Finally lost my bird after 9 months of great no issues flying.

Need to look at the whole flight, but when lowest cell is 3.6 you should land. Check the deviation from full charge to lowest cell at 3.6, it should be small at full charge....

So is it simply the battery statistics we are getting are not correct so people are running the batteries down too far thinking they have more left or is the Phantom prematurely shutting down as a result of these incorrect battery stats?

I have been backpacking in to spots, flying 5 min, packing up, moving and repeat. I keep track of flight time on my stopwatch and don't exceed 16 or 17 minutes regardless of what the RC tells me. Is this a safe practice?

So is it simply the battery statistics we are getting are not correct so people are running the batteries down too far thinking they have more left or is the Phantom prematurely shutting down as a result of these incorrect battery stats?

I have been backpacking in to spots, flying 5 min, packing up, moving and repeat. I keep track of flight time on my stopwatch and don't exceed 16 or 17 minutes regardless of what the RC tells me. Is this a safe practice?

It seems to require a longer time period of the battery sitting for the issues to occue. Your practice seems less safe than flying a whole pack but might be ok since they are close together, I wouldn't recharge in your situation either. Just check your voltage (especially after you lift off) and land when it is 14.4 or lower...

it is very reasonable to say you should only fly with 100 percent charged battery. Your battery life is down to 87% and your takeoff battery was reported as 67%. You climbed fast, and flew into the wind. Why risk a $1000 (I know they are cheaper now) quadcopter because you want to squeeze in those extra 9-12 minutes of possible flight time? Stop scaring the potential newbs and stop blaming DJI for your error.
I think you should wind your neck in cowboy. At what point is he 'blaming' DJI?
1000's of us get multiple flights on one battery, AS LONG AS ITS ON THE SAME DAY.
As long as it's above 50% and within a few hours of your last flight and you keep an eye on voltages/distances etc you really should be fine.
Admittedly the poor OP has had a catastrophic issue but that's one case out of all the thousands of problem free flights using the above rules that go unreported.
So, stop being so reactionary - if you think you're helping the so called 'newbs', you're not.

Reactions: Monte Olsen
1. What is the best practice for battery management? Should I immediately recharge them if they are below 10% or just wait until the day before I am going to fly again?
2. I am unclear on the "refreshing". Should this be done every so many cycles or is there a specific test to know when?
3. When batteries are brand new, should they be only drained to a certain point (ie 50%) or should I just drain them to under 10% always?
4. Last one. If for any reason I have to quit early and my battery is at, say 50%. Would it be better to just recharge it or would it be better to fly on it again later (right in my front yard) (ie work on manuvers in my front yard, to run it down below 10%)
1. Yes, to at least 60% to store them.
2. Every 20 cycles.
3. It's recommended to run new batteries down to only 50% for the first 5 to 10 cycles.
4. Always Recharge it, it doesn't harm the battery. Never begin a flight starting at 50%, to be safe.

What are the effects of not performing a deep discharge after 20 charges. Could this battery have been effected in a manor such as this. I never pay much attention to "Battery Percentage",..but I do to the "Weakest Cell Amps". From all I've read on this forum & others,.is that your battery is only good as your weakest cell. If my weakest cell is @ 3.6 amps it's time to bring her in regardless of what my battery percentage is & I will not let it get to far or high,.knowing it's going to approach this point soon. Seems like a lot of birds dropping out of the sky,.do to pilot error of watching battery percentage,.rather than weakest cell amps. Would not deep discharging a battery after 20 charges cause this type of scenario?

You're right about people watching battery % when the real deal is looking at the cell voltages - I've always landed before any of the cells reach 3.6v

I think you should wind your neck in cowboy. At what point is he 'blaming' DJI?
1000's of us get multiple flights on one battery, AS LONG AS ITS ON THE SAME DAY.
As long as it's above 50% and within a few hours of your last flight and you keep an eye on voltages/distances etc you really should be fine.
Admittedly the poor OP has had a catastrophic issue but that's one case out of all the thousands of problem free flights using the above rules that go unreported.
So, stop being so reactionary - if you think you're helping the so called 'newbs', you're not.
I don't think my post was reactionary, yours certainly fits the definition though. Go back to post 15, he says it is not reasonable to say only fly on a fully charged battery. Well since DJI says in multiple places that you should only fly on a fully charged pack, I think it is more than reasonable to say that you should do exactly that. Also if you think I am not helping the newbs by quoting DJI and spreading the word that you should only fly on a fully charged pack, you are not fit to fly. Please go through all of the DJI material as it has been updated several times and if you haven't, you should read the most recent versions of the manual, and intelligent battery safety guidelines.
Pre-Flight Checklist.jpg

Attachments

• Battery Charge.jpg
    Battery Charge.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 286
I don't think my post was reactionary, yours certainly fits the definition though. Go back to post 15, he says it is not reasonable to say only fly on a fully charged battery. Well since DJI says in multiple places that you should only fly on a fully charged pack, I think it is more than reasonable to say that you should do exactly that. Also if you think I am not helping the newbs by quoting DJI and spreading the word that you should only fly on a fully charged pack, you are not fit to fly. Please go through all of the DJI material as it has been updated several times and if you haven't, you should read the most recent versions of the manual, and intelligent battery safety guidelines.
View attachment 43117
Splendid, we can agree to differ then! Let's move on before the thread gets completely hijacked by our little disagreement.

Splendid, we can agree to differ then! Let's move on before the thread gets completely hijacked by our little disagreement.
Just don't willingly post mis-information when DJI says the opposite, and the evidence from a lot of crash stories on this forum show that what DJI says is the truth (always fly on a fully charged pack) not what Wacker2611 says to be true, go ahead and fly on your half charged packs but don't spread the word to others that it is an okay practice.

1. What is the best practice for battery management? Should I immediately recharge them if they are below 10% or just wait until the day before I am going to fly again?
2. I am unclear on the "refreshing". Should this be done every so many cycles or is there a specific test to know when?
3. When batteries are brand new, should they be only drained to a certain point (ie 50%) or should I just drain them to under 10% always?
4. Last one. If for any reason I have to quit early and my battery is at, say 50%. Would it be better to just recharge it or would it be better to fly on it again later (right in my front yard) (ie work on manuvers in my front yard, to run it down below 10%).

I think I've read every battery thread in the last six months. I've learned a lot - one of the things I've learned is that there are a lot of different opinions regarding battery care. I tend to follow DJI's advice, but there are a few things DJI didn't tell us.

Anyway, here goes:

1) DJI says an ideal battery storage level is 40-50%. And yet, they're own auto-discharge system only discharges to 65%. So what do we conclude? Some say the ideal storage charge is actually 40-65%. You decide. If your battery is below 40%, there are two things to consider: a) how low is the charge, and b) how long is it going to be before you fly with that battery. The lower the charge, the more important it is to charge. The longer the battery sits unused, the more important it is to have the battery at the correct storage level. So make a decision and do what you think is best based on a) and b) above. It is definitely not healthy to leave a battery at 10% - especially for a lengthy amount of time.

2) DJI recommends a deep discharge every 20 cycles (not charges, not flights). You can see the cycle number in your app. Some say it's not necessary. Nonetheless, I do deep discharges every 20 cycles. Deep discharging seems to promote balanced cells and also serves to recalibrate the battery percentage so that you get a more accurate reading. IMO, deep discharging is a good thing and should be done as DJI recommends.

3) New battery care - some say it doesn't matter. I say it does. IMO, over-stressing your battery is not a good thing (I know this is contrary to a deep discharge, but I view a deep discharge as a necessary evil) - and some say it's especially not good on a new battery. Some say you should break in your new battery just like you'd break in your new car engine. Take it easy the first thousand miles. Take it easy the first ten flights. It's the ten-ten rule. 10 flights for ten minutes each. 50% is a good time to quit.

4) Flying on a used battery - I would recharge it fully, although you would probably be okay if you flew a short time on a battery you had used earlier that day. I definitely would NOT take it down to 10%.

Finally, battery temp is IMPORTANT. And temp is rarely mentioned in these conversations. Try to learn to think in centigrade. 30-35 C is your ideal operating temp. That's 86-95F. What you want to avoid is flying below 20C. That's 68F. Flying below 20 C promotes the risk of serious battery problems during flight. In winter flying, my experience is, my battery will actually drop in temp if the air temp is 20 degrees F colder than the battery. This means starting out at 20C (68F) in winter air is risky.

MHO

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I think I've read every battery thread in the last six months. I've learned a lot - one of the things I've learned is that there are a lot of different opinions regarding battery care. I tend to follow DJI's advice, but there are a few things DJI didn't tell us.

Anyway, here goes:

1) DJI says an ideal battery storage level is 40-50%. And yet, they're own auto-discharge system only discharges to 65%. So what do we conclude? Some say the ideal storage charge is actually 40-65%. You decide. If your battery is below 40%, there are two things to consider: a) how low is the charge, and b) how long is it going to be before you fly with that battery. The lower the charge, the more important it is to charge. The longer the battery sits unused, the more important it is to have the battery at the correct storage level. So make a decision and do what you think is best based on a) and b) above. It is definitely not healthy to leave a battery at 10% - especially for a lengthy amount of time.

2) DJI recommends a deep discharge every 20 cycles (not charges, not flights). You can see the cycle number in your app. Some say it's not necessary. Nonetheless, I do deep discharges every 20 cycles. Deep discharging seems to promote balanced cells and also serves to recalibrate the battery percentage so that you get a more accurate reading. IMO, deep discharging is a good thing and should be done as DJI recommends.

3) New battery care - some say it doesn't matter. I say it does. IMO, over-stressing your battery is not a good thing (I know this is contrary to a deep discharge, but I view a deep discharge as a necessary evil) - and some say it's especially not good on a new battery. Some say you should break in your new battery just like you'd break in your new car engine. Take it easy the first thousand miles. Take it easy the first ten flights. It's the ten-ten rule. 10 flights for ten minutes each. 50% is a good time to quit.

4) Flying on a used battery - I would recharge it fully, although you would probably be okay if you flew a short time on a battery you had used earlier that day. I definitely would NOT take it down to 10%.

Finally, battery temp is IMPORTANT. And temp is rarely mentioned in these conversations. Try to learn to think in centigrade. 30-35 C is your ideal operating temp. That's 86-95F. What you want to avoid is flying below 20C. That's 68F. Flying below 20 C promotes the risk of serious battery problems during flight. In winter flying, my experience is, my battery will actually drop in temp if the air temp is 20 degrees F colder than the battery. This means starting out at 20C (68F) in winter air is risky.

MHO

Hope this helps

For the first time yesterday I saw a warning in the Go app... It said "battery is below 15 degrees Celsius, please warm battery to 15 degrees C." Or something to that effect.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

To warm my batteries, I use a gel pad that you use for keeping food warm. I warm it in the microwave and then put the gel pad and my batteries in a nepprene tablet case.

I know this has already been answered but my opinions are as follows:

1 - The best storage charge for your batteries is ~40-65%. You want to store them in an intermediate state. Definitely not full or extremely low. When I say "store" I mean if you are not intending to fly for a week or more. If you are going to fly within a few days just charge them full & you should be fine. If they are going to set for a week or more then 40-65%.

Phantom 3 batteries have a self-discharge feature. The default is 10 days so, after 10 days of sitting, your batteries will auto-discharge down to ~65%. You can modify this setting from within the Go app. Note the setting is retained within the battery so you must set EACH battery individually. I currently have mine set to 5 days. Note that the discharge timer resets when you press the power button & there is no visual indication that the batteries are in the auto-discharge state. The latter is somewhat annoying & I think DJI should make the power light blink as a visual indication that an auto-discharge is in progress. The LED power draw would also aid in the discharge process.

I always charge my packs before I intend to fly. If batteries are >80% you can force them to top off by powering the battery on BEFORE attaching to the charger. With the auto-discharge feature this is a good idea.

2 - DJI recommends every 20 cycles discharging the batteries down to 8%. This aids in balancing the cells & calculating available power. I usually do this by flying & then hovering nearby until the battery drops to <8%. If your auto-land is set to the minimum of 10%, you will have to hold her in the air with the throttle manually for the last 2-3% or she will auto-land. Alternatively you can let her sit on the ground idling until the battery drops under 8%. I do not like leaving the Phantom on without props as a discharge method as it takes a lot longer to discharge & there is no air flowing over the electronics.

*Note that "cycles" calculated by the app may not exactly match the number of times you have actually charged a battery. It only seems to count a charge if the battery accepts a certain amount of charge. Several top-off charges may equate to only one actual charge cycle.

3 - Li-pos in general break in over the first 5-10 cycles before reaching maximum performance. From then on they are slowly degrading. Some folks live by a "50% break-in rule" but I've never seen this as a DJI recommendation. When any battery is brand new you want to go a bit easy since it could be a dud. You certainly don't want to send your bird out 4 miles on a brand new untested battery! :eek:

Related some folks recommend landing @ 3.4-3.6 volts-per-cell. If you are going for the maximum battery life that may (or may not) be good advice. I tend to push my batteries a lot harder & you CAN fly to 10% or even lower in a pinch, as long as you understand you have to force her to stay airborne by applying throttle once you reach 10%. I don't recommend doing this each & every flight but, on occasion, I doubt it causes any harm. The critical voltage to remember is 3.0 volts-per-cell. 3.0 volts is empty. If any cell drops below 3 volts the battery shuts down. In the battery screen be sure to enable the option to show voltage on app screen. That way you see the battery percentage as well as the voltage of the lowest cell.

If you are way out, heed your flight controller's battery advice if it indicates a low-battery RTH! I recommend long-range mission begin INTO THE WIND so you have a nice battery cushion with the wind at your back on the way back home.

4 - I ALWAYS fly with a freshly-charged full pack. If your batteries are down to 50% & you are just going to touch down for a moment & take back off that is no biggie as the battery is still warm. I do NOT recommend using a partially discharged pack if you are going to come back later & initiate a new flight on a now-cold pack. Not to say you can't do it in a pinch if you closely monitor the voltage & limit your power demands but, as a new pilot flying an expensive aircraft, you have enough on your plate already without worrying about a mid-air catastrophic battery shutdown. Fly with a full-battery & you'll be good.

Thanks for the post. I have had my P3 for a month or so and have had no issues. Got my dad one for Christmas and 12 days later, he did have a failure of some sort but not sure on the details. Did not matter as the damage was done.

I am sure I can google for info but I am looking for good solid info from a reliable source (which you seem to be). I have 4 batteries. I am trying to run them down to below 10% by just flying right around very low and close for the last little bit.
4. Last one. If for any reason I have to quit early and my battery is at, say 50%. Would it be better to just recharge it or would it be better to fly on it again later (right in my front yard) (ie work on manuvers in my front yard, to run it down below 10%).

Thank you again for your post and I hope you can help me with these battery questions. I am sure there are other newbs like me that just don't know all the facts on best battery practices. My neighbor just gone one too so I want to pass on the details to him as well.

Reactions: ScottLB
I use these. These are alot cheaper
Amazon.com: Vesture Hot Pack-Replacement Microcore Pac for Casserole Carriers (Red Pack For Microwave Heating): Insulated Casserole Carrier: Kitchen & Dining

Thanks for the VERY helpful replies on the batteries. I cant tell yall how helpful that was!!

Question. If I start flying and need to stop for a bit and i took the battery out and kept it on a hot pack to keep temp up, would that help maintain the status (level) of the battery whrn I stopped. In other words, if I prevent the battery from going cold, would it be like I never quit flying??

Last question. Do yall tape your vent holes when it is cold? Is there a temp cutoff for doing or not doing it? It seems that temps play a huge role in the battery performance so wondering how yall handle the vent holes in colder weather?

What you want to avoid is flying below 20C. That's 68F. Flying below 20 C promotes the risk of serious battery problems during flight. In winter flying, my experience is, my battery will actually drop in temp if the air temp is 20 degrees F colder than the battery. This means starting out at 20C (68F) in winter air is risky.

Hope this helps

****. That almost totally rules out flying for me. In Ireland it rarely goes above 20C. Looks like I'll get one day in the year when I can fly. Hope it's not raining that day...:D
:D:D

Just wanted to point out that I never had to worry about all this battery voltage crap with my P2. I could get 3 flights off one battery no problem. I play the charge to 100% game with my P3, but. shouldn't have to. Dji should get off their lazy, pathetic arse-holes and fix this problem. Think of how many P3 owners out there will never make it to this forum to find out all the scary stuff.

****. That almost totally rules out flying for me. In Ireland it rarely goes above 20C. Looks like I'll get one day in the year when I can fly. Hope it's not raining that day...:D
:D:D
Haha...

I was referring to battery temp ;)

You knew that right?

I personally wouldn't fly with a 17 mph wind, heck yesterday it was 11 mph according to the hover app and I cancelled flying it after my initial takeoff and was watching it fight the wind

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav