FAA 333

The video below is long, but very informative. It mentions the new rules being out this Spring.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After submitting my application on September 14th, then having it show up on regulations.org on November 19th, today I FINALLY got an email from the FAA... for some reason I forgot to put in the specs of my Phantom... D'OH!!!

So they asked me to update my Docket with that info, submit it, then email that confirmation number along with the info I submitted to the FAA. I just finished doing that... let's see how long it takes to hear from them now...

Reactions: Masonmedia
I am still waiting, wondering when they will respond.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

After submitting my application on September 14th, then having it show up on regulations.org on November 19th, today I FINALLY got an email from the FAA... for some reason I forgot to put in the specs of my Phantom... D'OH!!!

So they asked me to update my Docket with that info, submit it, then email that confirmation number along with the info I submitted to the FAA. I just finished doing that... let's see how long it takes to hear from them now...

I just got mine back as well. Unfortunately, I didn't know because I never got an email and it hadn't been posted. It only showed a comment that I couldn't view. I called and they posted it and I was approved. Not sure if that's good or bad. lol

I'm about ready to submit but I have a question. I've seen a lot of talk about the forms 1185 or 1188 (not sure if exact numbers). Does everyone have to submit these forms with the application or is it only if you are doin something extra such as a COA? I have the long verbiage already t go that explains everything I want the exception for. What additional documentation has to be submitted with this text document? Thanks in advance.

I just got mine back as well. Unfortunately, I didn't know because I never got an email and it hadn't been posted. It only showed a comment that I couldn't view. I called and they posted it and I was approved. Not sure if that's good or bad. lol

You called? Who did you call, and what's the number???

For those of you "Waiting" you'll want to check the APPROVED Exemptions section to see if your name pops up there. Keep in mind there is a HUGE delay in the "Public Docket Posting" process just like the delay from the time you submitted until it was first posted to the Public Docket.

Here's a link to ALL approved Section 333 Exemptions. Keep in mind this is NOT the public docket and this will show your approval within days where as the Public Docket system could literally take a couple of months.

Authorizations Granted Via Section 333 Exemptions

Reactions: ianwood
For those of you "Waiting" you'll want to check the APPROVED Exemptions section to see if your name pops up there. Keep in mind there is a HUGE delay in the "Public Docket Posting" process just like the delay from the time you submitted until it was first posted to the Public Docket.

Here's a link to ALL approved Section 333 Exemptions. Keep in mind this is NOT the public docket and this will show your approval within days where as the Public Docket system could literally take a couple of months.

Authorizations Granted Via Section 333 Exemptions

Yea, I check that one daily... :)

Reactions: BigAl07
on November 19th, today I FINALLY got an email from the FAA... for some reason I forgot to put in the specs of my Phantom... D'OH!!!

Funny, I submitted my application the day after yours was posted to the Docket. I check the 333 page every day for funsies, and it looks like they're keeping a consistent 170 days from submission date (not docket date). So I'm expecting mine to come in around May.
Sad to hear about having to submit more information, I looked up your application to compare with mine, and I only have the average speed, and weight listed. I did include a link to the DJI manual at the end of the application though. Do you mind me asking what information did you re-submit?

Funny, I submitted my application the day after yours was posted to the Docket. I check the 333 page every day for funsies, and it looks like they're keeping a consistent 170 days from submission date (not docket date). So I'm expecting mine to come in around May.
Sad to hear about having to submit more information, I looked up your application to compare with mine, and I only have the average speed, and weight listed. I did include a link to the DJI manual at the end of the application though. Do you mind me asking what information did you re-submit?

This is the exact text in the email I got:

Describe the aircraft make(s), model(s), and type(s)(i.e., fixed-wing, rotorcraft, lighter-than-air) for the proposed UAS operation. The description(s) should include the maximum weight (including payload) and power source (i.e. battery/gas/propane-powered). This information can be located in the aircraft manual(s).

So hopefully that's all they need...

This is the exact text in the email I got:

Describe the aircraft make(s), model(s), and type(s)(i.e., fixed-wing, rotorcraft, lighter-than-air) for the proposed UAS operation. The description(s) should include the maximum weight (including payload) and power source (i.e. battery/gas/propane-powered). This information can be located in the aircraft manual(s).

So hopefully that's all they need...

How many days, after your submission, before you got that? I'm curious if it was after the 60 public comment period?

Sagebrush

How many days, after your submission, before you got that? I'm curious if it was after the 60 public comment period?

Sagebrush

My application was submitted on September 14th, 2015... it appeared on the website on November 19th.... I got that email last Friday... I have NO clue when I'll hear back at this point... lol... you're guess is as good as mine...

Reactions: Sagebrush
So they asked me to update my Docket with that info, submit it, then email that confirmation number along with the info I submitted to the FAA.

Thank you for the useful information about the email they sent you. I might update my exemption before they have a chance to delay it further.
I'm curious about how you updated your docket, did you "click" comment on your file and then email them afterwards?
Was the email address, [email protected]?

Thank you for taking the time to answer.
-EoP

Thank you for the useful information about the email they sent you. I might update my exemption before they have a chance to delay it further.
I'm curious about how you updated your docket, did you "click" comment on your file and then email them afterwards?
Was the email address, [email protected]?

Thank you for taking the time to answer.
-EoP

Yes, and yes.

This is the rest of the email I received...

Please submit the additional information (non-proprietary) to your docket at www.regulations.gov. Once your information is submitted, please save your tracking number and submit your tracking number along with the information submitted to the docket, and any proprietary information electronically via e-mail to [email protected]. If you want us to process your request any further, we must receive the information described above by 03/18/16. If we do not receive the information, we will close the docket without notifying you further.

WOOO HOOOO!!!! I got my Exemption!!! :)

Funny, I actually found out by getting an email from an insurance guy that trolls the Approved Exemptions list. He found out before me because somehow my Approved list only showed up till 3/15, even when I checked about an hour ago. Got home from work, checked again, and it refreshed to 3/16, and there I was.... :)

Now I just need to wait for the "licensed pilot" rule to change and I'll be all set... lol...

Reactions: BigAl07

Funny, I actually found out by getting an email from an insurance guy that trolls the Approved Exemptions list. He found out before me because somehow my Approved list only showed up till 3/15, even when I checked about an hour ago. Got home from work, checked again, and it refreshed to 3/16, and there I was.... :)

Now I just need to wait for the "licensed pilot" rule to change and I'll be all set... lol...
Congrats man! I submitted mine this month. How long did you have to wait for it to be posted to Regulations.gov and how much afterwards until approved?

Great to hear! Congratulations! Good to hear that the request for more information didn't slow you down too much.
About that whole licensed pilot thing, I cannot recommend it enough if you have ever thought of learning to fly, do it! I got my PPL two years ago, and the only thing I regret is not doing it when I was 16. Joining my local Flying Club (which I'm now heavily involved in) made it MUCH more affordable to learn to fly, and to continue to fly. Let me know if you have any questions.

But, back on topic, congrats on your 333 exemption!

Congrats man! I submitted mine this month. How long did you have to wait for it to be posted to Regulations.gov and how much afterwards until approved?

It was received on September 14th, 2015, I did it online. It was posted on November 19th, and apparently was approved yesterday. About 3 weeks ago they did send me an email because I forgot to give them info about my Phantom, so I submitted a comment, but didn't hear back. So I had no clue what was happening. I didn't get anything in the mail yet, but I can see the approval letter online, and probably print it.

So I hope you aren't in a rush to get it... lol....

Great to hear! Congratulations! Good to hear that the request for more information didn't slow you down too much.
About that whole licensed pilot thing, I cannot recommend it enough if you have ever thought of learning to fly, do it! I got my PPL two years ago, and the only thing I regret is not doing it when I was 16. Joining my local Flying Club (which I'm now heavily involved in) made it MUCH more affordable to learn to fly, and to continue to fly. Let me know if you have any questions.

But, back on topic, congrats on your 333 exemption!

Thanks! I really can't afford to get a license right now, but it wouldn't be so bad to learn to fly a plane. Maybe if things work out in the future I'd try to swing it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic