Finding It Impossible to comply with FAA Hobby Regulation

Reaction score
I'm finding it impossible to achieve FAA regulation compliance relevant to notifying airports of a future drone flight. The FAA b4Ufly app shows 3 unpaved airports at 3 to 4 miles out. I can not find a way to contact them. Through AIRNAV I was able to find one phone number which is no longer in service. The other two do not even list a phone number and in one case an exact address is not listed. All are listed as unattended. Recently sent an email to FAA requesting help on this issue with no response as of yet. I'm relatively new to this amazing hobby, what am I missing ? Doesn't the FAA require a contact number for these private one plane airports.

I'm finding it impossible to achieve FAA regulation compliance relevant to notifying airports of a future drone flight. The FAA b4Ufly app shows 3 unpaved airports at 3 to 4 miles out. I can not find a way to contact them. Through AIRNAV I was able to find one phone number which is no longer in service. The other two do not even list a phone number and in one case an exact address is not listed. All are listed as unattended. Recently sent an email to FAA requesting help on this issue with no response as of yet. I'm relatively new to this amazing hobby, what am I missing ? Doesn't the FAA require a contact number for these private one plane airports.

If you make a reasonable effort to contact them then you will have satisfied the requirement. If contact details are not available then document it and then fly.

+1 for documenting trying and failing to contact private airports and then go flying. Same goes with notifying helicopter pads at hospitals.

Is the FAA still regulating hobby unmanned aircraft?

Is the FAA still regulating hobby unmanned aircraft?
They have and will always regulate hobby aircraft. They just can't impose NEW rules (at least right now) upon hobby aircraft.

The ONLY thing that is in limbo is Hobby Aircraft Registration requirements. That is it.

Reactions: N017RW
Thanks!

So is flying over people part of "community based" regs?

Thanks!

Right. The only one explicitly listed is the airport requirement.

Subpart E—Special Rule for Model Aircraft
Source: Docket FAA-2015-0150, Amdt. 101-9, 81 FR 42208, June 28, 2016, unless otherwise noted.

§101.41 Applicability.
This subpart prescribes rules governing the operation of a model aircraft (or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft) that meets all of the following conditions as set forth in section 336 of Public Law 112-95:

(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.

§101.43 Endangering the safety of the National Airspace System.
No person may operate model aircraft so as to endanger the safety of the national airspace system.

Reactions: JoeG698 and BigAl07
Thanks!

Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly
What are the safety guidelines for sUAS recreational users?
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Contact the airport and control tower before flying within five miles of an airport or heliport. (Read about best practices here)
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the sUAS.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property.
  • Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission (see AMA’s privacy policy).
Users of commercial and recreational UAS should be aware that in remote, rural and agricultural areas, manned aircraft, including fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters, may be operating very close to ground level. Pilots conducting agricultural, firefighting, law enforcement, emergency medical, wildlife survey operations and a variety of other services all legally and routinely work in low-level airspace. Operators controlling UAS in these areas should maintain situational awareness, give way to, and remain a safe distance from these low-level, manned airplanes and helicopters.

Ok. How and what defines community based regs. We've all seen the one example of the AMA, but there are others correct? Or can we start our own? Who is in charge of defining the regs? Who says we can and can't?

Ok. How and what defines community based regs. We've all seen the one example of the AMA, but there are others correct? Or can we start our own? Who is in charge of defining the regs? Who says we can and can't?

Interesting question. I think the statement "The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization" somewhat constrains the situation. The AMA is clearly a recognized nationwide community organization. We could get together and make up some different rules, but we'd be hard pressed to satisfy that requirement.

Interesting question. I think the statement "The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization" somewhat constrains the situation. The AMA is clearly a recognized nationwide community organization. We could get together and make up some different rules, but we'd be hard pressed to satisfy that requirement.
I have wondered if the wording,"with-in the programming", implies that you need to be a member.

I have wondered if the wording,"with-in the programming", implies that you need to be a member.

It certainly sounds like it means that, but it also seems clear from both the current implementation and various statements from the FAA that they are not taking it that way.

No response from FAA as of yet and haven't been able to get anywhere calling their multiple phone numbers, however just had a conversation with an air controller at an International air port about 7 miles out. He said they(I assume the FAA) are concerned with the larger airports such as theirs. He continued to say he has lots of hobby drones flying around and they notify him via email which he gave me that when I fly to stay under 400 ft. and line of site which of course is a given. I will update if I ever receive an answer from the FAA but I suspect their is no solution. It would be great if they provided a contact number for all unpaved air ports.
If you make a reasonable effort to contact them then you will have satisfied the requirement. If contact details are not available then document it and then fly.

We've been discussing this on another thread - FAR 101.41 is a total joke, based on section 336 of Public Law 112-95, it's obvious the author had no "real world" aviation experience. I've had lengthy discussions with some of my local FAA OPS and PMIs and words like "joke," "unenforceable," "ridiculous," and "embarrassing" have been used. I'm not saying not to comply, it is the law, but it's the dumbest FAR in my 40 years in this business I've ever seen!

Reactions: JoeG698
We've been discussing this on another thread - FAR 101.41 is a total joke, based on section 336 of Public Law 112-95, it's obvious the author had no "real world" aviation experience. I've had lengthy discussions with some of my local FAA OPS and PMIs and words like "joke," "unenforceable," "ridiculous," and "embarrassing" have been used. I'm not saying not to comply, it is the law, but it's the dumbest FAR in my 40 years in this business I've ever seen!
Just received an email from FAA recommending I contact the local assessors office as they must pay taxes and thus have contact info. we'll see how this works out :>(

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Just received an email from FAA recommending I contact the local assessors office as they must pay taxes and thus have contact info. we'll see how this works out :>(
Par for the course!

Try a google search of the airport and see if their name and airport identifier comes up. Google the identifier. AirNav is a good source for contact info

https://www.airnav.com/airports/

See if you can find an email contact, when I fly near a local airport I shoot them a quick email and always get a "Thanks for the heads up!" email back. No need to even call. Plus, an email (especially if you cc yourself) gives you at least some proof that you made a good faith attempt at contacting them.

Reactions: JoeG698

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik