a class 1 or 2 zone... oh well. You're choices are: use a phantom with previous firmware 0r use a competitors brand that doesn't have the safeguards. There's plenty out there that's not DJ

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
No effect looks like its locked as its grey.... no mention on how to get it to work i am all updated on everything to. Weird.... there no point in me asking DJI i been waiting two weeks to get reply about the bouncing effect not being eliminated as it resulted in my phantom wiping out the blades .... they really are a joke hope this helped any way, I tried changing the values and hitting enter nothing even power cycled nothing, even though the changes remain in the software after restart they do nothing to the gimbal

That's too bad. It definitely works on the H3-3D.

Dammit, I hooked mine up last night and completed the update. What have I done! My phantom is all over the place while in GPS at a hover. I should have known better.

Everything with mine is good as far as the settings in the assistant. No calibration needed as said by the software. I'm kind of scared to play with anything as I don't want to jinx anything. Should have never hooked it up to the computer as the guy who I bought it from said he had it perfect. Probably was running the 1.8 as I've done two updates.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic