FG-PH3 ARTF 3mm FIBERGLASS 2212 Brushless Motor Gimbal

Reaction score
So learning from my previous gimbal gamble, I found a more suitable brushless gimbal for the Phantom. I settled on the FG-PH3 brushless gimbal. Search on ebay for "FG-PH3 ARTF 3mm FIBERGLASS 2212 Brushless Motor DD Gimbal"

I had high hopes for this gimbal as it seemed to resolve all my concerns I had from the previous gimbal I had purchased.
It is small and compact, fits cleanly underneath the Phantom without having to modify the landing skids.
It also fits inside the GoProfessional DJI Phantom case without any modifications.
The anti-vibration rubber balls that held the mounting plates were much beefier and less prone to collapse when pressure was put on them.
And lastly, it also came with the v3 Martinez board which I have become quite familiar with.

9085861157_8f88a35e04_z.jpg

nice clean fit under the Phantom, power provided by 12v aux line on Phantom.

9085861111_7f9d960d10_z.jpg

side profile showing depth of the gimbal and how far forward the Gopro sits.

9088078268_9c5be2d438_z.jpg

back view of gimbal, manual pitch cable running from Martinez board up thru rear-right plug on Phantom to Naza-M (same as compass)

When I first attached the gopro to the gimbal, I noticed that it wasn't entirely balanced, it would lean heavy on the roll axis on the motor side, this was easily fixed by loosening 2 screws and sliding the frame that held the Gopro a few milimeters away from the motor. The motors are RCTimer 2212 motors by the way. After balancing the gimbal I immediately loaded the 0.49b r69 firmware. Did a quick flight (at dusk unfortunately) to see how much of an improvement this gimbal design was over the first gimbal
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuMLD4lLyhk[/youtube]

Pretty good footage, much better than what I was working with before.
Noticed that there was a new revision update to the 0.49 firmware, r161. Loaded that onto the board the other day and went out to do some recording for a project I am currently working on. Here's a very short clip with some post-processing (speed reduced to 50%, auto levels on colors/contrast, and some stabilization on the very little amount of shake the original clip had)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0_YZvYfrZQ[/youtube]

Overall I am very pleased with the gimbal and am lucky that I had a truly almost-ready-to-fly gimbal that worked well out the box. Some negatives I can think of with this gimbal is that the IMU sensor has no real place to sit on. In the first picture, you can see the IMU sensor is double-sided taped to the underside of the Gopro. Eventually I would like to have the IMU sensor mounted closer to the center of both the roll and pitch axis. There is plenty of room directly behind the Gopro so maybe I'll stick a L-bracket of some sort behind there and put the IMU there.
Another negative, for me at least, is that I do not have a right-angle 90degree usb cable to attach to the Gopro to transfer my videos, I have to unscrew the blue mount to remove the Gopro everytime I want to hook it up to the computer. I have a right-angle cable on the way and I am hoping it will fit without having to remove the Gopro from the gimbal.

Now, back to filming as I am quite excited about this project I am working on :D

Hey Windcharger.
How is it working for you? I just got one and am in the process of getting everything sorted out. Will fly for a while without it till I get more confident. Lol.
Dominic.

windcharger said:
Some negatives I can think of with this gimbal is that the IMU sensor has no real place to sit on.

Maybe a long shot but I believe this is your gimbal... (the word 'Tarot' on the anti-vibration bushes gives it away).

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/gopro-twoaxis ... -1096.html

From the pics on this site is the IMU not mounted to/inside the plate on the back? I notice from your pics the plate is there but there is nothing screwed to it?

Could be wrong but worth a shot.

dominicnoon said:
Hey Windcharger.
How is it working for you? I just got one and am in the process of getting everything sorted out. Will fly for a while without it till I get more confident. Lol.
Dominic.

Everything is great with this gimbal, my vibrations are very small and almost steady...I still run a post processing to stabilize it but the quality loss is very minimal. Once you have yours dialed in, I think you will be very satisfied with it.

DeweyAXD said:
windcharger said:
Some negatives I can think of with this gimbal is that the IMU sensor has no real place to sit on.

Maybe a long shot but I believe this is your gimbal... (the word 'Tarot' on the anti-vibration bushes gives it away).

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/gopro-twoaxis ... -1096.html

From the pics on this site is the IMU not mounted to/inside the plate on the back? I notice from your pics the plate is there but there is nothing screwed to it?

Could be wrong but worth a shot.

that is almost the exact gimbal frame with some subtle differences. the piece that holds the roll motor is different and the software the control board uses looks different than the open source gimbal software (i think its a hacked Alexmos software?)
the way the IMU mounts on that foxtech gimbal it would make the IMU vertical. I tried to imitate that mounting method but Im not sure I have the X, Y, Z-axis facing the proper direction, as well as whats in the software.

For now Im content with the gimbal as is, and the old saying, "if its not broke, then don't fix it"

windcharger said:
dominicnoon said:
Hey Windcharger.
Dominic.

Everything is great with this gimbal, my vibrations are very small and almost steady...I still run a post processing to stabilize it but the quality loss is very minimal. Once you have yours dialed in, I think you will be very satisfied with it.

Would have worked fine. Plugged it in to test it out before I installed it and POOF.....white smoke :shock: :? . The power cables werent soldered tightly enough (bought it pre-assembled). Re-soldered them and now all I get is an orange LED for about 3 minutes....turned it off after that.

Not very amused at the moment.

Any ideas?

dominicnoon said:
windcharger said:
dominicnoon said:
Hey Windcharger.
Dominic.

Would have worked fine. Plugged it in to test it out before I installed it and POOF.....white smoke :shock: :? . The power cables werent soldered tightly enough (bought it pre-assembled). Re-soldered them and now all I get is an orange LED for about 3 minutes....turned it off after that.

Not very amused at the moment.

Any ideas?

Obvious observation, that board is fried. Purchase another v3 Martinez board and swap it out, your IMU should be good still. Luckily the boards are much cheaper than the actual gimbals.

windcharger said:
Obvious observation, that board is fried. Purchase another v3 Martinez board and swap it out, your IMU should be good still. Luckily the boards are much cheaper than the actual gimbals.

Yup. That's the plan now. Thanks.

dominicnoon said:
windcharger said:

Yup. That's the plan now. Thanks.

I just submitted my entry to the DJI Phantom contest. Shot entirely with the FG-PH3 gimbal on firmware 0.49b r161
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKvF88J-dbo[/youtube]
I did add some stabilization but the gimbal works pretty well without it, comparing the video I've taken to some Zenmuse H3-2D vids I'd say i'm very happy with the FG-PH3 and its abilities. Saving a couple hundred $$$ also feels good :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl