FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just more tax payer dollars up in smoke. With all the pressing issues that actually pose a real danger to people, this is what they chose to act on?
I smell something fishy. I guess if you follow the dollars and find out who put the system and network together for registering the millions of R/C fliers you will most likely find some interesting connections and insider payoffs. The end of public comments was in early November and now they already have this ready to roll out. That should tell anyone with half a brain there is a crook in the wood work. The Affordable Heath Care Website took Uncle Sam years to be put together and I am supposed to believe this was done in just a month? I was born at night, but not last night. I for one am going to contact as many media people as I can, hopefully I can find a real reporter, in an attempt to get someone to investigate and report on how this all came together and who is profiting from it. Somewhere there is a rat in the wood pile.
Rat in the woodpile, eh? Never heard it that way! ;)

Thats because you were under the .55lb limit... er I mean 50cc limit. Same diff. :)
In NY you need to register it but you don't need a motorcycle endorsement.
I bought one of these so I can keep flying legal! :D ONAGOfly Quad Only 140g
If only the government would move so quickly to stop people from spraying bullets into crowds. :rolleyes:
No doubt the market will now quickly focus on all the technology they can cram into a .55 pound bird. DJI will be offering P3P Mini's!

Keep in mind it is not a final rule (an interim rule until comment period ends), I would suggest people opposed file comments on the register when it is available, I can not find it yet. I hope someone sues to stop this....and will put off registration as long as I can....come on AMA!!! The docket number is FAA-2015-7396 and the website for comment is Regulations.gov. It may be worth emailing the AMA asking them to represent us and file suit. I am against it because it is pointless bureaucratic waste of time and money, ours and taxpayers...In how many incidents were they unable to track down the person responsible?
Be careful what you ask for, The AMA is already trying to cut their own deal, by working behind closed doors, lobbying, to still convince the FAA to let them use their AMA numbers so they don't have register! They are not your friends!:eek: Read the AMA email posted here in this thread that was sent out to their members today!

For me, this hits the nail on the head. The AMA doesn't represent me, a non-traditional hobbyist "little people". By differentiating traditional and non-traditional the power of the AMA did not prevent the DOT/FAA from lumping us all together.
The AMA got what they deserved! They tried to make us sacrificial lambs to protect their own skins. FAA saw right through them! :p

Funny thing is, I can almost guarantee when they find that crashed quad in the active stadium they won't be finding a registration number anywhere on it.
They will, if the pilot was trying to frame someone else for their nefarious acts!:eek:

i'm seriously confused about one thing that stuck out to me in the FAQ section...

If the registration follows the person and not the aircraft, why are they suggesting it's ok for someone to use your registration when they are using it? That completely subverts what they are trying to do- and also allows for the bad actor framing scenarios that people were complaining were not possible/plausible.

(sarcasm)
I can fake a certificate and claim to be borrowing someone else's airframe when i oopsied and smashed into a school. Oh- i'm sorry officer, i didn't know gasoline and matches weren't a good idea to load as cargo- it's not like i registered and looked at all the warnings, i'm just borrowing it.

We should all just register as phantompilots.com and then "borrow" the registration whenever someone flies.
(/sarcasm)
So, because of the actions of a very small minority, the vast majority who are safe, sane, and cause no problems have to deal with this crap? Sorry, I think that is the wrong way to go about it. Makes as much sense as requiring an ignition interlock in every car because some people might drive under the influence.

I put my name and phone on the bird with a big "REWARD" sticker because if I lose my $1200 toy, I want some chance of getting it back.

This doesn't accomplish anything except give the bureaucrats the claim they did something when all they did was put words on paper and spend money. Only idiots think someone is going to follow a registration rule that will get them pinched when they break a law.

If I decided that for some reason I needed to land on the south lawn of the White House or hover over final approach at LAX, I think it is a safe bet I am not putting my name and phone number on the bird or registering it either.
People complaining about the $5.00 fee... it's for THREE YEARS... are you kidding me? That's less than .005 cents a day.... come on... you just spent that much on your mocha latte this morning....

If you are a liberal and voted for Obama, you probably support the registeration.
If you are a freedom loving American, you are against.
Does that pretty much sum it up?

Is that avatar absolutely necessary? If you're trying to get under the skin of the moderators on this forum, you're well on your way. Please hop off the soap box and let's get back to our regularly scheduled program...

Thanks...
-slinger

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod and Meta4
About the time it was reported that Amazon was going to possibly use drones to deliver I thought here we go again. Ham radio has fought for years to keep their frequency spectrum due to companies wanting to make money with them. I fear that again things are not how they appear. Due to greed, politics again, is showing its ugly face.

I know safety is first with most of us, but if anyone thinks that this registration is about safety you're living in a world of fantasy. It's more about large companies pushing the hobby guy into his back yard so they can have free rein in the future and we will be out of their way. Again it's politics and greed my friends. There's a bigger picture if you get further back so you can see it!

I get so damned tired of these bastards selling the public some BS in the name of safety when it's really because of some hidden agenda or because of public pressure. The lying bastards. I'm 60 years old and I don't trust the damned government one bit. This is based on experience.

For one, I'm out of the game. And for the hobby and the business, I hope it last, but it won't if all just set on their hands. Look at DJI, they've been in bed with them all the time, not to mention some of the dealers!

Rant over

If you are a liberal and voted for Obama, you probably support the registeration.
If you are a freedom loving American, you are against.
Does that pretty much sum it up?
Registeration? Thanks for helping the cause.

I didn't think it was possible, but this situation with the faa/quads and this thread has lowered my opinion of democracy, humans and the USA even further. We are too accustom to letting the authorities stick their nose into our business, they need to be watched over and put into check way too often themselves to have any say in my life. Democracy only works for egotistical busy bodies, no amount of voting will ever fix human nature.
The faa will be devoured by a school of sharks while frying a pan of bream and it's going to be funny to watch...

It's all BS! The way this is set up, it's like a national firearms registry. They just want to know WHO operates a drone since all my drones/RC planes/helicopters will have the same number.

Face it. They think we are stupid, the operator is the one being registered.

Reactions: aka1ceman
Dixie, cause the 70 degree weather had them bitting last Sunday!:)
girl crying.jpg

JKDS .. You need to read and understand posts more rather than just seeing them as an opportunity to push your ideology and get argumentative with anyone that disagrees with it.
Very few people here are defending the new registration. Most can see it achieves absolutely nothing.
But they can also see your ridiculous hyperbole for what it is.

You really need to get things in perspective and ease up on the drama.
I wouldn't worry about people with this m/o. They like to troll through different websites trying to start arguments. Occasionally they get lucky, but for the most part, the vast majority of users see them for what they are.

Reactions: N017RW
Wonder what took them so long, I wonder how many folks will bite at this. And as usual the government is about to make a ton of money. I believe it's a good start but it will be a bad ending. There will be folks out there that will not comply. Those are the ones that will make drone flying hard for others. What's the good about this is those folks that refuse to fly there drone in safe open places and think they are immune to do whatever, like getting in the way of firefighters, and flying around airports etc. Those folks that fly around those places no that they are wrong.
And to be honest you folks that think you are so good at flying those drones in those areas are really not that good at all. Just daredevils!
So the new law on the surface sounds bad, but in reality I believe it will keep most folks honest.
I live about 9 miles from the airport, and even then there will be low flying planes that need a runway and will fly low over my house to land, maybe 1500 feet or more. Believe me when I say I don't even look at my drone to fly. I don't want to be in a conversation about someone saw a drone in the area, even at ten miles away.
So I can look at this in two ways, one, there are to many fools out there flying, or two, the government is looking to a way to make some money. Could be both.
Robert

The FAA first put together a task force of different stakeholders to figure out a reasonable registration solution.
Twenty-five organizations were represented, including drone manufacturers (DJI, 3D Robotics), professional organizations (Air Line Pilots Association, International Association of Chiefs of Police), and retailers (Walmart, Amazon). The only organization on the list that I recognized as a representative of modelers is the Academy of Model Aeronautics.
We quad-system flyers are just a herd of cats who can't seem to organize ourselves in a year - knowing this was coming. But we can certainly fill 30 web pages of bitching and moaning in a hurry.

The role of the task force was to (quickly) provide recommendations regarding how to shape and execute a much-needed registration policy.
I agree that rogue drone flyers are a real problem that must be addressed. Done correctly, registration could be a part of the solution. But make NO mistake .... we have morons out here flying quads into 300 year old church stained-glass windows, and crashing into stadium crowds. They are NOT good for a free society.
We are very quick to rebel when there is a need to do something to fix a problem, but look the other way as the problem becomes untenable.
I am playing, and I'm turning in anyone who I see without a registration.

Let this sink in for a moment...
It seems ridiculous on the surface, but consider this - in the event of a crash, it will be easy to find the operator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl