FAQ Strong Arm Reinforcement Plates

Reaction score
How do the Reinforcement Plates Work?

Our UAV Bits Strong Arm Reinforcement Plates for the Phantom 3 and Phantom 2 work by distributing the forces generated by the Phantom’s motors over a larger area and through a stronger material.

After installing the plates, the motors are essentially anchored to the reinforcement plates which are much stronger than the thin plastic in the shell surrounding the motor mounting holes. The plates themselves rest on the under shell and make contact over a broad area, taking maximum advantage of the Phantom’s shell.

In addition to distributing the forces over a larger area, our design incorporates the two upper shell screws and this reduces the twisting of the arms by tying in to the strength of the upper shell. It does not eliminate the twisting, but it does reduce it to a level that the shell can hopefully withstand.

With all six screws securing the motors and the reinforcement plates our product has so far prevented any new cracks or further cracking in our customers Phantoms. Our product, the Strong Arm Reinforcement Plate, has been on the market since July 7th and we have had no reports of any failures from our customers.

The materials selected for our Strong Arm line are premium quality and chosen for their strength and rigidity. Other designs on the market fail to offer the advantages of our patent pending design or use lower quality, weaker, flexible material.

We offer three designs in the Strong Arm line.

The original which also provides protection to the sides and ends around the motors, which are often damaged by tip overs and light crashes.

Our removable prop guard design, which allows users to attach fixed or removable prop guards and is made from a carbon fiber filament that greatly increases the stiffness and lightness of the part.

The Hardshell design, made to work with the DJI Hardshell backpack without modifying the backpack. It too is made from a carbon fiber filament.

One word on the carbon fiber filament we use in production of the Strong Arms. It is not a carbon fiber fabric infused with resin, which is what comes to mind when most people think of carbon fiber. It is a 3D printer filament which has been reinforced with carbon fibers. This makes it very stiff and ideal for the purpose of making the Strong Arms. It also allows for a lighter part since less material is needed to build in the stiffness required.

I hope this helps answer some of the questions about the UAV Bits Strong Arm.

I received my set of UAV Bits Strong Arm Reinforcement plates only a few days ago. I have fitted them and completed a couple of short test flights as directed in the accompanying instruction sheet.
All seems absolutely fine so far.
I must say that the Phantom arms do seem to feel more 'solid' than previously.
Obviously, a true test would be for those guys who fitted these back in July/August and who have completed a reasonable number of flights, to then take off the plates and see if there is any cracking underneath. Has anyone done that?
As for my own, so far so good..
I definately think (so far) they are a worthwhile addition to the Phantom's shell for the $25 + shipping charge.

Removed mine after 100 flights. I had a stress crack in one of the recessed holes. Good news is the strong arms were holding it together. Without the strong arms there was separation of the two shell halves. I have sent it in for repairs. Ultimately I think the strong arms didn't prevent cracking but did a good job holding everything together.

Photo of the crack I found. Note the separation of the shell with the strong arms no longer supporting the bottom of the shell.

Attachments

• 1445563783359.jpg
    1445563783359.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 714
No cracks as yet, used an electrical tape binding for first 7 hrs of flying, then also fitted the strong arms. Using both methods now and feel arms are solid. No cracks at 12 hrs. Touch wood!!!

Long pieces of quality electrical tape, 50cm x 3mm, makes a strong layered bond. Secure ends.

P3P-taped-arms.jpg
(Also posted on another thread)

We also make a Strong Arm to fit the DJI Hardshell backpack because so many customers requested one that would not require modification of the Hardshell. It is made from a carbon fiber reinforced filament which adds strength and stiffness to the design where it needs it. Other brands don't use this in their design and that can lead to failure to prevent cracks from forming.
Strong Arm for Hardback2.jpg

Reactions: bobmyers
I think this is a great addition to my Phantom 3 Advanced.
I also bought the uavbits gimbal guard.
I went though the growing pains of crashing, in the tune of a $477.00 camera and gimbal replacement.
I rate these items 5 stars.
Keep it coming.
This is just my opinion not fact.
Bests Regard,
William E. Burrows Jr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bobmyers
We also make a Strong Arm to fit the DJI Hardshell backpack because so many customers requested one that would not require modification of the Hardshell. It is made from a carbon fiber reinforced filament which adds strength and stiffness to the design where it needs it. Other brands don't use this in their design and that can lead to failure to prevent cracks from forming.
View attachment 34088
Can you prove that DJI design lacks strength on the shells.

No, but I did see pictures online of an updated shell. It pointed out the differences inside and outside the shell.
Sorry, I did not bookmark the page but if you search I,m sure you will find it.
Best Regards,
William E. Burrows Jr.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic