Firmware 3.0 & Assistant Software 3.0 ??

I just looked at the DJI downloads and 1.8v is gone. I think they are pushing for this to go and then there is no way to go back. I haven't upgraded yet and don't plan to. if anything I will keep mine for long distance flying and buy another for put PUT PUT duty.

Re: Firmware 3.0 & Assistant Software 3.0 ??

Just a few thoughts on the implications of this latest update...

DJI seem to be carving a name for themselves in the ambiguity stakes.

DJI flight restriction 'Categories' are not the same as The flight restriction categories defined by the CAA (UK). The CAA ANO is what we are bound to by law not DJI. You can still fall foul of the CAA and be restricted by the DJI Fly Safe.

DJI maps do not show all restricted flight Zones only airports. No Military no-fly zones are shown - at least where I live.

The legally defined restricted areas are rectangular in shape not circular as DJI have defined. Military no-fly zones can be any shape.

I'm just sharing this so we see these latest updates in context of the wider responsibility of flying safely within the law.

There is also a danger in not upgrading to the latest firmware eventually as there may be other 'fixes' in there for other important issues e.g. compass fix etc.

Restricted air space maps can be easily viewed by getting this app: search for 'UK airspaceavoid for pilots'. Available from Google Play and the Apple store. There may be a similar app for the US - not sure.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

magick said:
Fink said:
:shock:

These are the reasons I don't upgrade my firmware unless I'm having issues. I'm still on 1.8 and, with my fingers crossed, everything is working perfectly well.

Can't wait to see what others have to say...

i-P87pMzB-M.gif

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

somebody in DJI must be drunk. press wrong button to live the firmware.

2.0 autolanding better (not bouncing like a ball) but I been reading post that some pilots around the world having issue with 2.0.
mines bounced and crashed after the update waiting over a week for dji to get back to me as they have passed it onto china im in Europe i have told them that was the last of my propellers that it destroyed in the wipe out as they have not fixed the bounce effect and still over a week no further getting replacements for it this and dji are a joke

I did not update to 3.0.

I am in aviation, so I looked at the restricted airports list in detail. In looking at the list of resticted Category A and Category B airports, the one thing that popped out was the Category B airports (in the US). Included in the category B airports are all airports with an "international " name. There are several airports in the US that are small, but the airport authority (don't like that word) has adopted the name "international" to get special foreign trade zone benefits, and to be able to compete with larger legtimate international airports. Typically, these smaller airports don't get any international flights, even though their airport name includes "international" So what DJI has done is arbitrarily listed all airports that has the word "international" in them.

The Category B list has a restricted fly zone area radius of 0.6 miles. Seems small, but in a small town like where I live, that amount is noteworthy. It cuts out large areas of residential and commercial development, as well as undelveloped lands suitable for flying UAv's such as the Phantom. And the airport here has the word "international" in it, so it is included in the Category B list.

Either a government or governments are bring pressure to bear on DJI, or some buckaroo at DJI came up with this idea during a brain storm session and DJI did a 'knee jerk' reaction without giving it much thought. Like cattle in the slaughterhouse corral, the public just follows along aimlessly.

automatic landing on non safe zone don't look pretty for me, means landing on a road or on water or any place you don't want, i'm sticky with 2.0 firmware.

KassioLM said:
automatic landing on non safe zone don't look pretty for me, means landing on a road or on water or any place you don't want, i'm sticky with 2.0 firmware.

In the manual it says it will not enter in non-authorized zone (class A within 8km, class B only 1 or 2km). If it detects it's inside it will land (you could enter on atti or manual mode and switch to GPS). I don't think this would be an issue for most people, these shouldn't be flown around airfields anyway. Imagine a phantom being sucked in a jet engine... no more drone flying for anybody :?

scratch009 said:
KassioLM said:

In the manual it says it will not enter in non-authorized zone (class A within 8km, class B only 1 or 2km). If it detects it's inside it will land (you could enter on atti or manual mode and switch to GPS). I don't think this would be an issue for most people, these shouldn't be flown around airfields anyway. Imagine a phantom being sucked in a jet engine... no more drone flying for anybody :?

yes i agree with you but not be simpler failsafe enter and exit the area if you have enter by mistake anyway with the failsafe to 20mts if an aircraft is at that altitude I'd better start running!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am at Photoshop World in Atlanta,Ga this week . There is a workshop today using DJI products and GoPro cameras . I will question DJI on the firmware upgrades and issues. I am sure I will have a lot more questions for them to .

Staying on 1.8 for as long as possible!

scratch009 said:
...I don't think this would be an issue for most people, these shouldn't be flown around airfields anyway. Imagine a phantom being sucked in a jet engine... no more drone flying for anybody

Airport pattern alitudes for General Aviation airports is typically 1000' AGL (above ground level) and 1,500' AGL for commercial aircraft. How many are flying their Phantoms at that altitude? Next to none I suspect. If one lives, does commercial UAV work, or flys at 0.6 miles from the airport, it is a big issue. And who would be dumb enough to fly the UAV at the "short final approach area of a runway anyway. The statement of "sucked into jet engines" is a bit of an exaggeration.

IrishSights said:
Just a few thoughts on the implications of this latest update...

DJI seem to be carving a name for themselves in the ambiguity stakes.

DJI flight restriction 'Categories' are not the same as The flight restriction categories defined by the CAA (UK). The CAA ANO is what we are bound to by law not DJI. You can still fall foul of the CAA and be restricted by the DJI Fly Safe.

DJI maps do not show all restricted flight Zones only airports. No Military no-fly zones are shown - at least where I live.

The legally defined restricted areas are rectangular in shape not circular as DJI have defined. Military no-fly zones can be any shape.

I'm just sharing this so we see these latest updates in context of the wider responsibility of flying safely within the law.

There is also a danger in not upgrading to the latest firmware eventually as there may be other 'fixes' in there for other important issues e.g. compass fix etc.

Here are two thoughts I will add that hopefully add some further perspective. Maintaining accuracy with local rules on a global basis would be a logistical challenge and a big undertaking. As well, accurately depicting controlled airspace near airports would be a technical challenge as a large number of polylines would be needed and to geofence that shape would require more real-time number crunching than the Naza can handle. Instead what DJI did was a shotgun approach. One set of rules for class B airports and another for class C airports. In some cases, it's too big and in others, it's too small. But I see why they did it this way.

For everyone, seems some people think the entire 5 miles of the category A is a no fly zone. 1.5 miles is no fly and then there is a hard ceiling of 35ft at 1.5 miles rising evenly up to 400ft at 5 miles. So you can fly much closer than you think just not very high. In a number of cases, if anyone would bother to look at sectionals, you will probably find there is class B airspace in that area. What DJI has done is to mimic the way controlled airspace works. Albeit, not very accurately in some cases.

Just so you know, even when you're in a real plane, you cannot fly into class B without filing a flight plan and communicating with the local TRACON so that they may track you.

IrishSights said:
Restricted air space maps can be easily viewed by getting this app: search for 'UK airspaceavoid for pilots'. Available from Google Play and the Apple store. There may be a similar app for the US - not sure.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Thanks for that link. :D

ianwood said:
...Instead what DJI did was a shotgun approach. One set of rules for class B airports and another for class C airports. In some cases, it's too big and in others, it's too small. But I see why they did it this way...
I concur with what you are saying. However, their list also includes Class D airports as well. Any airport that has "international" in their name. That is getting down to some smaller facilities where the airport is located adjacent to residential and commercial development, as well as undeveloped land suitable for UAV flying. Those that say just stay away from airports obviously have plenty of distance places to go to fly.

It may be government intervention in the making. The next update required could be, time of day flight restrictions, or days per week, or can't fly near a church on Sunday, or within 1,000 feet of schools for fear of an attack. General aviation is already heavily restricted in a lot of countries. Are UAV's at 50' or 100' AGL next?

The circle around the airport near me covers almost every place i fly on a regular basis, from my house to the beach and a variety of places in between.

I'm just happy the H3-3D gimbal update was included with 2.0 and that I luckily happened to update my software & firmware on Saturday, before DJI decided to jam this horrible idea down our throats. :x

My P2NV will remain on firmware 2.0 until they come up with a better flight restriction system. :roll:

Is there a way to downgrade back to V2 from V3 somehow?
We want to the promised GS functions but not the restrictions, not necessary because they are bad per say, but because the added complexity would no question increase the failure risks. If we cannot, I would forever stay on V1.08

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic