Fc40 Irratic flight

Reaction score
I've just connected my P1 to the computer for the first time,

I turned on orientation and home lock and the fail safe switch..

Other than that I don't think I did anything else..

I've just took it for a test flight (it is a bit windy) but it struggled to get GPS lock, when it did and had home position set I took off and it started asking red, and flight was very rough and uncontrollable.. Interestingly when it was on the ground it did the rapid green home position light thing..

So I thought the battery was flat so I swapped it.. It did the same.. I kept it in the air this time but it was bouncing all over the place.. Turned it to ATT and it was stable so it's not the wind.

I'm flying in my garden where I always fly, and always get good GPS.. I'm a bit worried about flying it now..

Have you done anything to the compass?

I wasn't aware of doing anything to the settings.. For the compass and I've not touched the compass

I've just had another go and it was ok, flight was stable etc. but the red light did flash a couple of times and I got the rapid green light for a second time on takeoff...

but the red light did flash a couple of times and I got the rapid green light for a second time on takeoff...

The first set of rapid greens is part of the warm up procedure the second round of rapid greens are when its setting the home point. and its not ready to fly till after you are just getting a slow steady green flash with no reds. So you may be taking off just a bit early.

But if its bouncing around and drifting it probably needs a compass calibration.

No I waited long enough.. It went the rough it's usuall green red red red.. green red red.. Green red.. Green green then rapid green... The waited for a few more green blinks then took off.. When I landed it gave anther burst of rapid green after showing red.. Or is this something todo with the home lock on the top left switch?

The Phantom doesn't require home lock to fly...but you should have home lock before you fly. What you're describing (I think) is incompatible data between the compass and the GPS. Most of the time this is related to a compass issue. They're very sensitive to magnetic fields (the compass), and ferrous materials (like iron).

By default GPS mode is set to the top RIGHT switch, not the left, and by default both switches should be all the way up. The left switch controls intelligent orientation which is another topic unto itself.

If you continue to have problems we're going to need you to post your compass mod values for us so we can rule out the compass.

I know it's not much help, but I don't think from your description that we have a very clear picture of what is going on, so you may want to think about posting a video. The Phantom shouldn't be setting a home lock AFTER you land, and it sounds like that's what you're saying.

We'll continue to monitor the thread and wait for your reply, good luck.

Do a compass calibration. Search here or on Youtube (or read the manual) on how to do it.

I have since had a flight with no issues.. But still concerned and only keeping it close just incase..

It's difficult to give a full description of what's happen as it's only done it twice.. And in both occasions I already had home lock.. (I've never flown without it) if it does it again I will try and get a video..

By compass calibration do you mean through the naza program on a computer or by doing the compass dance?

I wonder if I re recorded the home position without realising by toggling the lady switch by mistake..

And it erratic flight was because of the wind and random a poor GPS signal...

further investigation has revealed something that is missed, and had already been mentioned, when you have IOC enabled (even when it's off on the TX) it will do two sets of rapid green flashes...

so it turns out I had took off on the first set of greet flashes and when I landed it registered it's home point..

suppose this is proof that it's not the phantom that causes flyaways etc. it's often user error..

By compass calibration do you mean through the naza program on a computer or by doing the compass dance?[/quote] :mrgreen: The compass dance !!!!

Mini-geek said:
I have since had a flight with no issues.. But still concerned and only keeping it close just incase..

It's difficult to give a full description of what's happen as it's only done it twice.. And in both occasions I already had home lock.. (I've never flown without it) if it does it again I will try and get a video..

By compass calibration do you mean through the naza program on a computer or by doing the compass dance?

You should be concerned, you need to be sure it wont just fly away on you. Drawin is referring to the compass dance, and it's not a bad idea, BUT you shouldn't have to do the dance unless you're changing locations...like another state. Still if you're having an issue, it might help.

BUT you shouldn't have to do the dance unless you're changing locations...like another state. Still if you're having an issue, it might help.[/quote] NO, according to Dji you need to do the dance regardless of location.They told me the quad does NOT record position in its memory at all.Confirm that with Dji if you wish. I was told that on phone just last week.

I think you didn't wait for the second set of fast greens, I had a problem today, after second set of greens, I kept getting green red , did a dance, changed batt. still same thing, so I took it up 10 ft let it hover for a bit, and the red went away. next flight all was well. I notice this happen to me before, both times it was early in the mornings ,

yep I don't try putting wires in cabin until I see both sets of fast flashing greens , and the slow green flash, then I tuck wires away, then give it hell. peace of mind knowing it went through its proper disco light show. its very easy to get distracted . someone talking your ear off while you should be paying attention to the disco lights. LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor