Ferrites

Reaction score
Hi has anyone used ferrites to reduce RF on their quadcopter]? Also, since it's used to reduce RF interference, would it be safe to use near GPS compasses. ?
I don't know if it's safe to use near the flight controllers as well. I don't know if they put out a RF field that can damage or hard GPS or flight controllers.

Any help or knowledge would be great full. I'm trying to build and improve my drones.

406763bc0a8454896b73e6053193753b.jpg

Reactions: Gadget
What problem are you trying resolve?

Hi. Basically any RF interference from the power distribution board. Also, interference from the receiver to the flight controller. Basically I want to improve GPS reception. I was thinking maybe this would be one way to improve it.

Well first you have to identify the unwanted interference before you can design and select the appropriate prophylactic. If your using off the shelf devices then they already have the required filtering.

I was thinking about placing a few of them near the GPS compass to see if gps signal strength is lower but at the same time I don't want to damage the antenna. The drone is hooked up by fpv and the screen would show how many antenna is connected.

Improving sat count is my goal. My though is that if the system is clean from RF it might make a difference.

Well maybe a bit more research would be best before proceeding.
There are only a finite number of Sats 'in-view' at any given time so there is a limit. Then there is horizon masking used to filter out those too low to be effective. Most have used improved antennas to achieve more Sats rather than tampering with other pre-designed circuits. Often unintended consequences can occur with second-guessing the design engineers.

If you really want to use ferries use them in motor circuits and battery power circuits. Thus internal generated RF due to switching currents is reduced.

I don't think you can improve GPS signal or RC to AC communication.

If you really want to use ferries use them in motor circuits and battery power circuits. Thus internal generated RF due to switching currents is reduced.

I don't think you can improve GPS signal or RC to AC communication.

True. I was thinking about putting them between the battery and the power distribution board. Then RF should be at a minimum.

Well maybe a bit more research would be best before proceeding.
There are only a finite number of Sats 'in-view' at any given time so there is a limit. Then there is horizon masking used to filter out those too low to be effective. Most have used improved antennas to achieve more Sats rather than tampering with other pre-designed circuits. Often unintended consequences can occur with second-guessing the design engineers.

I think ur correct about second guessing the engineers who design the system. I'll research more about improving antennas to achieve more signal.

True. I was thinking about putting them between the battery and the power distribution board. Then RF should be at a minimum.

I would be surprised if DJI has not provided enough filtering. You need to conduct load tests to verify it. Measuring RF being generated internally requires right equipment.

I would be surprised if DJI has not provided enough filtering. You need to conduct load tests to verify it. Measuring RF being generated internally requires right equipment.

All the equipment is dji except the power distribution board.
ac2d9bf8cc8e1854d0e31d84ab179e85.jpg

Try using a hotter iron and tinning the wires a board pads before sweating to complete the joints. I would be a little concerned about the mechanical performance of those joints.

Reactions: CANEKiTA
I think I'm using too big of a soldering rig. I'm using a weller dual. 100w/140w but the tip is an it too big I believe.
247e037d02c218d1293bfed8999ec9ea.jpg

0a808e29547bc7382a61ad3d4b17f83e.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl