FAA heliports

I've read the thread. Is the consensus that you do not have to contact heliports? I am over a mile away from two of them when I fly, and over 5 miles from an airport.

is their presence in the b4ufly app merely to be aware?

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I think the consensus is - you are required to fly responsibly.

That is obvious, at least to me. The question remains, do you need to contact heliports in order to be flying responsibly?

You cannot even download the app if you have a Canadian Android device, but you can fly a drone with FAA registration as a foreigner. It shows you how short sighted the agency is.

For me it it has proven difficult to contact heliports. These are usually more difficult to contact than airport control towers. Trying to find the right person with authority is practically impossible. Most of them rarely fly in my area anyway, and I believe many in my area or old heliport approvals that no longer operate at all. There's been no clear answer to this question that I have seen, it's only implied to treat them as small airports by conservative minds. I'm overly cautious, if I see a NFZ in Airmap based on a heliport, that helps my awareness, triggering me to watch the area for a few days before I fly. I note the patterns they fly and simply make sure I'm set no higher than 250' AGL for RTH, and fly at about 100 AGL or less. However, I don't fly in heliport NFZ's unless there's a compelling reason, such as a recent weekend trip to an Island that had a heliport on the east end of the island, within 5mi. It was easy to see their flight pattern, which was no conflict with my flight plans flying over the marina mooring areas. No helicopter would be flying as low as I was flying, unless they are crashing, or special emergency, which I'd see anyway and leave.

I'm hoping FAA will someday create a website with a nationwide list of phone numbers for airport towers and heliports that we can use to contact airport flight authorities to gain approvals. Today this isn't very easy, and it should be, for safety's sake.

Last edited:
I usually record a NOTAM on the FAA website under the UAS tab the day before I plan to fly. You put in your operational coordinates and a flying radius in miles. It will draw a nice ring on the NOTAM map to let pilots know of UAV activity. I put in SFC to 400 feet AGL. This shows up in the "Notices to Airmen a.k.a., NOTAM" system that pilots are to consult per FAA regulations prior to flying. I am not sure how effective it is because even the pros like our local Savannah based Coast Guard Helicopter pilots still routinely buzz my neighborhood at 300 feet during their routine proficiency flights. I am certain, that having recorded a valid NOTAM in the FAA system, it would show due diligence on my part, and negligence on the part of pilots that ignored the NOTAM. I also have a transponder receiver which shows me the range and altitude of any transponder equipped approaching aircraft within 5 miles. This helps give me an early warning of aircraft in the area. It is amazing how many illegal low altitude hedge hoppers we have in our coastal, marsh areas, and altitude restricted wildlife preserves.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: mmtphoto and Ike
If the FAA wants us to contact airport controllers to give notification (or get permission), when are they going to provide the tower phone numbers to the public? You know they have this kind of list available. Doesn't it make sense to make that public to increase efficiency of the integration program?

The FAA made a "Rule" that discloses all 333 exemption owners address and phone#, AND THE CRAFT THEY OWN! It seems logical they reciprocate and provide RC pilots with all flight tower addresses and phone#s in the same way, on the internet with a search tool specifically for this purpose.

I agree there are no public phone book listings for ATC facilities. This is for security reasons because of 9-11. There is a search tool for this purpose and it has a new name: US Charts Supplements. It use to be called the Airport Facility Directory (AFD). Bookmark this link: Chart Supplements – Basic Search You will need the official airport identifier, Google is your friend in finding that. After entering the airport ID, two clickable links appear to the right of the returned table, both will provide more information than you need. The farthest right link will provide an airport managers phone number, be careful, if the airport has an FAA tower, they are the ones that require notification, not the manager, he/she may not be FAA...I hope this helps

B4UFly is an app, not a regulation. I find it very useful but it has 'bugs'. At my location it tells me I need 'permission' to operate my sUAS because of a heliport. FAA AC91 57A, which is an advisory document reflecting on Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 In Section 336 (a) 5 states:

(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation...(emphasis is mine)

An airport is not, and has never been, a heliport! You don't need to provide notice to a heliport operator, never mind obtain permission if operating under section 336. Let me provide you with some reinforcement to my interpretation. SEC. 334. PUBLIC UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS Section 334 (c)(2)(C)(v) "outside of 5 statute miles from any airport, heliport, seaplane base, spaceport, or other location with aviation activities."
This section explicitly differentiates between an airport and heliport, seaplane base, etc.. As far as this law is concerned, they are 2 different entities, airplanes cannot successfully land at a heliport. Section 334 concerns Public UAS, not model aircraft, it is only being used as an example here. A public UAS is one that is operated by public agencies, i.e.: the police, customs, etc.. In other words Public Law 112-95 differentiates between airport and heliport. Section 336, which falls under Public Law 112-95, only states airport. This is the section we are concerned with.

Why all the confusion? Someone made a misinterpretation of Public Law 112-95 and implemented the error into the B4UFLY app. If you want to contact the FAA for a clearer interpretation, good luck, please report back with the FAA official's credentials. We are dealing with Federal Law here, not an FAA officials interpretation. The real interpretation comes from a Federal court, God help you if you ever need that clarification.

What about the guy in LA that got arrested for flying too close to the LAPD's helipad?

I have a heliport 3.9 miles from me. It took awhile to find a phone # for them. I call a lady answered I told her that I had a drone that I intended to fly she told me I could fly any time and asked how I got their phone # I told her she said it was unlisted and pretty much said not to use it anymore.

What about the guy in LA that got arrested for flying too close to the LAPD's helipad?

LAPD Hooper is a heliport. It has a tower. It's very busy. I don't know if this was the same guy. There has been more than one arrest. In one case, someone was at 1,000ft 1/4 mile from Hooper at sunset. Inbound heli had to go around to avoid it. That's really bad news. Whoever did that, I hope the FAA crush him.

It would be wise to stay well away from Hooper and any hospitals with helipads unless given prior clearance. And operating anywhere in LA, always expect helicopters at any altitude. Use buildings, etc. as cover. Don't be in open sky where you can't see a helicopter approaching. Listen. If you have a pilot's license, use a portable VHF to monitor the LA area CTAF.

Reactions: snowghost
LAPD Hooper is a heliport. It has a tower. It's very busy. I don't know if this was the same guy. There has been more than one arrest. In one case, someone was at 1,000ft 1/4 mile from Hooper at sunset. Inbound heli had to go around to avoid it. That's really bad news. Whoever did that, I hope the FAA crush him.

It would be wise to stay well away from Hooper and any hospitals with helipads unless given prior clearance. And operating anywhere in LA, always expect helicopters at any altitude. Use buildings, etc. as cover. Don't be in open sky where you can't see a helicopter approaching. Listen. If you have a pilot's license, use a portable VHF to monitor the LA area CTAF.

Hooper heliport does not have a tower. I am defining a tower as building with a FAA certified Air Traffic Controller operating it. Again, Hooper heliport does not have a tower. Which section of Part 336 did this pilot violate? I have reviewed the appropriate FAA publications and at 1000 feet, 1/4 mile from 4ACO (Hooper) and this operator was doing nothing wrong, as far as I can see, under section 336. As I stated before, a heliport is not an airport. He may have violated this section of part 336:

(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft

"Use buildings as cover"--
I have an issue with that approach; you are burying your head in the sand. I say go out and fly your UAS proudly, in public, for all the world to see. There is no reason to hide if you are following the regulations. Know the regulations, know the VFR sectionals, know the location of airports, study, study, and study some more.

"Don't be in the open sky where you can't see a helicopter approaching." -- The open sky is the best place to see a helicopter approaching, it has a better view point than 'using buildings as cover'.

"If you have a pilot's license, use a portable VHF..." -- You don't have to be a pilot to own a portable radio that monitors ATC radio frequencies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl