FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to wait to register till the last second. I've been an AMA member in the past when I used to fly fixed wing. Maybe some enterprising lawyer will call this FAA thing what it is and find a way to stop the knee jerk reaction of this new world we seem to be living in. I don't mind following rules and laws, but I do mind the paranoia that seems to exist anymore. I'd like to reduce my personal target size as much as possible - if I do register or just sell my UAVs to avoid expanding that target, this will be my choice.

Sent from my PT beating heart

Yes. And, in most cases, I think it will stay intact. I haven't seen any cases where a Phantom crashed, burst into a ball of fire, and was reduced to ashes. It's possible, but certainly not the norm.

A. That would depend on how the registration number is affixed
B. Assuming the "issue" is a basic, fall out of the sky crash. If the issue is impact with a jet engine or prop of a Cessna, it's a different story.

Can you show fact that someone who causes a horrific accident will be registered? NO. Especially if that was their intent.
Right. This registration process will never stop those kind of people.

You can quote a viewpoint from an entity such as the FAA does not mean that it's fact. Yes it is fact that It is "their" opinion as to why they want to impose this.yet NO fact that it works.
Attaching a registration number to a drone will allow it to be easily tracked back to the owner. It's a fact.

......it is also not the norm for someone trying to commit a horrible accident to go and register themselves.
Most people who commit horrible accidents are not trying do it -- hence the term accident. You can focus on extremes all day here, but it won't change the fact that attaching a registration number to a drone will allow it to be easily traced back to the owner in most cases. It seems like you're just here to troll. No?

This is not correct. All UAVs including hobbyist drones for which require only the owner to be registered ARE required to carry a sticker or other visible evidence containing the registrant's ID number

"Subpart C – Aircraft Marking

§ 48.200 General.

(a) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft registered in accordance with this part unless the aircraft displays a unique identifier in accordance with the requirements of
§ 48.205 of this subpart.

(b) A unique identifier is one of the following:

(1) The registration number issued to an individual or the registration number issued to the aircraft by the Registry upon completion of the registration process provided by this part; or

(2) If authorized by the Administrator and provided with the application for Certificate of Aircraft Registration under § 48.100 of this part, the small unmanned aircraft serial number.

§ 48.205 Display and location of unique identifier.

(a) The unique identifier must be maintained in a condition that is legible.

(b) The unique identifier must be affixed to the small unmanned aircraft by any means necessary to ensure that it will remain affixed for the duration of each operation.

(c) The unique identifier must be readily accessible and visible upon inspection of the small unmanned aircraft. A unique identifier enclosed in a compartment is readily accessible if it can be accessed without the use of any tool. "
Soooo based on this Description... (c) the identifying number could be inside the battery well... "accessed without the use of any tool" so just put the identification on your batteries... wallah!

Classic government action - everybody registers, EXCEPT the bad guys. Oh, there is probably a different site for them to register their "birds" - LOL LOL. Just like gun control, everybody registers EXCEPT the bad guys. Give me a frickin' break. How about the RC cars - they need a site to register them as well! Watch TV - these things can carry a bunch of "bad stuff". Plus, then the cops can fly their drones looking for RC cars - and write tickets too - ha ha ha. They can hover their drone (looking for bad guys) while eating donuts! How about just having the cops and FBI chase the frickin' bad guys and forget about this government overstep BS which will NEVER be a part of catching a bad guy - geesh. Mark my words, you will never read "Terrorist caught with an unregistered Phantom".

Reactions: NormanNormal
Most people who commit horrible accidents are not trying do it -- hence the term accident. You can focus on extremes all day here, but it won't change the fact that attaching a registration number to a drone will allow it to be easily traced back to the owner in most cases. It seems like you're just here to troll. No?
Based on what your saying....sounds like we need insurance....not registration then.

Troll? So does that make you a troll with vender next to it? Just because I don't agree with you, 1st thing you do is call someone a troll. NO, I'm sorry there's NO proof that registration will stop accidents. Not to mention, the validity of FAA trying to do this. (At least till Congress makes it law)

Based on what your saying....sounds like we need insurance
Yes, it would be a good idea to have insurance too. That's for a completely different purpose though.

I emailed the FAA about this and the 333 Exemption. They informed me that if you have or are thinking about getting a 333 Exemption, you are not to file for this registration. Does anyone else have any information about this. I guess there is a different registration that must be done on their forms and mailed in, there is no online method.

I emailed the FAA about this and the 333 Exemption. They informed me that if you have or are thinking about getting a 333 Exemption, you are not to file for this registration. Does anyone else have any information about this.
In that case, you'll have an N number on the exterior of your drone. You don't need both.

You wrote...
If a drone causes a horrific accident and it can be easily traced back to the owner, how does that not make things safer?
This does NOT make it safer. Only an "attempt" to have a paper trail back to the owner to prosecute if needbe. Most of these high quality drones like mine all ready has a black box per say in it which is much better than some number would ever do.

You wrote...
This does NOT make it safer. Only an "attempt" to have a paper trail back to the owner to prosecute if needbe. Most of these high quality drones like mine all ready has a black box per say in it which is much better than some number would ever do.
It would do two things. First, most people are going to make a conscious effort to fly safer since they know their drone is tagged with their registration number. Second, for those who cannot figure out how to fly safely, they will be easily contactable to remedy whatever accident they caused -- and, either educated or prohibited from flying again. Unfortunately, a black box does not tell you who is flying a drone.

It would do two things. First, most people are going to make a conscious effort to fly safer since they know their drone is tagged with their registration number. Second, for those who cannot figure out how to fly safely, they will be easily contactable to remedy whatever accident they caused -- and, either educated or prohibited from flying again.
No, they will just register and NOT put the number on the drone if they push it.
And once again, this registration does NOTHING for education, or safety. NOTHING. All it does is give an attempt to track back to the owner for law suits.
Have you ever flown your Drone at your house or residence? Might be a tip. Although black box isn't perfect, it still does much more than any number will.

No, they will just register and NOT put the number on the drone if they push it.
I'm not following. Why would anyone do this? The FAA does not know you own a drone unless you're out flying it and someone sees you or finds it.

I'm not following. Why would anyone do this? The FAA does not know you own a drone unless you're out flying it and someone sees you or finds it.
That's my point. I'm not trying to be mean but no your not following. I ALWAYS think safety when I fly. This registration is supposed to make things safer. For once try to put yourself in a position of someone who is careless or doesn't mind if or wants to do harm.
Yet it could open the door for innocent people to be drug into law suits, etc. (And this is based on the database of numbers held by FAA)

Wait until DJi requires you to enter your registration number into the app. It will then cross reference that number with the FAA database and only allow you to fly when it verifies the registration number with your P3 serial number. LOL

That's why I have a Android device that has a good working version of the app and does not connect to the internet. No more upgrading for me.

Wait until DJi requires you to enter your registration number into the app. It will then cross reference that number with the FAA database and only allow you to fly when it verifies the registration number with your P3 serial number. LOL

That's why I have a Android device that has a good working version of the app and does not connect to the internet. No more upgrading for me.
+1

Riddle me this..... if it's such a great idea for safety, why is the AMA for 1 asking members to hold off? Aren't they into safety?

This registration is supposed to make things safer.
Agreed. And, it will. For the reasons I stated above.

For once try to put yourself in a position of someone who is careless
I don't think the average drone owner wants to be careless. They are uneducated and don't think twice about doing things like flying over crowds of people, flying long-range flights via FPV, etc.

or doesn't mind if or wants to do harm
There's no way to easily stop those people. They probably won't register either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94