Factual information on range please?

Excellent posts! I also run a dbs. I am also using the Icarus app for Android. This enables 27db 2.4 gig rc and ac tx signal. (video downlink only) Since I live in the states, 27db is already the norm (FCC mode) BUT, You can also change the tx wifi channel! Perfect for wifi congested areas! I use channels 3 and 9 in my neighborhood. Now for the CE users at 17db, this an awesome increase. Easier to use than Magic Power. No pc needed, but Icarus will cost you $5.99.

You got my attention.. What's to be gained by changing the wifi channel? I'm not sure I understand exactly..

You got my attention.. What's to be gained by changing the wifi channel? I'm not sure I understand exactly..
Here is screenshot of router on channel 9.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170323-154013.png
    Screenshot_20170323-154013.png
    195 KB · Views: 232
Here is screenshot of router on channel 9.

So you are using a wifi analyzer to view the phantom network and see which channels are less congested and making your channel selection based off of that information using icarus? I already have it loaded on my tablet, telents enabled patched and attached.. Just want to make sure I go about this right before doing any testing.

Thanks for all the info!

So you are using a wifi analyzer to view the phantom network and see which channels are less congested and making your channel selection based off of that information using icarus? I already have it loaded on my tablet, telents enabled patched and attached.. Just want to make sure I go about this right before doing any testing.
Thanks for all the info!

I think you got it. To be clear, you don't use the analyzer to "view the phantom network", but to view the other networks so you can specify a less congested channel for your network (the P3S, in this case).

Reactions: 805hd
Is there a good app for the iPhone to do this?

I guess you'd also need a laptop with magic power on to change dependant on location?

Is there a good app for the iPhone to do this?

Based on the link I posted previously, the answer is no (apparently iOS doesn't allow the level of hardware access that network analyzers need). If you end up needing a laptop because of Magic Power - can't comment on it as I don't have Magic Power - then you can run the network analyzer from there. Alternatively, ask friends and family if they have an old Android phone that they don't use anymore, and load the analyzer there. Even an old phone will do.

Quite frankly, while I know about this stuff as I've done it to optimize my home WiFi, I never tried it with the P3S, so I can't say if or how much it helps. But I know you're trying to squeeze every last feet of range from your P3S, so it's something worth exploring: it does make sense from a technical standpoint, and it's pretty straightforward and harmless.

Reactions: Dazzauk
Based on the link I posted previously, the answer is no (apparently iOS doesn't allow the level of hardware access that network analyzers need). If you end up needing a laptop because of Magic Power - can't comment on it as I don't have Magic Power - then you can run the network analyzer from there. Alternatively, ask friends and family if they have an old Android phone that they don't use anymore, and load the analyzer there. Even an old phone will do.

Quite frankly, while I know about this stuff as I've done it to optimize my home WiFi, I never tried it with the P3S, so I can't say if or how much it helps. But I know you're trying to squeeze every last feet of range from your P3S, so it's something worth exploring: it does make sense from a technical standpoint, and it's pretty straightforward and harmless.

Thanks buddy :)

Wonder if any people know for sure, like what are the facts in what affcets the range of our drones?
Fly according to the law. You should have a good view of your UAV at all times. That's the range.

Fly according to the law. You should have a good view of your UAV at all times. That's the range.
Different countries have different laws.

And the P3S has such limited range --- especially in a congested Wi-Fi environment --- this discussion is perfectly valid.

I never understand why people post things like this???

It's not helpful one bit.

P.s my eyes are so good I can see my drone 2 miles away at 400 ft altitude.

Well matey mostly because in the UK the limits are 400ft up and 500m out (not 1868m) irrespective of how good your eyesight is. Since any Phantom will do this, you don't have a range problem.

Well matey mostly because in the UK the limits are 400ft up and 500m out (not 1868m) irrespective of how good your eyesight is. Since any Phantom will do this, you don't have a range problem.

Well matey, the law in the U.K. Actually doesn't state what range you can or can not fly at. So not sure where you got 500m out from??? It simply states " always keep your drone in sight"

Check out the facts.

Drone code | Dronesafe

Sorry. You're right. Nothing in the Air Navigation order about horizontal limits. Which made me wonder where I got the 500m from. Turns out it is a limitation for CAA approval submission for PFCO. So if you're flying for fun not an issue, but for commercial operations it is a limit. Sorry again.

Reactions: Dazzauk
Sorry. You're right. Nothing in the Air Navigation order about horizontal limits. Which made me wonder where I got the 500m from. Turns out it is a limitation for CAA approval submission for PFCO. So if you're flying for fun not an issue, but for commercial operations it is a limit. Sorry again.

To be honest the 400ft altitude limit actually scares me. Quite frequently I have airplanes fly over my house and I swear they are lower than 400ft.
But they are huge so maybe it's a deception lol.

To be honest the 400ft altitude limit actually scares me. Quite frequently I have airplanes fly over my house and I swear they are lower than 400ft.
But they are huge so maybe it's a deception lol.
Yeah - know the feeling. I live in Aberdeen which has one of the busiest heliport in the world and some of them are definitely coming in below 400 ft.

Yeah - know the feeling. I live in Aberdeen which has one of the busiest heliport in the world and some of them are definitely coming in below 400 ft.

I bet there some great scenery in Aberdeen :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT