External Antenna

jbb

Reaction score
Sorry if been asked/answered before but..
I have a cargo trailer that I would like to use as a command center for flying.
Any advice on hooking up external antennas for my transmitters and video receivers?
thanks

jbb said:
Sorry if been asked/answered before but..
I have a cargo trailer that I would like to use as a command center for flying.
Any advice on hooking up external antennas for my transmitters and video receivers?
thanks

A mobile command center.... love it ! It either sounds really covert/cool or rather dodgey! I hope you will have a hatch in the roof and an aircraft carrier style hydraulic lift that takes the Phantom up so you can launch from the roof :D

Seriously though you are creating a good few challenges there and you will have to shell out a bit I'd say to be safe to use this (I will cover the legal issue later).

I'd say first you need to buy a full range TX like the Futaba 8FG, T8J or Spektrum DX8i. This won't simply solve the problem as they will loose a LOT of signal in a trailer and be all but useless if it is mostly metal. To combat this maybe you'd want EzUHF. This plugs into the back of the TX via the buddy cable port and allow you will be able to mount the antenna (and maybe RX) externally. I would strongly advise you then buy or make a Cloverleaf antenna for this... Helical antenna will give you better range (like insane range never ever needed on a Phantom) but it won't do any favours if you fly behind the trailer whereas a cloverleaf will.
Next is the hurdle of FPV (kinda essential in a trailer!). For this you will need a good 5.8ghz setup and again cloverleaf/skew planar antenna. For this I'd advise you put the RX in a waterproof case, mounted externally with the video/audio output running into the trailer to a monitor or your goggles. That way you avoid running long antenna cables which, if not shieled well, will reduce signal strength. With the EzUHF I think you could create a long buddy cable and mount the EzUHF RX outside too.

Now the boring bit... if you can't see the Phantom you are breaking most aviation laws in most countries. You'd at least need a spotter on it to be safe. You won't get found out doing this unless something goes wrong but if (god forbid) it did, your trailer won't do you any favours as it wil clearly be capable of breaching those regulations.

Post some pics of the trailer as I'm sure we'd all have a blast seeing a project like this if you do take it on and can advise better with sight of it. :)

Thanks for advice.
Covert or cool? Not sure, but probably is crazy.

I would like video input from more than one drone. It just seems monitors inside shielded from bright sunlight will be best.

I never thought about placing the video receiver on the outside and running cables from there. Good idea, that should almost solve the video side.

It would be nice though to be able to actually have antenna extensions from my transmitters on the outside. (even if I upgrade transmitters).

thanks again

No probs... to be honest the options are limitless with stuff like this.

Start small with the Phantom and if it works well you could expand. EzUHF and a 600mw FPV with a helical antenna will get planes 5-10 miles (youtube Ibcrazy and watch some of the stuff he does). Its a grey area legally but a lot of fun to be had in open areas.

You really want to get the RX as far away from the trailer as you can (if metal that will be essential). A telescopic radio pole out of the top would be perfect with the video/power coiling down into the trailer.... plus you could make it rotate by hand from inside so as to be able to point it at the craft better with 360 degree rotation.... a lot of fun and money to be had :lol:

Keep us all posted on what you come up with.

Need range? This is my new project that I'm about to start assembly. Gonna have to guess what everything is :D

sorry for the bad pic, took it with my cell phone.

Attachments

• TBS disco.jpg
    TBS disco.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 854
Looks like a TBS Discovery pro frame and all the Naza kit to get it up and running to me! EzUHF on the right there with Diversity TX maybe? Not sure what the square GPS chip is mounted to the discovery frame? Interesting to see the Tarot gimbal box? I thought th TBS had a gimbal front mounted and an in built IMU (which may be the square chip? if not I assume that is EzOSD or something similar?).

Quite a weapon! How much did that little set of goodies cost you? I've heard they will do 15-20 mins on a 4s?

Naw just a TBS Discovery with core(not pro), Modified Tarot to be mounted in the front,(don't like the Pro, too much integrated into the PCB.) EZUHF system, TBS modified Lawmate 2G4 Rx video, 1000mw Lawmate 2G4 Tx video(might get a lower power one if it affects other systems), EZOSD with 100 amp current sensor, T-motors MT2216-11, DJI black arms, 2) nano tech 4S 4500 batteries, NAZA V1. Much of it was purchased from members on RCgroups forum.

As for the gimbal, I purchased an extra mount, then cut it down. Can be seen attached to the vibration isolation plate next to box. It will fit nicely, however I still may just CNC out a new rear mount to replace the 2 front standoffs.

nothing mounted just laid out for the picture

Very nice kit!

Yeah 1000mw is a little OTT for a quad of any kind. Properly tuned that could do like 50 miles :lol: Will look forward to seeing it all together.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20