Expecting Trouble is a Safe Way to Fly

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
This article was written for the Public Safety crowd but it applies 100% to anyone (or it should) flying sUAS and even MORE so for those of us who are flying professionally.

Expecting Trouble is a Safe Way to Fly

This article was written for the Public Safety crowd but it applies 100% to anyone (or it should) flying sUAS and even MORE so for those of us who are flying professionally.

BigAl,
This is an outstanding introduction for any new op, and an excellent refresher for anyone who has been flying for any length of time. It helped to reinforce my perspective, "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best". Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: BigAl07
So much very relevant information in that article. The author's recommendation to include your contact information on your drone cannot be underestimated, although I fear that many ops don't give that any serious thought until AFTER they experience a fly-away situation. In a temporary moment of sanity last spring, I added my contact information on a label, slapped it on the belly of my Phantom, and kind of forgot about it. As luck would have it, I experienced a fly-away event of sorts last summer some 3000' out and 300 feet over a large river when the bird suddenly disconnected from the controller and completely disappeared from the app map. After spending considerable time and effort trying to reconnect and locate the drone, I finally had to give up when it got dark and drive the long 3 hours home with an empty drone case. Long story short, someone found my drone, saw my contact information, called me, and I was eventually reunited with my baby. I know this for certain: had my contact information not been on my drone, I never would have recovered my drone, and this story would have had a much sadder ending (for me). OK, I'm done. Thanks for allowing me to hijack your very relevant thread.

Awesome article! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: RW8888
Yes very good, thanks. "Up is almost always your friend", and the standard ANC, Aviate, navigate, communicate. Good advice.
Thanks for posting.

Reactions: RW8888
Good article on keeping your cool, I remember the first time I lost com and my tablet crashed! nerve racking and my cool was not so cool but the craft came back and I cleaned my shorts. 2 years have passed and now calm is the norm. One thing about the article I think we should clarify. In the beginning of the article he talks about a compass failure then doe's not say how he proceeded with the issue, later he says that RTH is your friend and it is... most of the time but in a compass failure to my knowledge RTH in a compass fail will not necessarily bring your craft back home as the bird doe's not know any azimuths and it could just fly away in the wrong direction. I would switch to atti and fly my craft home using visual and the map, not sure how well the map would work, the bird pointer might be pointing the wrong way but I would think the flight path would be available. In atti GO still shows the flight path, GPS is not used for position but it still is active. Also would the second compass take over and give you azimuth? How would you proceed in a failed compass situation?

Good article on keeping your cool, I remember the first time I lost com and my tablet crashed! nerve racking and my cool was not so cool but the craft came back and I cleaned my shorts. 2 years have passed and now calm is the norm. One thing about the article I think we should clarify. In the beginning of the article he talks about a compass failure then doe's not say how he proceeded with the issue, later he says that RTH is your friend and it is... most of the time but in a compass failure to my knowledge RTH in a compass fail will not necessarily bring your craft back home as the bird doe's not know any azimuths and it could just fly away in the wrong direction. I would switch to atti and fly my craft home using visual and the map, not sure how well the map would work, the bird pointer might be pointing the wrong way but I would think the flight path would be available. In atti GO still shows the flight path, GPS is not used for position but it still is active. Also would the second compass take over and give you azimuth? How would you proceed in a failed compass situation?

RTH during a known failed compass situation would most likely result in an inaccurate RTH.

We teach our students to "Fly The Aircraft" until you can no longer fly it and don't use RTH as your "optional landing routine".

Reactions: Erised and Loz
Great article. Luckily when I started with my P3S long ago, I didnt trust RTH since I was so new to the tech. Now, with experience and my P4P and MPP, I trust it as long as the home point is good; but Ive still only ever used it to prove to others that it actually works. Usually from only about 200-300 feet away.

Good articles - attitudes - like this should be the norm. "Be prepared" works and there is much more depth to this essential-for-success mental process than generally appreciated.

Learn to use your brain better. And better. And better. Emotion - as different from constructive/useful feeling - commonly gets in the way of rational thinking, adding to any problem, and so reducing performance.

Yes, Return to Home is a good option. But Return to Brain is best.

What could go wrong?

When I'm attaching my props, that's what I ask myself. What could go wrong (with this flight)?

SB

What could go wrong?

When I'm attaching my props, that's what I ask myself. What could go wrong (with this flight)?

SB
Imaging if everything is fine and the aircraft is flying very well and suddenly from nowhere... A bird came and attacked your aircraft. Now the aircraft lost a prop and crashed. You don't know where it is. Be prepared for anything.

Reactions: Cellblock776
Imaging if everything is fine and the aircraft is flying very well and suddenly from nowhere... A bird came and attacked your aircraft. Now the aircraft lost a prop and crashed. You don't know where it is. Be prepared for anything.

You've miss understood my post.

It's about going over the possibilities with the flight. Wind? Powerlines? Trees? People issues? And sure, birds.

SB

What could go wrong?

SB

Exactly! That's Aviation 101. Always thinking and trying to be prepared for that "Uh OH!" moment to the best of our ability.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl