Finally Flying my DJI phantom 1.1.1

Reaction score
Just got my drone on friday and have had it in the air a few times, must say its sweet, flies very nice, took me a few trys to get use to the controls.

Question, if i get a FPV kit that only hooks up the the power from the drone, will the apps that you can get from DJI or any other party work in the waypoint mode. I would assume it would since it would be on the 5.8 ghz frquency that it uses for FPV to work.

What's "the waypoint mode"?

What's "the waypoint mode"?
I guess what I mean, is if you have FPV which I was told you do, then the groundcontrol (waypoint navigation will work). If I am wrong, maybe someone could add to this thread. I am use to the AR Drone 2.0 and having waypoint control with the GPS module, so the DJI is new to me, even though its the 1.1.1 version.

If you are going to modify the P1 to have FPV, and you want feedback on what capabilities that P1 with FPV will have. You need to share with us exactly what has been added to the bird and exactly what you have on the ground.

Either that, or I am missing something. :confused:

Ok, here is the deal, I just got my Phantom 1.1.1 version, nothing has been modified, I am looking at getting a FPV kit to add to the drone/transmitter so I can have FPV on my phone or a tablet, so what I need to know is how to do this. I know you can get FPV kits relatively inexpensive, I would like to not have to modify anything in the actual drone itself if I can get away without it, if I do have to no problem just how to do it is the question, I realize I will need a power source for the FPV transmitter that will attach to the drone. When lets say I have a FPV kit hooked up to the drone, and all that is done on the drone is attaching the FPV transmitter and hooking up the power supply to it, what are the capabilities of the drone other that sharing video feed on what the go pro camera is seeing.

There are 2 (common) ways to do FPV.
1. put a camera with WiFi on the bird
2. add a camera which is wired to a transmitter which is wired to a power source that transmits to a receiver which is right in front of you.

The WiFi has limited range and does have a (time) lag. It will break up and disappoint you the first time you fly behind a building. That's not the bad news about WiFi. Most cameras with WiFi (like the GoPro) broadcast on 2.4. Guess what frequency controls your bird. Guess 2.4 and you win the prize. The theys say you will cause control issues if you mix WiFi and Control on the same frequency.

If you choose #2, well the FPV possibilities are virtually endless and expanding every day.

The capabilities of the drone are what they were before you started, minus the reduced flight time because of the energy draw and increased weight.

There are 2 (common) ways to do FPV.
1. put a camera with WiFi on the bird
2. add a camera which is wired to a transmitter which is wired to a power source that transmits to a receiver which is right in front of you.

The WiFi has limited range and does have a (time) lag. It will break up and disappoint you the first time you fly behind a building. That's not the bad news about WiFi. Most cameras with WiFi (like the GoPro) broadcast on 2.4. Guess what frequency controls your bird. Guess 2.4 and you win the prize. The theys say you will cause control issues if you mix WiFi and Control on the same frequency.

If you choose #2, well the FPV possibilities are virtually endless and expanding every day.

The capabilities of the drone are what they were before you started, minus the reduced flight time because of the energy draw and increased weight.
Hey thanks for all the info and help. I knew about the go pro wifi and buletooth if on will mess with the dji phantoms electronics and cause headaches. Does Bluetooth in fact interfere with the phantom? Also, not sure how the groundcontrol in the apps and the pc program work, if they work off of the frequency that the FPV transmit will that work, these are areas I am not sure about yet.

Hello Droid, I use a Storm deluxe FPV setup. It comes with the transmitter for the video that gets its feed directly from your gopro. No need for two cameras. It also comes with a screen, that is tripod mountable, that you use for your Birdseye view. That all transmits on 5.8. It was a few hundred bucks from helipal. The only thing you have to do, is solder the power leads from the transmitter to auxiliary power wires in your P1. The screen has its own battery.

http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one-fpv-combo-deluxe.html

Also, as I understand waypoint flying, you program a set pattern of GPS locations, and the Phantom follows the pattern autonomously. Is that what you're talking about?

DJI Phantom 1.1.1 currently under construction to become a Phantom hex.
Snohomish co. WA

Hello Droid, I use a Storm deluxe FPV setup. It comes with the transmitter for the video that gets its feed directly from your gopro. No need for two cameras. It also comes with a screen, that is tripod mountable, that you use for your Birdseye view. That all transmits on 5.8. It was a few hundred bucks from helipal. The only thing you have to do, is solder the power leads from the transmitter to auxiliary power wires in your P1. The screen has its own battery.

http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one-fpv-combo-deluxe.html

Also, as I understand waypoint flying, you program a set pattern of GPS locations, and the Phantom follows the pattern autonomously. Is that what you're talking about?

Snohomish co. WA
Hey thanks for the link for the storm deluxe FPV kit, i will look into it. What i was asking, is when the FPV is hooked up and working, will the groundcontrol work with programing a Set pattern of GPS locations (waypoints) in any of the apps that are available for the phantom or the pc progam for groundcontrol.

Not unless you buy something other than we're discussing here.

I think you've been reading about this and then about that and coming up with "ThisNThat" combined. It would be nice, but I think it costs a short stack of hundreds more than FPV.
Would you please share a link or two to what has given you the thoughts. Sometimes we can do what they say we can't. :D

Here's my favorite example of that:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/osd-on-the-fc40-and-dji-said-it-couldnt-be-done.31638/

Waypoint flying is possible, but like IflyinWY says its **** expensive. P1s weren't really designed with that sort of flying in mind.

Snohomish co. WA

Reactions: IflyinWY

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.