Failsafe Mode Altitude

Reaction score
I am new to the P2, so please bear with me. I apologize in advance if this is covered on another thread and I missed it.

This may be a dumb question, but I have to ask. I am taking my P2 to Iceland in a few weeks and would like to get some video of the waterfalls. My concern is, what happens if failsafe kicks in while it is below me.

When you start the P2 and it obtains it GPS home point, it displays a height of 0m. I understand that when fail safe mode kicks in that it will rise to 20m (or whatever was set in P2 Assistant software), fly over to the GPS home and land. My question is, what if you are on top of a ridge/cliff/hill and are flying well below the GPS home when Failsafe kicks in? Does the P2 only rise 20m from that height before flying home, and possibly hitting the cliff? Or does it continue to rise until is 20m above home point and then fly horizontally until it is over the home point? I'm pretty sure the later is correct, but just want to get confirmation.

Reactions: scdavis74
Welcome to the party scdavis.

I think you will hear that it will climb above your starting altitude.

While you're waiting for an intelligent reply, you can use this to search our forum.
Enter your text in the middle of the page, not at the top.
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi
Thanks. I'm looking forward to having a great resource available here! I have so many questions and it looks like I'll be able to find lots of answers here.

IflyinWY did give you an intelligent reply . It will rise above what your HP is set at .
Hope to see some of your shots from Iceland !

IflyinWY did give you an intelligent reply . It will rise above what your HP is set at .
Hope to see some of your shots from Iceland !

Thanks Dirk... :D I impress myself when I guess correctly.

Reactions: dirkclod
i would reset the RTH height, there are trees that are taller than 20 meters. Just to be safe!

what happens if failsafe kicks in while it is below me.

what if you are on top of a ridge/cliff/hill and are flying well below the GPS home when Failsafe kicks in? Does the P2 only rise 20m from that height before flying home, and possibly hitting the cliff? Or does it continue to rise until is 20m above home point and then fly horizontally until it is over the home point?
You know the DJI design engineers are pretty clever.
They've thought all this out so Phantoms have a pretty good chance of coming home.
Here's what the manual says on the topic ....
i-kSXjjKm-L.jpg

If the Phantom's height when RTH is initiated is less than home point plus 20 metres, the Phantom rises to HP + 20 metres and comes home.
RTH is very important.
I recommend reading that section of the manual and trying it out so you understand how it works.
Also check out how you can reset home point and how you can resume control from RTH.

Reactions: IflyinWY

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.