FC40 flips on takeoff. Seems gyro reversed?

Reaction score
Hi All, New phantom owner here. Not new to drones as I've built a few 250 size quads for FPV, and building an F550. Picked up a lot of P1's on Ebay and one of them was a fairly decent FC40 minus the camera. Cleaned it up and it's in very decent shape.

Attempting to fly it and it flips on takeoff. I ran the motor test function in Assistant and found the motors were not in the proper location. Opened it up, and fixed that issue. Did an IMU cal as well. Motor location and prop direction are confirmed to be correct via the NAZA assistant motor test function.

On takeoff, same issue.

Decided to hold it in my hand and test the basic functions. Put the motors in idle, held the dron in one hand tightly and then tested the elevator and aileron function and found they work as intended. Stick forward or back gets the correct pair of motors to speed up and tint the drone. Same with aileron.

Then, while holding the drone, I decided to tilt it to see the response. This is where things got interesting. When I lift one corner of the drone, the motor that is going higher actually speeds up. You'd expect the opposite motor to speed up, but not the case here. This happened in every direction.

Rudder function is correct also. Pushing the stick right or left gets the expected rotation from the drone.

Rather than pull my hair out over this, figured I'd join and make a post and see if someone knew a solution off the top of their head. Seems like gyro stabilization is reversed, but the control directions are working correctly.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:
Layout is correct. I've double and triple checked that quad-X is selected. When I enter "motor Test" I initially found the original owner did have the motor sequence wrong. I opened the quad up and rearranged the servo leads, and confirmed that the motor numbering and prop direction is now correct in "motor test"

However, like I mentioned before, when I hold and tilt the quad, the rising motor actually speeds up, which is not the correct function.

Given I don't know what the original owner did, is is possible to mount the FC in the wrong orientation?

Last edited:
Nevermind. I'm a confirmed idiot.

Went back to beginning and checked layout. Seems battery door is the FRONT of the craft?

I was going by my esc led colors. Looks like red is front green is rear? I sorta assumed red was rear of craft.

Anyway, got it flying. Flew it around a bit and pretty easy to fly. This one will be a keeper.

Now to fix one of the others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Budman
Glad you got it working. I should check in here more often, but it is quiet now since most people have upgraded. I kept all 4 of my FC40s and fly regularly. If you want to get the most out of yours, consider an OSD and a video transmitter. I'm using an N1 OSD and a Boscam video transmitter. If you cannot find a 2.4 ghz transmitter you can also use a 1.2 ghz. There are lots of threads with setup options so look around and enjoy your phantoms!

Thanks. I bought the FC40 mostly to get flying with a gps equipped quad to take some pics. I was previously taking my manual control only 250 racing quad up for some aerial pics. I was able to do it, but I'd be lying if I said o didn't have a few close calls. Figured I'd just swap to a better platform for pics. I can finally strip all the camera mounts off and stick to zipping along low to the ground.

I'm "slowly" building an F550 with gimbal and FPV but it's coming along too slowly to make use of this summer. Just going to put some basic GoPro mounts on the FC40 and fly that.

I also got an original p1 v1.0 with the eBay lot that is probably a total loss. Seems each ESC burned up, and unsure of the condition of the NAZA v1 as some leads to it melted up as well. Motors look ok, but who knows. Prob not cost effective to rebuild it at all. Unsure if there is any value in selling it on eBay as well.

Since traffic here is slim I figured I would post something. I have had my FC40 for about 3 1/2 years now. I have had minor low level crashes but no damage whatsoever. The drone is working great just like when I first got it. No problems at all. Camera quit a little while ago and I replaced it with one of GoPro Chinese clones and it is working great.

Everyone have a great day and fun flying.

Joe

Last edited:
Traffic is definitely slow here, but I continue to fly FC40's anyway. TMotors are now cheap so I upgraded to those as well. Its quite fun to fly

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20