Factual information on range please?

Reaction score
Wonder if any people know for sure, like what are the facts in what affcets the range of our drones?

Wondering if someone who is cleverer than me could maybe look at these two pics and maybe have any clue as to why my range was so different?

log2.png

log1.png

Last edited:
Range is affected, to some degree, by:

Weather, Solar Events, largely by Buildings/Trees/Mountains, and local WiFi interference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 120CCPM
without going into deep physics........RF of any freq is affected by lots of things........at 4000', you have exceeded the spec of 500 meters for the P3S by 100%.

I have the DBS installed :)

i was getting 6100 ft

Don't forget antenna orientation, especially with that DBS!

lol tell me about it. Last night I was trying my hardest to point it at the bird 4000ft away lol

Also though shouldn't you be able to bounce the signal off of buildings and chimneys?

Also though shouldn't you be able to bounce the signal off of buildings and chimneys?

Just like
Every 'bounce' absorbs energy, more bounces less signal strength.........:)

Even thought we are talking RF we are always talking about ENERGY. Just like a bouncing ball with each bounce you get less momentum and less bounce until all energy is gone and the balls rolls to a stop.

lol tell me about it. Last night I was trying my hardest to point it at the bird 4000ft away lol

Im fairly new to all of this so I hear you, I also run a DBS. A strap to support the controller is almost crucial. Once you get it figured out it's pretty amazing.. 10000' and counting [emoji41]

Reactions: Dazzauk
Im fairly new to all of this so I hear you, I also run a DBS. A strap to support the controller is almost crucial. Once you get it figured out it's pretty amazing.. 10000' and counting [emoji41]

teach me master yoda please lol

seriously any tips then?

teach me master yoda please lol

seriously any tips then?
Haha no master here...

I think there is a learning curve, especially with the DBS on keeping it pointed. For me, it wasn't untill I started using the neck strap to support the controller that I started seeing better results.

The strap supports the controller as I hold it to my stomach. I turn my whole body for side to side movement and just tilt the controller up and down. Keeps it super solid.

Think of a gun mounted to a turret, the gun is mounted solid. It moves because the turret moves. You are the turret and the controller is the gun.

But remember, if you are flying in a area with a bunch if interference nothing is going to help you with range. Same setup near the city only gets 5000' if im LUCKY.

Last edited:
As someone else just told you, radio transmissions are affected by a number of environmental factors. You can try to explain some of them, but the reality is that you can do absolutely nothing about it. Even in the same exact location, things change: most days your TV can tune on channel 104, one day it cannot. Most days your phone has 5 bars inside your house, some days it has only 2.
Asking "why I only reached 6000ft on flight B when on flight A I reached 15000ft" is the wrong way to approach this. The right way is "On flight A, location/conditions were perfect and I was able to reach 15000ft, on flight B location/conditions were much worse and I only made it to 6000ft.". And guess what? On flight C, you might get 10000ft.
Now, if you CONSISTENTLY get less range than what others CONSISTENTLY get, then you might have a problem with your equipment. But - as you just discovered - the very same equipment in the hands of the very same operator can give you radically different results, so you should not be so obsessed about this range thing.

One more comment: you're posting everywhere questions related to range, and you're always very anxious to get immediate results from every mod you make or trick you learn.
If you want to properly compare things before/after a mod, at the very least try to minimize the variables: always start with AC/RC fully charged, pick an isolated place without too many obstacles (e.g. a large lake), repeat the same flight (if you use Litchi, a "test mission" would be ideal) at least 3 times, and average the results. Do the mod, 3 more flights (same spot and same flight path, of course), average, compare.

One more comment: you're posting everywhere questions related to range, and you're always very anxious to get immediate results from every mod you make or trick you learn.
If you want to properly compare things before/after a mod, at the very least try to minimize the variables: always start with AC/RC fully charged, pick an isolated place without too many obstacles (e.g. a large lake), repeat the same flight (if you use Litchi, plan a "test mission") at least 3 times, and average the results. Do the mod, 3 more flights (same spot and same flight path, of course), average, compare.

will do!

Just buy phantom p. Or a 4 these are called p3 standard for a reason, what I did was to learn a lot then move on, it's a bit like having an old Bm and putting some new 2017 model wheels on it,

Reactions: Buk
Excellent posts! I also run a dbs. I am also using the Icarus app for Android. This enables 27db 2.4 gig rc and ac tx signal. (video downlink only) Since I live in the states, 27db is already the norm (FCC mode) BUT, You can also change the tx wifi channel! Perfect for wifi congested areas! I use channels 3 and 9 in my neighborhood. Now for the CE users at 17db, this an awesome increase. Easier to use than Magic Power. No pc needed, but Icarus will cost you $5.99.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl