FAA New Information for Hobby Drone Operators

Here is the "UnDigested" version so you can read exactly how it's worded in the Registry:

Highlights:

Recreational flying in controlled airspace now restricted to established flying sites. Altitude caps in accordance with UASFM maps.

LAANC for recreation later this summer. Same altitude restrictions on UASFM after that.

400-foot cap in Class G airspace, no further authorization needed regardless of distance from airports.

No fixed sites within 2 miles of closest runway point in controlled airspace unless approved by the FAA. Less than 200 currently noted in the US (193 actually).

Reactions: TheKestrel
The highlights here are a bit disconcerting however. Possibly, no flights without an observer? ( The manner of the wording ).

LINE OF SIGHT.PNG

The highlights here are a bit disconcerting however. Possibly, no flights without an observer? ( The manner of the wording ).

View attachment 111299

FPV in this sense refers to using goggles, and I think is specifically addressing FPV drone racing.

Reactions: Mauiskye
FPV in this sense refers to using goggles,
I tend to agree here....however, the term " FPV" is very broad.....And can include visual flying such as tablets and phones in the manner that this is worded.

Reactions: Phill2
I tend to agree here....however, the term " FPV" is very broad.....And can include visual flying such as tablets and phones in the manner that this is worded.

Yes - but the second part of the sentence you highlighted is key - "which allow a view from an onboard camera but limit the operator's ability to scan the surrounding airspace." A screen display doesn't limit that ability - goggles do.

Reactions: Mauiskye
Yes - but the second part of the sentence you highlighted is key - "which allow a view from an onboard camera but limit the operator's ability to scan the surrounding airspace." A screen display doesn't limit that ability - goggles do.

It does if you take your eyes off the drone to look at it.
Very open to interpretation as are most laws.

A screen display doesn't limit that ability - goggles do.
I completely agree on the goggles. But the remaining part still is a mystery. This would depend on how the FAA would determine the statement. An "FPV" device will take your direct eyes from the aircraft. That is the manner I read this.
( Not a direct quote but IMO)

It does if you take your eyes off the drone to look at it.
Very open to interpretation as are most laws.

That's a silly interpretation. You are not required to look at the screen anymore than you are required to look at anything else in your field of view. This was specifically included to allow FPV drone racing.

I completely agree on the goggles. But the remaining part still is a mystery. This would depend on how the FAA would determine the statement. An "FPV" device will take your direct eyes from the aircraft. That is the manner I read this.
( Not a direct quote but IMO)

Which remaining part?

That's a silly interpretation. You are not required to look at the screen anymore than you are required to look at anything else in your field of view. This was specifically included to allow FPV drone racing.

As I said it's ambiguous.
A screen is an FPV device.

As I said it's ambiguous.
A screen is an FPV device.

These forums sure do bring out some bizarre ideas. It's not even remotely ambiguous because the screen, itself, doesn't limit your ability to see the aircraft and its surroundings, but if you insist on being confused then I'm not going to try any further to talk you out of it.

On this forum we have many views. I find it quite condescending to a person when someone else says their interpretation is silly.
Condescending: having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority.

On this forum we have many views. I find it quite condescending to a person when someone else says their interpretation is silly.
Condescending: having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority.

Silly: having or showing a lack of common sense or judgment; absurd and foolish
Feel free to suggest a better word.

Silly: having or showing a lack of common sense or judgment; absurd and foolish
Feel free to suggest a better word.
How about I don't agree with your interpretation or not say anything at all. So many on this forum make direct condescending "patronizing, supercilious, superior, snobbish, snobby, scornful, disdainful, lofty, lordly, haughty, imperious; " statements to those who have a different opinion.
I just hate when people are degraded for making a statement. Maybe because of my daughter's disabilities and my working with other's like her. They have something to say. I try to treat them with respect even if sometimes I think what they have to say is silly. Some people with disabilities try harder than most. Other times I see people of great intelligence lack in so many ways. I believe we all are handicap in ways that are blind to us. We want respect, we need to show respect. I admit, I'm less patient with those who should know.

It's not even remotely ambiguous because the screen, itself, doesn't limit your ability to see the aircraft and its surroundings
Completely correct. The screen does not limit your ability to see the aircraft, however it does limit your ability to " Have your eyes on the aircraft at all times".......that is remaining part. Until the FAA can come up with a more clear understanding in verbiage ....there will be many interpretations.

How about I don't agree with your interpretation or not say anything at all. So many on this forum make direct condescending "patronizing, supercilious, superior, snobbish, snobby, scornful, disdainful, lofty, lordly, haughty, imperious; " statements to those who have a different opinion.
I just hate when people are degraded for making a statement. Maybe because of my daughter's disabilities and my working with other's like her. They have something to say. I try to treat them with respect even if sometimes I think what they have to say is silly. Some people with disabilities try harder than most. Other times I see people of great intelligence lack in so many ways. I believe we all are handicap in ways that are blind to us. We want respect, we need to show respect. I admit, I'm less patient with those who should know.

If you choose to take the characterization of a statement as equivalent to characterization of a person - i.e. an ad hominem response, then you misunderstand the entire concept of debate.

Completely correct. The screen does not limit your ability to see the aircraft, however it does limit your ability to " Have your eyes on the aircraft at all times".......that is remaining part. Until the FAA can come up with a more clear understanding in verbiage ....there will be many interpretations.

No - it's entirely your personal choice to look away from the aircraft. You could easily watch it for the entire duration of the flight, since there is no need to look at the screen to fly the aircraft. That's why a VO is optional except for FPV operations - the case where you cannot watch the aircraft directly.

That's why a VO is optional except for FPV operations - the case where you cannot watch the aircraft directly.
I guess we will have to wait and see if they change the word "limit" to "inhibit"..........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.